Just 6 months in fixed income

I'm retired on $3300 a month. I'll have a fair amount of initial cash to get to Scotland and live for a few weeks maybe months. Basically if I had $20,000 cash on hand and an income of 3300 a month where should I go first? I visited ten years ago and loved my stay, but only 3 weeks left me wanting. I enjoyed Edinburg, obviously, but only had a couple of days in Glasgow. I loved the Highlands and Aberdeen. What should I do? And what would I be able to do on the budget I've noted? Should I hire a car and drive to explore on my own? Should I find a short term rental in a city and do short ventures from that home base? I plan on staying about 6 months or as long as I legally could.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The UK does not offer retirement visas to any nation.  As a US citizen (passport holder), you can apply for the Standard visitor visa (link) to stay for up to 6 months.

As for how far will your money go, there is a website called Numbeo which provides costs for living in many countries of the world; this link will take you to their costing data for Edinburgh.  There is plenty of further data on the internet on rental costs that you can compare.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic it does help, thank you. I'm not looking to move there, just find a cool little town to hang out with the locals for a few weeks, then on to the next town. Just a vacation for a couple of months.

Hi again.

Then perhaps go during August when the Edinburgh Festival and also the Military Tattoo are on; links to both websites are below:

You'll also (perhaps) get some better weather; accommodation will be expensive, when we went, we stayed in Dunbar in an AirBnb we found there and then got the train or bus into Edinburgh for the events.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@rogerquiett

Hi, Roger! If I had the resources you do, I would make my way to Skye and then over to Harris and Lewis, taking about 30 days to explore while staying at least 3 days in one place, if not more. By then, you'll know where you want to settle for the remaining months. I just returned from three months on the Isle of Harris, and if I were to go back, I'd stay up in Stornoway in a "self-catering" cottage, and take the bus down to Harris once or twice a month because it is so beautiful.

Nothing beats the outer islands in Scotland. They have it all; great food, sheep/pastures, mountains, rivers, great grocery stores, and the people are lovely.

Melanie x