Proof of onward travel (POOT)

Hi there

I will be going to Cambodia in a few weeks... I am a Canadian that is currently in Vietnam and I purchased a one-way ticket to Phnom Penh.  I will get an Ordinary Visa on arrival at the airport, then will apply for the 1 year Retirement Extension (ER EOS) afterwards via an agent.

During my previous trips to Cambodia (pre-Covid) in 2013 and 2015, I was never asked for proof of onward travel (POOT).  Since I will be flying in on a one-way ticket again soon (with Air Asia ... Vietnam-->Bangkok-->Phnom Penh), has anything changed or will the airline ask for it?

Thanks for your assistance.

@zeubie

First I wonder why you don't take the bus from HCM to PP but that aside.

Cambodian immigration has no rules about onward tickets, they don't bother.

It's the airlines that sometimes are a pain in the neck. They have a perfect solution, namely you sign a waiver that you are responsible for return costs in case you are refused entry.

So the easiest way is to call the airline and ask for their policy and if necessary bring up the waiver.

Good luck.

Joe

@JoeKhmer

Thank you for your reply. Regarding why I did not take the bus from HCMC to PP:

• I am in Da Nang (central Vietnam) so a bus ride would be too long for me; and
  • I had a credit with Air Asia from when they canceled international flights in March 2020 (beginning of the pandemic). The credit basically covered my entire airfare, so I used it up :-)

I will contact Air Asia and ask them. I read this morning about people (going to other Asian destinations) on a one-way ticket being asked to sign the waiver you mentioned.

I will report back after I arrive in PP and let you know my experience.

Thanks for your help. All the best.

@zeubie The other solution I have used before (not for Cambodia for somewhere) is to use a service that sells onward travel tickets. These are real tickets and you get the printed itinerary to show on your phone or print out. I spent $12 on them a few times. I cannot remember for where but I think I felt safer with having these just in case. I would definitely ask the airline for their policy like Joe says. It just goes to prove the old adage in this forum:

Joe knows!

Take care. Safe travels.

Hi Everyone.

Thanks again for the previous responses. I just wanted to post my recent experience flying to Phnom Penh from Da Nang, Vietnam on a one-way ticket.  I previous chose to take the chance not to book a flight out of Cambodia as I had flown with Air Asia several times before to Phnom Penh as was never asked before.

Upon check-in in Da Nang airport, the first question the Air Asia agent asked me was, "Can you please show me your ticket out of Cambodia with 30 days?". I did not have one. She told me that would not be allowed to board without POOT.

So, I booked an inexpensive ticket ($50) right at Da Nang airport to Thailand departing in 4 weeks.

Checking in again, I got a new agent. She also asked for my POOT, as I expected. Then she asked me to see my hotel reservations for the ENTIRE time I was going to be in Cambodia. I am staying at a small guesthouse in Phnom Penh, I made the booking via Telegram, so I had nothing to show her. But I gave her my phone and told her she can read the Telegram dialogue so she could see that I had a place to stay.

She spent 5 minutes reading my phone, then called a supervisor. After they were satisfied that I had a reservation and enough funds to support myself (they asked my how much cash I had on me plus what credit/debit cards I had), they printed my boarding pass and accepted my bag.

I asked the agent, "Why all of strict requirements now? I never had to show any of this before." She replied that in order to get a visa on arrival and to let me on the airplane, Cambodian immigration requires them to do this.

Of course it was quite the hassle, but I made it. Never had this experience before. BTW, I am traveling on a Canadian passport.

Just a heads up to all of you who are considering traveling to Cambodia on a one way ticket. In the end, it was my mistake, I should have called Air Asia and spoken to a real agent as opposed to using their "interactive assistant" on their website.

All the best.

Yes, it seems strange; maybe they have become stricter recently, but I think its more likely the airline and the way they interpret the rules. For those who do not know when they will be leaving the country, an "onward ticket" booking for $12 is a good solution. Also you can book a hotel on Booking.com, get an email confirmation, then cancel the booking, so you can show the confirmation email to the check-in desk. However, I know several people who have entered on a one-way ticket with hotel booking for first few days , with no problems.

It's obvious they're tightening things up regarding who comes here now.

Long term Visa holders in Cambodia may have to jump a few more hurdles to get/renew their EOS retirement visas ,,and all long term Business ,  Employment cases as well.

Last week the Dept of Immigration had a meeting & proposed introducing proof of Financial Capacity & Health Insurance prior to Visa issue. 

Given the problems in neighbouring countries with the massive influx of people fleeing War & civil unrest zones resulting in overstays , illegal work, & arrivals simply running out of money & turning to crime.     Thailand & Indonesia have stopped VOAs from certain countries to slow things down.    A lot of media coming from Thailand , Vietnam & Indonesia indicates they're looking at attracting quality , not quantity now.    They're sick of destitute arrivals. 

I've met “travellers” here that arrived after hitch hiking on freight trucks from Thailand. 😳

It's obvious Cambodia wants to raise the Bar to hopefully not become the Easy Visa destination of choice for destitute drifters. 

Health Insurance…..?   Hard to get for the elderly & if so….very pricey.

My guess is….if Health Insurance can't be obtained, a bank bond deposit to cover the clean up if required.   That's why some countries impose it…..it's basically a funeral bond🤔

I suppose they could shovel your ashes into a DHL satchel & mail it back to where you came from.  I suppose we could strike a deal with them on that & even donate the shovel.

It will be interesting to see what eventuates.   

Things certainly changed recently. I've never travelled without a return ticket, so never questioned.

Only times when taking my Khmer partner to Malaysia, when I was quizzed on occasion, not when we visited Thailand.

I was lucky to have had travel insurance with my bank (NatWest) for over 25 years, so still covered, with excess, at over 90! (85 cut-off normal)

Never claimed medical - only once when delayed as Covid hit, with cancelled flights.

The "funeral bond" sounds interesting. :-)

@Willdduff

I suppose we'll find out soon.  Immigration had the meeting on 2nd May apparently…..and the word “Mandatory “ health insurance for all E visa types 3 mths & Up…..and proof of financial support .

Mandatory……what if due to your Age , cover is denied.    What happens then. ?My guess is self insure Via a Bank Bond similar to other countries.    Pick a number ….Phillipines $10,000.   Thailand $25,000 approx.   

Interesting to see what happens.   A FB page ..Cambodia Visa & Work Permits group will likely update what happens…..if anything .

@Ontheroad57 my personal take is that they have probably done these meetings any number of times and said things, came up with plans, options, etc. I do know at my age it is no problem to get a health plan and coverage from a national provider. I already have a quote and let them know I would respond with any more questions when the time was good. They have many different alternative plans I could choose from and they're very helpful with answers.

Their office is in PP.

@mpmilestogo

Having Insurance is one thing…..but will they pay.?

A guy in SR last week had a serious road accident, leg badly smashed up , has Insurance with a well known Global company ,,but the Hospital wanted the Cash Up front before even looking at him. 

His friends were trying to find a medical facility to treat him urgently pending getting enough cash together.

Last we heard amputation was likely since the wounds became infected , gangrene etc…..so not good.   

However, for a lot of us, the likely scenario will be a road accident , usually late , and any trace of alcohol negates the policy.   How many blokes here like a drink 🥃 eh….

And most policies won't pay unless a BAC was taken (blood  alcohol content) regardless of the situation.  Slip & fall at home, on the street etc ….if you have alcohol in your system , you're stuffed &  if the BAC wasn't taken to prove you didn't have alcohol in your system ……bye bye.   

Insurance ……don't leave home without it.😆😆😆😆

@Ontheroad57 There are at least two national carriers of health coverage in Cambodia. I'm dealing with one now. Before I sign with them, I will do some diligence and look at how they operate. Personally, I don't believe any of these things will happen until they happen. My girl friend and I talk about this every so often. There is really nothing we can do or not do until we know what they will do. We can speculate about insurance, minimum amount to earn, etc. I know for me, I don't want to leave now when I just found what I have now. But as she says, all these rumors are nothing.

When they announce a thing, it becomes a thing. Until then, it's so much speculating. I could have health cover in a week if I wanted with a Cambodian company that has been doing this for years. I think I make enough to prove financial stability. But all that is smoke and mirrors until its not.

Like I said I bet they have done this same thing every year. To me, the retirement extension of stay is a profitable enterprise for them. Maybe they will require health cover or minimum benefits. We don't know. What we do know is what we have now.

@mpmilestogo

It's just a wait & see.   But that Immigration meeting had 14 photos in the media of all the “officials “ sitting around a big screen cooking up something.

Its not a rumour.🤓

First we'll hear is likely thru that FB page Cambodia Visa & Work permits group…since a few members on there appear concerned.

The pandemic changed everything.   Change is inevitable these days the way the worlds going.

it's always handy to have a plan B….C maybe a D. 

Im in SR…..if you're around we might grab a coffee one day. 

@Ontheroad57 yep. I'll be back in SR on the 21st. How about coffee that week? I'd like to chat with you about Vietnam too. We could meet over at temple coffee. Maybe the 24th? Any day that week is good. 

Sounds good..I'm nearby that place.

VN vote on the 3 month Visa return  on the 23rd.   But actual implementation could be November...if at all.

I'll message you on/around 24th. 

After work involving Insurance companies I know what they're like.  The Big print Giveth...the small print taketh away. 😀

Well, health care here is a paid service, so costs nothing for the government. The problem is when aging expats die, often the police and government have to take care of the remains, usually cremation at a local pagoda. It is likely that some sort of funeral insurance would be compulsory, similar to the health insurance that visitors had to buy during Covid, run by Forte, a local company. That cost $90 for 3 months. When we get sick without insurance we either pay to go to a hospital or we die, its that simple, and most expats I know in the 60 to 80 age bracket take that risk since the cost of health insurance at that age, especially with pre-existing conditions, is astronomical.

Given that this “Draft proposal” regarding Insurance will need to be chewed over,,,it's likely they'll realise that those on the ER Extension of stay (old folks) are highly unlikely to even get Insurance …..so what then.?

Carry a note in your back pocket authorising whoever finds you sprawled on the road to harvest one of your Kidneys to pay the bill.  Ive heard a kidneys worth @ $40k in China.

And write in Texta .…”Look in back pocket “ on the front of your Helmet assuming you wear one.