A1 certificate advice

Hi,

I am applying for the digit nomad visa, but need the A1 cert first. My employer completed the CA3822 form but on it it's asked for your address (said add in foreign country address where you intend on residing in) however the address is needed for HMRC to post your A1 cert to, which has to be my UK address as we can't apply for the visa until we have the A1, so I can't risk going to spain now as HMRC has delays of 10weeks processing time and I would therefore be out of my allowed stay period of 90days.

Has anybody completed the A1 forms with your UK address on it and received it there without any issues?

@jodieggentles Hello, I am also going to be applying for this visa. Did you have to go to the Spanish Embassy in London to apply? What is the A1 Certificate?

Thank you

Hi Ellie,

I have an immigration laywer applying for the visa on my behalf and they will do this the minute I arrive in Spain as it will then be valid for 3yrs. If you apply from the Uk its only issued for 1yr.

Before you can submit your visa application you must have an A1 certificate which is HMRC's certificate informing your employer to continue deducting NI from your salary in the Uk and to stop you paying it in Spain. To get this there are 2 parts that need completing. First your employer has to complete form CA3821. This is done via their gateway ID and is the first step requesting it. That is taking up to 15weeks now. Once its approved your employer  then needs to fill in CA8322 which requests the actual certificate and can take another 15 weeks.

They have long delays at the moment, so they have advised to submit both forms at the same time

Pretty sure the A1 form applies if you're self-employed or plan to be self-employed. I don't see any reason why you can't continue as a UK employee, if you (or your employer) prefer this. It is perhaps not the ideal long-term solution (when you probably should switch to self-employed, or incorporate your own company to invoice your employer(s).

@jodieggentles

Hi, We are currently stuck because of the A1 form and the Spanish government have given us 3 weeks to provide the A1 form otherwise the application will be denied. by any chance could you share with me what your A1 certificate looked like? We have waited for over 4 months now.

Hi

Ok so you do need the A1 certificate from HMRC. Firstly my employer had to complete the CA3821. This took 15 weeks to be processed and is the first part of the approval. You the complete CA3822 to get the certificate. This also takes 15 weeks currently as they have a back log. Ivhave mine now and its valid for 2yrs.

They can do an expidited application once you submit the form. You would need to just ring them and explain the urgency

@jclu91

HI, If you ring HMRC they will.look at it and see where it is in the process as it shpuld have been done by now. They can process it urgently and post it to you

@jodieggentles

Thank you for your response. Both applications were sent off months ago. Every time we call HMRC they say theres nothing that can be done. They've not said it can be expedited. very painful part of the process as the rest of the application has been approved but they have now given us 3 weeks to produce this certificate otherwise they will deny the application

@jodieggentles Can I ask which immigration lawyer you used? Did you get the three years after applying in Spain?

@jclu91 - how did it pan out? I'm starting the process now myself