Landlord refuses to return deposit despite no contract or moving in

Hi guys!

I'm an exchange student, going to be staying a semester in Budapest. I'm having problems with one landlord. His method (well, his company's method, Guest Student Company) is to charge a 2 month deposit before signing or even being sent the contract. I know, I wasn't very wise to agree to that. Anyhow, a few days after paying that deposit, I realized that this accommodation is actually not a right fit for me after all, and kindly requested a refund. The owner refused to refund me. What can I do?

I think it is customary in contracts that the deposit is not refundable when the tenant bails before the agreed upon time period?

Hi guys!

I'm an exchange student, going to be staying a semester in Budapest. I'm having problems with one landlord. His method (well, his company's method, Guest Student Company) is to charge a 2 month deposit before signing or even being sent the contract. I know, I wasn't very wise to agree to that. Anyhow, a few days after paying that deposit, I realized that this accommodation is actually not a right fit for me after all, and kindly requested a refund. The owner refused to refund me. What can I do?
-@CroatianErasmusStudent

The only way really is to find someone willing to take on your contract. Sorry, but there is no other way because you broke the terms of the contract.

Hi guys!

-@CroatianErasmusStudent

No idea but it sounds like it is set up like a scam. 

Maybe contact a lawyer (cost more than the deposit probably)

I agree with SimCityAT. You should take this accommdation. When there you can possibly still look for an alternative and somebody that wants to swap with you and hopefully the landlord agrees.

Hi guys!

-@CroatianErasmusStudent

No idea but it sounds like it is set up like a scam.

Maybe contact a lawyer (cost more than the deposit probably)
-@fluffy2560

I would not see it as a scam, that's how rental property works. Most places ask for 3 months deposit upfront.

I would not waste money with a lawyer, they will only say what I've said and my advice was free. ;) I would only seek advice from a lawyer if they refused to give money back after your contract ended.

@CroatianErasmusStudent

Most likely the term which used is: FOGLALÓ

Which cc. means: "booking fee which will act as deposit after the tenant settles in" - if not definied differently in terms/ conditions (may not the whole will became a deposit, but for example - administration fee).