Green Card Question

Hi All, Im a 68 year old retired Englishman, been married to my American wife ( 64 yrs old ) for 16 years and we have lived in Yorkshire, UK since then. We are looking to move to Kentucky, my wife's home state and probably looking to rent a property there.

My question is I realise that in order for me to reside in the USA with my wife I would need a green card. Now to be honest I don't know a lot about green cards and Ive checked online but just got more confused.

So can anyone explain, in layman's terms what we need to do ? I know there is a long waiting list but we aren't in a rush so prepared to wait. We have got ourselves thoroughly confused with all the  forms we might, or might not need to fill out but I guess, with the long waiting list, its best to get the forms filled out asap? Also, How much does this cost ?

We hope someone could shed a little light on the matter, thanking you in anticipation

~~ Andy & Denise

Hi Andy

Sad to say l am going through the same process and it is taking ages. lt took me a year to get all the paperwork done and l submitted it in mid December last year and l have heard nothing since. lf you chase it up they just tell you that it is being processed . Even after that you have to wait for an appointment at the National Visa centre wherever you live and have a medical before that and then it is down to a visa officer to say whether you can go or not. lf they dislike you you are out…

My wife is American and we have been married a number of years and we were together years before that, but that does not count.

We are documented Europeans, but we are treated as if we were undocumented and from a third world country. My family over there are furious, but powerless.

So far l have spent around five K, but the interview expenses will add at least another K to that.

Travel, hotels medical expenses food etc.

They tell you not to sell your house, your car and pack up your life, but if they do allow you in they dont allow you much time to sort out your life and they could refuse access if it takes too long.

Hardly welcoming

As my son said ' Every obstruction is put in your way'

You could use an immigration lawyer, but you will pay more.

@baliniere … many thanks for your reply, certainly food for thought, thats for sure.

I wish you well for the future.

Hi All, Im a 68 year old retired Englishman, been married to my American wife ( 64 yrs old ) for 16 years and we have lived in Yorkshire, UK since then. We are looking to move to Kentucky, my wife's home state and probably looking to rent a property there.
My question is I realise that in order for me to reside in the USA with my wife I would need a green card. Now to be honest I don't know a lot about green cards and Ive checked online but just got more confused.
So can anyone explain, in layman's terms what we need to do ? I know there is a long waiting list but we aren't in a rush so prepared to wait. We have got ourselves thoroughly confused with all the  forms we might, or might not need to fill out but I guess, with the long waiting list, its best to get the forms filled out asap? Also, How much does this cost ?
We hope someone could shed a little light on the matter, thanking you in anticipation
~~ Andy & Denise

-@andy63

I can give you some advice on this as I and my Romanian wife have gone thru this similarly.  I was living in Romania for 10+ years with her and my dual citizen children.

This link will outline the process:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … use.html#2

The way we went about it and timeline:

Myself and my daughter (oldest child) moved to Michigan from Romania to re-establish domicile in the USA. (April 2018)

Filed I-130 petition for spouse visa (May 2018)

Filed I-864 Affadavit of Support, DS-260 form, and submitted photos and supprorting docs (Aug? 2018)

Received notice that the case was Documentarily Qualified from NVC and sent to the Embassy (May 2019)

After a delay due to NVC error (they somehow didn't send the file to the Bucharest embassy.  I contacted the embassy directly and asked them to intervene.  They got the case transferred and set the interview days later)  July 2019

Visa Issued and my wife and my son traveled to Michigan (July 2019)

We went to Romania to visit and be together a few times during the process.

Romaniac

Not part of the process exactly, but my wife traded up her green card for U.S citizenship last month.  So were all done with USCIS entirely now.

Many thanks for your reply and Im glad you and your wife have got things sorted out happily. I think its important that we start the process of me obtaining a Green Card as soon as possible as it seems to take a long time to get everything done.