Uh...housing in Lima

OK. You are probably sick of that question. I'm relocating from Asia, so Peru seems insanely expensive. I'll be working in the Miraflores area, and don't even know where to begin looking for a itsy-bitsy studio, without cockroaches or security issues. Anyone have recommendations on websites/realtors who can help? My move is planned in January.

@ginsinmac

Hello and welcome !

Till members guide you, feel free to create an advert in the Housing in Lima section of the website. You might receive some offers.

You may also contact the professionals registered in the business directory : Real estate agencies in Lima

All the best

Bhavna

Thanks. I'll do that.

You can try Locanto for Lima.  It's a site where individuals and agencies may post free ads for goods and services.

https://www.locanto.com.pe/lima/

Look under Inmobiliaria and click on Departamentos en alquiler to see apartments for rent.  If you are adventurous and want to save money, click on Alquiler de habitaciones to see rooms for rent.  Look on the left side of the screen to see a clickable alphabetical listing for areas in Lima, including Miraflores.

Another strategy is to rent from AirBNB for a few weeks/months and during that time, hit the pavement and look for signs in windows for apartments/rooms for rent.  If you see an apartment building that you'd like to live in, talk to security there and offer some money as a finder's fee if they alert you to an apartment for rent that you end up in.  You could offer anywhere from 100 to 500 Soles (about $25 to $125 USD).

AirBNB for Lima is here.  You will have to look some for low prices but often for a longer stay you can negotiate a lower price than what is listed, with the owner.

https://www.airbnb.com/lima-peru/stays

Hello, I hope this finds you well. I believe Urbania is a good and reputable site where you can find a lot of listings. The reason for the insane pricing you are seeing is most likely also because Miraflores is one of the most expensive places to live in the entire country. It is also where most tourists will stay. Granted, it is a very lively district with lots of things to do and great dinning options. It is also close to San Isidro, which is where a lot of big office centers are located. However, if you are looking for a more affordable place that isn't too far away, you might want to opt for nearby areas of Barranco or Lince.

Thank you! I will explore the site. I am relocating from China and have a gazillion things on my todo list. I'm originally from Chicago where there is a night and day difference between neighboring districts.

Cheers!

@OsageArcher

Thank you.

I was planning on doing an AirBnB for the first month and pound the pavement. Your strategy is a big help. Currently, I'm in China where my firm found housing.  Can't wait for this new adventure to begin!

Ginger

@NataliaPB

Thank you.

I am more interested in safety. I'm coming from China where crime/break ins were uncommon.

@OsageArcher

Thank you!