Does DAFT visa allow you to keep your job in the US remotely?

Hi,

I am considering moving to NL with DAFT visa by establishing a company in NL and do business there.

I was wondering if I can I still keep my current job which is in United States that allows me to work remotely.

I am aware that you cannot work anywhere else other than your own company in NL, if you come with a DAFT visa.

Thanks.

No this is not possible. The DAFT doesn't give you a regular working permit.Check out this FAQ for more info.

@djacardon

hi,

thank you for your answer.

I don't think that Netherlands has jurisdiction in United States to restrict or hand out work permits.

I already stated that I am aware that you cannot work anywhere else in NL other than your own company if you have DAFT visa.

What I am asking is whether I can keep my existing job which is in United States and has nothing to do with the company that needs to be established in NL.

@Aykut2311

They don't know about your USA job (unless you tell them) so how/why would they restrict you? :-)

If you have a USA remote gig, maybe you could also be looking at Digital Nomad visas? (I don't know if NL, specifically, has one, but plenty elsewhere in EU, and internationally).

Also, what advantage do you see in having a NL company? (Or it's purely as a means to NL residence?)

@Aykut2311
They don't know about your USA job (unless you tell them) so how/why would they restrict you? :-)

If you have a USA remote gig, maybe you could also be looking at Digital Nomad visas? (I don't know if NL, specifically, has one, but plenty elsewhere in EU, and internationally).

Also, what advantage do you see in having a NL company? (Or it's purely as a means to NL residence?)

-@gwynj

The last time I checked, NL does have a digital nomad visa, but it's in one of their colonies in the Caribbean.

@djacardon
hi,
thank you for your answer.
I don't think that Netherlands has jurisdiction in United States to restrict or hand out work permits.
I already stated that I am aware that you cannot work anywhere else in NL other than your own company if you have DAFT visa.
What I am asking is whether I can keep my existing job which is in United States and has nothing to do with the company that needs to be established in NL.

-@Aykut2311

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

My understanding of the DAFT visa in terms of taxation is that it gave you the benefits of the 30% tax break without having to be an employee (you are self-employed, or ZZP as the Dutch call it).  That by itself seems to exclude the social taxes that Dutch people pay - they are not income taxes.  As a resident in the Netherlands, you will be assessed on your worldwide income, which by default means you will have to declare it annually just like everybody else, so the Dutch taxman will be aware of what you tell him.  As to whether they will tax you on anything is a matter for a Tax advisor and I'm not one of those; my advice always would be to speak to a tax advisor.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Thanks much for all of your replies.

@gwynj

This was a reply to @djacardon who said that 'The DAFT doesn't give you a regular working permit'.

I was just saying that Netherlands doesn't have authority in United States for work permits.

It would be quite weird to ask for a permit from Netherlands for a job you have in United States.

That is correct, I would like to move to Europe and this is the easiest way for me. On the other hand I have a job here that I like a lot and they let me work from where ever I want.

@Cynic

The last time I checked, NL does have a digital nomad visa, but it's in one of their colonies in the Caribbean.

I have no interest in moving to Caribbean.

@Cynic, your last post was really helpful, I didn't know that you have to pay taxes for your global income just like in United States. Therefore you have to let Netherlands know that you have job in United States anyway I guess.

I appreciate everyone's efforts to help me.

Thanks again.

Thanks much for all of your replies.

@Cynic, your last post was really helpful, I didn't know that you have to pay taxes for your global income just like in United States. Therefore you have to let Netherlands know that you have job in United States anyway I guess.

I appreciate everyone's efforts to help me.
Thanks again.

-@Aykut2311

Global income tax assessment is true in practically every country I've ever looked at; the important thing to remember is that assessment does not equate to pay; many countries have specific agreements where some business-related expenditure can be offset against your tax liability.  For example, I was able to offset the cost of overseas hotels, travel and office expenses from my Dutch income tax bill; the big shocker was the social taxes (27.65% of gross salaries) - link, the Dutch do not class these as income taxes and they explicitly do not permit any offsets - my advice is that you should speak to a Dutch tax advisor, it can be a game changer.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@gwynj

Curious for myself on this - if I was doing this as a means to NL residency...  and I made regular deposits from my U.S. account (where the paychecks go) into the Dutch business account, to effectively be income to the Dutch company, does this work?  Are there some checks on this I'm not aware of, or would it look legit on paper to suffice?