New members of the China forum, introduce yourselves here - 2024

Hi all,

Newbie on the China forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in China if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

i want to be a teacher online

You need a bachelor's degree or master's, a clean police record. most reputable  companies and schools will take care of your work visa.

Hi, My family and I plan to move to Beijing.

I am little bit of nervous. I have lived in only Korea, 

Thank you for your warm welcoming.

@annyhjbang

Hello and welcome on board !

Feel free to post any questions you might have on the Beijing forum so that members can help you.

The Beijing Guide is also full of resources.

All the best

Bhavna

Hi all,

happy to be on this board, I am Xue ,local in shenzhen of China, I had been in Australia,Turkey, Singapor, Thailand, Fiji.  I really enjoy to be in multipie culture, that's why I come here .

Thank you for your time and attention.

Regards

Hi all

I am moving to China from South Africa in March. I have been to Shanghai before but it was for a very brief business visit.

I am looking for people to assist me in settling in and learning the city.

Please drop your WeChat ID and I will send you a request. For some reason it wont let people add me - I don't get the request.

Hello everyone,

Welcome on board @Xue and LawyerForLife ^^

Feel free to have a look at the existing topics of the China forum to seek advice or just to interact with members should you want to share any input.

For newcomers looking for information, I would recommend that you read the Living in China guide for expatsfor all first-hand infos and that you open a new topic on the China forum to seek advice from members settle there.

@LawyerForLife, here os the link to the Shanghai forum

All the best

Bhavna

Hi Bhavna! Happy New year. Can you help me to reconnect with my business partner in Beijing. From my country the like there is a problem with delivery.

With kind regards,

Cecil.

@Cecil Semple

Hello Cecil,

Thank you, happy New Year to you as well !

Do you have an existing business partner or are you looking for new ones ?

Regards

Bhavna

hi all, this is Thomas@shanghai, i'm Chinese, i've been working and living in Shanghai for decades. Now what i'm interested is to exploring the rural part of Shanghai. for adventure ruins, to do agriculture picking, visit parks, etc. I'm doing these things just to get some fresh air from the concrete city life. and if you are you are interested, feel free to talk.

@annyhjbang Hey! lovely to see another Korean here! when are you planning to move to BJ?

Hi all!

I am Korean who grew up in Shanghai for 11 years (elementary to high school). After finishing uni in the States, I am now back in Korea to work but looking for an opportunity in Shanghai!

I am in luxury fashion industry FYI. Please feel free to reach out if theres any opportunities available!

Welcome to the forum

Ayan

Hi everyone! I just arrived in Shanghai about two weeks ago & will be teaching English here for a year. I am Chinese American (I don't know much Chinese yet unfortunately), but I'm looking to make new friends and connections while I'm here. I want to explore all that China has to offer and I'm always down to try new things! :)

@kendalljk

Welcome to the forum ^^

Feel free to get in touch with members of the Shanghai forum

All the best

Bhavna

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jorge, from Spain, I have been living in Singapore for the last 6 years along with my beloved wife Rocio and kids, both born here. My company recently decided to relocate our office to Shanghai to push on our largest market and asked me to move there to keep overseeing the business.

I have to admit we are very intimidated by the idea as we do not speak Chinese and it seems like China is the closest to moving to an alien planet one can do on earth when coming from the Western World in terms of culture, language, internet use, etc.

We would like to chat with people in a similar situation living in Shanghai to hear about recommendations on where to live, how s daily life like, etc.

Thank you in advance and don t hesitate to ask anything about Singapore if you are interested!

@JorgeMd  hahah jajaja "an alien planet " 1f602.svgWhat a unexpected description!  hmm I think you don't need worry much, shanghai is one of the most open cities in China.  Though yes because of the internet limitation and different politic system, China is very different from western country, but we all are human beings.

Thank you for your swift answer. I did not mean any disrespect by using the term "alien planet" just that following certain decisions taken at high levels to control the foreign influence through media and the internet and the protection of Chinese culture and language (something loathable considering it was paired with become the main actor in globalisation) as well as the, in my experience, relatively low adoption of English across the general population makes it difficult to find information and somehow intimidating to plan to relocate there, however, I am sure that is in great part fear of the unknown and, once on the ground everything is simpler

It is much easier than you think to move there and start working. once you get your visa paperwork taken care of and your apartment ,  it is quite easy to meet chinese people who  are more than eager to speak English with a foreigner…

China is different than other places, for sure, however, as china is the number 1 economy in the world, they didnt get there by copying other countries, especially the USA which is no longer a reference for much of anything anymore…

Best of luck!

Lmf

@JorgeMd

Also, dont forget, it is China and they speak Chinese there…

lmf

(14 years living in Shanghai)

@JorgeMd
Also, dont forget, it is China and they speak Chinese there…
lmf
(14 years living in Shanghai)

-@Lmflmf1

Do they?

I thought they spoke Mandarin, Cantonese, and a host of other languages.

I believe they write in Chinese.

@JorgeMd

no worries, I got you~ I also think it's like "alien plant" from local side lol sometimes . And you would be fine , we chinese learn English since primary school, just  it's culture not so open, so we don't have many chances to speak English ,only reading and writing is easier for most people. and Shanghai like I said is one of the most open and developed cities in China, there are many high educated people, they would be kind ,would like to help you. And if you visit Shenzhen or Chongqing, would like to help from me and my partner side . regards

@Fred

yes, actually Mandarin is Chinese, and it's the language that all chinese should learn in school time. Other languages depend on where they are born.

@Fred
yes, actually Mandarin is Chinese, and it's the language that all chinese should learn in school time. Other languages depend on where they are born.

-@luoxiaoxiaoxue

Not at all - It's Mandarin.

That language is the national language of China, but one of many languuages spoken in that country.

I believe 68 million native Cantonese speakers would likely disagree with your assertion.

@Fred

hmmm but  I am local ,what we learned from book or our culture since I was born, Mandarin can be approximately equal to Chinese . Moreover, I am also of Han ethnicity which is 91.11% of all Chinese population. Although the dialect in my city is another language, since the popularization of Mandarin, for foreigners, you can consider  Chinese is Mandarin .

Hello eve my name is constantin , im 23 and just moved to Dongguan about a week ago from south africa. I'm going to be teaching English for a year and im looking to make some friends and people in my area.

unfortunately i dont speak any chinese really , but im trying to learn. Im down to try new things and to experience everything china has to offer

@Constantineick

hi welcome, i  am in shenzhen,very close to dongguan haha. have  you found apartment to live ?

Embarking on a New Adventure to Suzhou: Moving in August!"

Hello All,

My name is Benan and I have some exciting news: I'm moving to Suzhou in August! I'm ready to embark on a new adventure in this beautiful city and am eagerly looking forward to making new friends and exploring its magnificent culture.

I've been researching Suzhou for a while now and am eager to learn about its history, culture, and way of life. The traditional Chinese architecture, stunning gardens, and cuisine have already captured my imagination. Additionally, I hope to immerse myself in the local community and experience everything Suzhou has to offer.

If you're living in Suzhou or considering a move to the city, please feel free to reach out to me! Your local recommendations, tips, and experiences can help me better prepare. I'm also open to making new friends and getting involved in the city's activities.

By joining the Expat.com community, I look forward to sharing this journey and starting my new adventure in Suzhou!

Best regards,

Benan

Hi everyone

My name Juliana I  am international student in Beijing. A Ghanaian, I have been here for a year.

Hoping to chat with people here.

Juliana

I have been living in Colombia for quite a while and recently moved to the US but am interested in learning as much about th 'new' China as I can. I say new China because I was in Beijing for a week in the mid-80s when most were still using bicycles except for government officials. I hope to update my knowledge.

Hello guys

I'm Shaf, 33, from the UK.

I will be moving to China for a new job as a chief technical officer for a large Chinese engineering company in the Zhejiang province (near Hangzhou)

I have never been a manager before, let alone a CTO! It will be a very daunting task, but looking forward to the challenge *gulp*

@shafmk22

Hello Shaf,

Welcome on board !

Congrats on your new position. I am sure you will manage to handle everything.

If you have any questions, feel free to open a new thread on the China forum so that we can guide you.

All the best

Bhavna

@Julien

Hi i am Lungile Banda, 32 years old woman from South Africa..i am looking for the job in the Junior Administrative level as well reception and secretary position anywhere in China.. i just want to work abroa.

@bandalu707

Hello and welcome !

Please create your CV in the Jobs in China section. The forum is not meant for job hunts.

All the best

Bhavna

Technically, at least for now, I'm not an expat. I just returned to the US at the request of a family member. Until last September I'd been living in Colombia for 15 years. I was in Beijing very briefly on a work trip more than 40 years ago. The Chinese history and culture fascinate me and I hope to be better educated about this.

I know of no better way than to interact with those who are there now.

@JorgeMd i am local Chinese,if you have any questions, we can talk, my email: [link moderated]. I am happy to provide help.

Moderated by Bhavna 2 weeks ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Julien planning to start working in China.

I am an engineer by profession. I have more than 15 years of working experience and 2 years of lecturing experience. I am enthusiastic, free-spirited, and looking forward to meeting new people in a new country and having new experiences.

Hi all,

I am ALI Ahmed from Connect Courier PK

For those navigating import logistics from China, check out Connect Courier. They offer air freight solutions from China and Hong Kong to Karachi, Lahore, and Islamabad, handling everything from small packages to full container loads and customs clearance.

More info here: ([link under review]) | (https://connectcourier.pk/china-hongkong-to-lahore-islamabad/) | (https://connectcourier.pk/china-and-hongkong-to-karachi-import/).