Bars and cafes business

guys and girls happy new year to you all

I want to ask if bars and cafes busines is warkiing well in greece?

I wantt o make one of them,while comming in greece

David, There is no simple answer to your question. There are cafes and/or bars that make millions and such that only last a couple of months and close. There are several factors involved: #1 Location, #2 Product mix, #3 Quality, #4 Service, #5 Pricing, #6 competition, #7 General expenses (including rent and staff), to mention only a few. You should also bear in mind that most of these shops have to put up with "protection" charges imposed by the local mafias, particularly if the business does well. It goes without saying that if you start such a business you should have a good working knowledge of the particular trade in general, AND in the particular location. I would suggest that you partner with a party that has worked in such a business and knows it well.

.All of Vasilis' advice is correct, but generally Greeks love their coffee bars more than any other location in Europe. Stroll through Glyfada and/or Kifisia, and you will get an idea.

.All of Vasilis' advice is correct, but generally Greeks love their coffee bars more than any other location in Europe. Stroll through Glyfada and/or Kifisia, and you will get an idea.

-@vchronis

You have not visited many other European countries like Austria then. Its full of coffee bars even in small villages.

David, There is no simple answer to your question. There are cafes and/or bars that make millions and such that only last a couple of months and close. There are several factors involved: #1 Location, #2 Product mix, #3 Quality, #4 Service, #5 Pricing, #6 competition, #7 General expenses (including rent and staff), to mention only a few. You should also bear in mind that most of these shops have to put up with "protection" charges imposed by the local mafias, particularly if the business does well. It goes without saying that if you start such a business you should have a good working knowledge of the particular trade in general, AND in the particular location. I would suggest that you partner with a party that has worked in such a business and knows it well.

-@VasilisC

do you mean taht for greek guy coming from foreign country with 80000$ it will be very diffical to open bar?

I'm going to come  when georgia will be part of eu union,georgian opozition clims that it will be after 4 year

I don't mean that you cannot open a coffee/bar business with $80.000. Of course, you can. The question is how far you can go after the opening date. Will you get the business and profits that you expect?

Wait until Georgia is in the EU first, it might take 2 years, it might take 10 years.

This was an interesting statement " You should also bear in mind that most of these shops have to put up with "protection" charges imposed by the local mafias, particularly if the business does well. " can you say more about that?  I had not heard of this factor before in Greece.  Is this widespread or just in big cities?

I do not have personal experience with such situations. It is a widespread rumor that such shops are victimized by the local mafias, but don't expect to find out much more, as such groups operate under the law of  "Omerta" (silence), and often police staff are also involved.  Just like it is in Italy and other countries. More I don't know and I don't know whether it is only in big cities or also in small towns.