Small towns for living in Italy

What towns with affordable real estate can you recommend in Italy? It could be central Italy or the South. Perhaps even a small town within an hour's drive from a major metropolis. The main preferences are few tourists, absence of large factories, and preferably close to the sea. Thank you.

Good question  im interested in that too 

Close to the sea with no tourists doesnt exist for at least 2 months a year.

BY major metropolis you mean Rome, Naples, Palermo and possibly Catania.?

If you count Salerno as a metropolis, then down in the Cilento is lovely, Paestum, and that area.

Alternatively at less than an hour from Catania, there's Siracusa, (touristy in Ortigia) less so in the rest of the town, and the surrounding area.  Puglia for me is too touristy unless you're up in the north - Foggia way or inland.   

You need to travel around until you find an area that feels like home, and then zone in.   

I must say your expression, "You need to travel around until you find an area that feels like home, and then zone in," hits the nail on the head! Because we're also considering a small town as a place to live and buy a house. Of course, after the BBC show about houses for 1 euro in Tuscany, there's a temptation to embark on this adventure... but somehow, I feel like we might encounter a lot of problems, even though I'm knowledgeable about repairs and design. As for your advice about Salerno, it's a fantastic find! Have you lived or vacationed there?

I lived in Naples for 5 years and went down there a lot.     Italy is so diverse that you really cant say 'Go to Puglia you'll love it'.   In my case I did the whole of Italy and always ended up going further and further south till I found home.   Even zones are widly different - Campania has everything, but once you get south of Salerno it becomes much more rural, and not what people expect Campania to be like.  Check out the Cilento places lke Palinuro and Caprioli - touristy in the high season but beautiful out of season.  Also inland like San Severino or Laureana cilento if yuo want to be further north.   Obviously what I like might not be what you like, so drive around and youll find the place the feels right.