USA State Residency

Good morning, Expat family! Yesterday I had a thought and started doing some research about it. But how do you handle residency issues in your home state? This is what I mean- in Vermont you need to live here 183 days out of each year in order to be a resident. If you don't live here that long than you are a non-resident. Among other things non-residents can't register cars or have drivers licenses. Since we would be in the DR at least 8 months out of the year that means we lose our Vermont residency. We will be selling our house but had planned on having a car here (parked at one of the kids' house), and we will still have our camp to live in during the summer. We had not planned on getting DR drivers licenses, relying on public transportation and Uber. One of the thoughts that I had was "I wonder how the people on Expat handle this", so here I am, asking how everyone else has dealt with the issue.

@sparks1093

Have you or do you have residency status in the DR? If not, have you started the Residency VISA process in the states?

How would the state know where you are actually living at any point in time? Maybe examination of your passport? But I suspect they would need a valid reason to spend time and effort to investigate.

I have never heard of this. Every state has its own rules I guess.

Couldn't you use your kids address for things like DL and motor vehicle registration? You could also try a mailbox service with a physical street address.

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56 not yet, this plan won't be implemented for 6 years at least.

@RockyM They'll know when I stop filing my state taxes. 1f601.svg If I'm not a resident then I don't have to pay taxes unless I actually earn money while I'm home.

@sparks1093 Looks like you want the best of both worlds - the benefits of Vermont residency (car registration & driver's license) without the costs (state taxes). Good luck with that!1f644.svg

@sparks1093 ok , well, Goodluck! You may also want to research the DR Immigration laws about when residencey status is required for the DR. Wish the best!

@taccj9903 Yes, those are both possibilities, but we really just want to try to respect the laws of both places we call "home" as much as possible.

@ddmcghee sort of. We know that we need a way to get around when we come back to Vermont since Vermont has nowhere near the same level of public transportation as the DR has. It might come down to getting a DR license and an international license and renting a car when we are home (and I have no idea how a car rental company would view that). There is some info on the Vermont DMV website that is hopeful though, at least for licensing- Vermont does offer licensing to foreign nationals who are visiting Vermont. I think we would be eligible for that but I have to do more digging since the website isn't exactly clear. We have friends who are doing something similar to what we want to do- they live in Florida most of the year and only come to their camp in Vermont during the summer. But then they are officially residents of Florida. (And I did confirm with them that Vermont does not tax their retirement income for the months that they are here.)

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56 yes sir, we have begun that research process as well. We want to dot the i's and cross the t's as much as we can.

@sparks1093

As a note; you will not be able to get a DR license unless you have a Cédula (DR ID) and a valid DR residency status.

I am not sure but the International Driving Licence I think means nothing here in the DR by law. Don't quote me..

You are correct on the international licenses

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56 thanks! I'm more concerned with what I could use in Vermont when we're home. I've lived here most of my life and have no idea if a foreign driver's license is recognized here (another issue to research).

Ok , just a thought and suggestion. If your going to be living in the DR for a majority of your time/year, and pass the DR tourist card time frame you may want to be living legally in the DR. That's a start...wish you luck and hope it works out for you.

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56 That is the tentative plan, to be a legal resident of the DR 8 months or so out of each year, returning to Vermont for the summer at the permanent camp we have. We have plenty of time for planning (including taking vacations in the DR to scope things out, spending time on the north coast, south coast and east coast).

@sparks1093

Goodluck!

@sparks1093

Just a thought.  Get residency in the DR complete with cedula, driver's license, etc, then use an international driver's license in the US?  You'll have to check the state requirements for how long you can drive on an international license.  Transfer ownership of your vehicles to the kids but provide them with money to keep them registered, insured, and maintained. 

"Move" to a state that has tax laws more to your liking?

You want US residency for the benefits but don't want it because of taxes.  Not sure you can have it both ways.  I think the whole point of that 'must reside in the state' a certain number of days a year is to prevent this sort of thing. 

@sparks1093
Just a thought.  Get residency in the DR complete with cedula, driver's license, etc, then use an international driver's license in the US?  You'll have to check the state requirements for how long you can drive on an international license.  Transfer ownership of your vehicles to the kids but provide them with money to keep them registered, insured, and maintained. 

"Move" to a state that has tax laws more to your liking?
You want US residency for the benefits but don't want it because of taxes.  Not sure you can have it both ways.  I think the whole point of that 'must reside in the state' a certain number of days a year is to prevent this sort of thing. 

-@SandyS_retired

The more I read the more that is what is making the most sense (and it has the advantage of also being the simplest)- getting a DR license and using an IDP for driving in VT. I am not at all trying to get over on anything, I want to fully comply with the law of both locations. The plan is to be legal residents of the DR and returning to Vermont for 3 to 4 months out of the year. We will still be US citizens, we won't have a legal residence anywhere in the US. My retirement (both SS and from my employer) will still be taxed by the US government but will not be subject to any state tax, since I am not a resident of any state. The vehicle registration isn't really a huge consideration, depending on what we have when we retire we may decide to just sell it and rent a vehicle when we are in Vermont, but as you say it's easy enough to let one of our kids register it and maintain it for us (and having the use of it when we aren't here).

@sparks1093

I completely understand the whole "comply with all the laws" thing.  It's frustrating when you're trying to do the right thing but keep hitting brick walls everywhere.  And you KNOW you're not the only person in the US who wants the same thing, so someone out there has an answer.

Also, regarding the vehicles:  at this time, you can't ship a car to the DR that is more than 5 years old, and buying a vehicle in the DR is a bit sketchy, in my opinion.  You'll pay almost as much, if not more, for a used car in the DR as you would buying one in the US and shipping it.  Just some food for thought.  If you are getting close to your move date and find an super awesome deal on a vehicle you love, you might want to buy it then ship it.  Do some research on the costs for shipping for a vehicle then decide.  Buying a car in the US then shipping it may cost the same as buying a used car in the DR, BUT, I have more faith and confidence in buying from a US dealer than I do buying from ANY dealership in the DR.

@SandyS_retired That's one of the reasons I started this thread- if I have the questions someone else may have it too, so maybe the thread will help them as well.  Thanks for the 411 on cars, most helpful (and one of the reasons that I love this forum, even though I've just joined)!

And you must own the vehicle for one year before buying or the exemption will be voided! So no you can't find a good deal and ship it.

And you must own the vehicle for one year before buying or the exemption will be voided! So no you can't find a good deal and ship it.

-@planner

Certainly a lot of things to keep track of! So buy a 3.5 year old car before moving to the DR if you want to ship it down. (I am presuming the age is determined from the time the vehicle arrives in the DR so one would want to allow time for shipping delays etc.). Whether or not we own a vehicle will largely depend on where we choose to reside.

@sparks1093 - No, the age of the car is determined by the manufacturing date on that car, not the date it arrives in the DR. And, remember that you must own it outright, with the title, for a minimum of one year prior to shipping it. If you're going to ship the car, do that only with the one-time discount/exemption for residency or you'll pay a fortune. There are a lot of threads and a ton of information here on expat, about residency, shipping, etc.

@colmcb That's an important thing to know and keep in mind- you need to own the car outright, it can't be financed. Thank you!

When I moved to the DR I had to become a legal resident to get a driver's license here and which I use when I leave the country.  I have never had a need to waste money on an International Driving Permit, which is NOT a license, but rather a translation of your current driver's license. 

So if you want to be legal here, become a DR legal resident, get your DR driver's license and then you can drive in the US as well after you lose your Vermont license.   Keep in mind to make sure you have the proper type of income to become a legal resident.

migracion.gob.do   for all that.

You can drive legally in the DR for 30 days on your foreign license.

Bringing your car here can be a nightmare, so make sure you fully understand how that works.

@sparks1093 ok , well, Goodluck! You may also want to research the DR Immigration laws about when residencey status is required for the DR. Wish the best!

-@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

Well, since you have to pay an exit fine after 30 days for overstaying a 30 day tourist card, the requirement for legal residency is pretty clear. One can call it a fee, if one wants.  The bottom line is you are no longer legally in the DR after 30 days.

And since  a foreign license is valid for 30 days in the DR, that is also a clue. And you cannot open a bank account after 30 days.

Yes I know, both those things are ignored by the police and migracion for tourist card people, but when that Vermont license is no more , then a license from somewhere will be needed to drive.

I know this changes and you will get different answers. However, I was told by imgration that if you extend your tourist card online with DGM and since its requiring a medical document that it does allow you to be legal up to 120 days with the proper fees and documents they are requesting.

Again, we know there are different answers but this is what I was told yesterday by my neighbor who works now at the DGM.

from the DGM website

https://migracion.gob.do/en/servicio/stay-extension/

REQUIREMENTS

Copy of the passport page where the biometric data is.

Stamp of the date of the last entry to the country.

Return boarding pass.

Own Economic Solvency.

Medical Certificate.

PROCEDURE TO FOLLOW

1- The user makes the extension request through the web portal and uploads the required documents.

2- The responsible staff receives the application online and debug the documents supplied by the user.

3- The request for extension of stay by the corresponding staff is approved.

4- An email is sent to the user informing about the status of their request.

5- The user makes the payment of stay online or at the airport.

None of that extension you pay ahead of time is part of the laws, either.  So there is that.

You still have no legal rights in the DR.

But as I said, as long as you are from a tourist card country and you pay one way or another,   they don't really care.

Paying the extension doesn't mean your license is valid for more than 30 days.  Drive forever , just don't have an accident. That is a different government department which has nothing to do with paying to remain illegally.

To summarize, if have legal residency, you can be here legally past 30 days.

@windeguy

Not going to debate with you. I am not a dominican lawyer.

I have different information provided by DGM.

Yes, 23 years here I know it's a different government agency.

As I said there are different answers and interpretation from different govt bodies about the law (  Ley No. 63-17 ) and the what the online extention provides you and the exempt countries pertaining to tourist VISA and driving regulations while here in rhe DR as a tourist.

Take care!

Regardless of the legalities, if you have or are applying for residence and have a modicum of Spanish, go and get a Dominican licence.  The process is quick and the tests, both the theory and practical are frankly so simple as to be difficult to fail. I originally went along to enquire about the process and pick up a copy of the highway code (yes remarkably there are rules of the road apparently!)  and the forms, only to be asked if I  wanted to do the test. Why not I thought and, without any study or practice, walked out a couple of hours later with my new licence. My view therefore is why, given driving standards on the road, take any risk in not having a valid licence?

@windeguyNot going to debate with you. I am not a dominican lawyer.I have different information provided by DGM. Yes, 23 years here I know it's a different government agency.As I said there are different answers and interpretation from different govt bodies about the law (  Ley No. 63-17 ) and the what the online extention provides you and the exempt countries pertaining to tourist VISA and driving regulations while here in rhe DR as a tourist.Take care!        -@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

People from tourist card countries like the USA do not get a tourist visa.  They are as you mentioned, exempt from having a visa. 

I have read the laws on tourist cards.  There is no provision in the laws for paying money for overstays.  That set of fees/fines for illegally overstaying a tourist card is an extra legal work around for those who overstay a 30 day tourist card created when the PLD was in charge of the government.  This fact  was confirmed by Dr Fabio Guzman of Guzman Ariza, a large law firm in the DR. 

I spoke to the manager of INTRANT in Puerto Plata and he told me a foreign license is valid for 30 days in the DR .  That set of laws regarding motorists has nothing to do with Migracion, but rather INTRANT.

All that said, I know people the live here full time and drive here on foreign licenses that enter on tourist cards.  They might leave the DR on occasion.  Nobody seems to care.  They even get insurance on their cars.  Unless and until it matters, it is what it is.   So just come, stay illegally and drive illegally.  What could happen? 1f923.svg

@windeguy

Again,  I'm not a DR lawyer or Judge !

So, with that said....

I am glad you did your further research and you are good with your information.

Take care!

I am trying to be informative.  The people at Migracion are not the brightest bulbs.  They are so used to their extra legal work arounds that they forgot what the laws actually are.

In order to avoid dealing with Migracion I become a naturalized DR citizen.  And so it goes.

@windeguy

o my ok  windeguy!

Take care

Here is a copy of the actual law on tourist cards. If one reads it, you will see how far away the law is from the work arounds of the law that are in place. 

https://dgii.gov.do/sobreTarjetaTurista … 199-67.pdf

Certainly a lot of information to know and consider. During this planning phase when we visit as tourists there is no chance that we would stay beyond 30 days, since our first trips will be less than 10 days. As we get closer to retirement we might take extended vacations of up to 3 weeks. When we pull the trigger on retirement we will be applying for Retirement Resident Visas from the US and finishing up the process at DGM well within the allotted 60 days. From what I've read so far it looks like the easiest approach will be to obtain DR driver's licenses once we've retired and leave our car with one of our sons, probably transferring ownership to him along with the registration.

@sparks1093

Good luck and remember in the DR a lot can change in days..Recommend at the "end of the day", seek good legal advice from a reputable DR law firm/lawyer with all your questions you may have about your personal migration journey when your ready to pull the trigger.

Good luck!

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56 absolutely! We know that between now and then a lot can change and will be on the look out throughout this whole process for any changes. And yes, we've determined that hiring an attorney to help with the details is a must. My nightmare is standing in line only to have a form rejected because a "t" wasn't crossed. 1f616.svg But then we've always lived life with a lot of flexibility, which I think will stand us in good stead during this entire process.