Peru in the Covid Era

Peru has closed its airports to international passenger travel until December 2020. 
No exact date is given.

Source:  www.colombiareports.com

Peru's international borders remain closed. 

----

Repatriation flights out of Lima have been scheduled for September 4th and 11th for USA citizens and legal residents who are negative for covid.  The flights are sponsored by Solange Rep Travel Agency.

The earlier flight is fully booked.  The flight on the 11th is currently available.  The flight is from Lima to Miami or MIA and is operated by Delta Airlines.  There is a form to fill out at the Embassy website.

Source.... U.S. Embassy in Lima website,
    Google: pe.usembassy.gov repatriation flights

Now, in early September 2020, the official death count from covid in Peru is 30,000, according to the latest reporting by National Public Radio.

Peru has the highest mortality rate from covid among Spanish-speaking countries in South America, at 93 deaths per 100,000 population.

Contributing factors include a sub-par health system and the 'unofficial' economy that causes many Peruvians to go outside to work instead of self-quarantining.

Source... www.npr.org
                (enter Peru, covid .. in the search box on welcome page)

cccmedia wrote:

Now, in early September 2020, the official death count from covid in Peru is 30,000, according to the latest reporting by National Public Radio.

Peru has the highest mortality rate from covid among Spanish-speaking countries in South America, at 93 deaths per 100,000 population.

October 13:  Peru has the highest per capita rate of covid in the world.

Over 33,300 people in Peru have perished from the virus.

Source... The Guardian as e-published at www.cuencahighlife.com

Lima, Peru, has run out of ICU beds for covid patients.

CNN, showing footage and reporting from two major hospitals tonight, reports that even if more ICU beds were to be added, hospital staff is already overworked and exhausted.

The Peruvian president appeared in the CNN report, saying 196 new ICU beds have recently been added and 350 more will be added in the next two weeks.

The report says covid vaccines are expected to be available in Peru around February 9.

Of the world's close to 200 countries, Peru has the highest per capita death-toll from covid 19, the New York Times reported on Sunday.

The Times report highlighted the fact that -- one month after Peru's presidential election -- no winner has been declared by election officials.

---

However, there has been no indication that Keiko Fujimori's claims that there was fraud in the election can be validated. 

---

Fujimori trails the likely president-elect, the union leader Pedro Castillo, by about 40,000 votes in the 'final' count, according to the Times.

cccmedia

Covid stats for Peru:  September 2021.

A year and a half into The Situation, let's check some covid figures on Peru...

There have been 2.1 million confirmed cases of covid.

Over 198,000 deaths have been reported from covid.

25 percent of Peru's population has been fully vaccinated.  Contrast that to Peru's neighbor to the North, Ecuador, where 75 percent of adults have been fully vaccinated against the virus.

Source... Johns Hopkins covid tracking

Covid stats for Peru:  October 2021.

Thirty-eight percent of the people in Peru have been fully vaccinated against covid.

2.182 million doses of covid vaccine have been administered.

Almost 200,000 deaths have been attributed to covid.

Source... Johns Hopkins U. Vaccine Tracker
                   as of October 9, 2021

When one mask is not enough.

The following is currently posted at the website of the U.S. Embassy in Lima...

"Double facemasks are required to enter many establishments, including shopping centers, markets, supermarkets, department stores and other crowded places."

-- cccmedia

Covid death rate for Peru way down since July.

The number of deaths attributed to covid has gone down in the past several months.

As of  July 17, the seven-day average number of covid deaths was 260 per day.

In the latest tally (October 28, 2021), the seven-day average is 33 deaths per day in Peru attributed to covid.

Source... Johns Hopkins U. covid resource center chart and statistics

Measures to fight an increase in covid cases in Peru.

Peru will institute new covid measures in mid-December, notably a requirement that people entering a public place show proof of two doses of covid vaccine.

The national health minister says this is the least people can do for anti-covid efforts.

--

According to the Johns Hopkins University covid resource center, 53 percent of Peru's population has been fully vaccinated.

cccmedia

Peru's covid numbers peaked last May, recently leveled off
at lower levels.

Covid cases and covid deaths reached their peak almost seven months ago .. and have leveled off at much lower levels in recent weeks and months, according to World Health Organization charts.

The total number of cases in Peru is about 228 million.  The number of deaths is just shy of 201,000.

That contrasts with Colombia, where cases have totaled about 5 million.  Colombia deaths from covid total about 129,000.

Sources... World Health Organization (Peru), Johns Hopkins University (Colombia)

I cancelled my flight yesterday and had a negative test but the Health Affidavit would not accept my cell number.  I sent an email to Promperu and my hotel and realtor.  Promperu has yet to respond, the hotel and the realtor had no idea.  The hotel number was accepted because it was Peruvian, but no matter what I tried with my cell, the form would not register.  I'll keep reading Andina and Expreso.  I'll try Promperu but with the new booster and a negative test, me swearing I'm healthy seems overkill and is keeping me out.

fleaing wrote:

I cancelled my flight yesterday and had a negative test but the Health Affidavit would not accept my cell number... no matter what I tried with my cell, the form would not register.

The website amazonas-explorer.com has some guidance for filling in that part of your Health Affidavit...

"Under the phone number section, if the form does not accept your actual phone number you can either put your country code in the city code section or if it still will not accept your number you can fill in enough numbers for the form to accept your number and move on."

Thank you for your help.  I'm hoping after the mandatory booster this extra form disappears.

Air travel to Peru entering December 2022.

I arrived by air in Peru two weeks ago, in mid-November.

The airline, LATAM, required me to buy an onward travel

ticket at the Quito, Ecuador, airport .. or they would not

allow me onto the flight.  This is the first time I am aware

of that an airline has enforced the onward ticket

requirement, which technically is their right.  I bought

a LATAM return ticket for December.

Peru imposed no special covid requirements although

we were all wearing masks on the plane.  I saw no

enforcement of mask wearing at the ticket counters

or at security stations at either the Quito or

the Lima airport.

There was no Chek-MIG document for Migracion.

(Colombia has been requiring that air travelers

fill out such a document for entry into that

country this year, although there's a YouTube report

saying that the Chek-MIG system in Colombia was

inoperative recently.)

Since arrival, nobody here has been pestering about

mask wearing from what I have seen ..

although (full disclosure) I have not had occasion

to enter a bank or a government building on this trip.

cccmedia in Miraflores, Lima

10/1 most mask requirements were removed.  Side note, I arrived without a return ticket and stayed for 11 weeks no issues.  When I was there, they made sure I wore a mask when I got on public transportation, but stopped enforcement once I was on.  I travelled all over Peru.