Issues with importing old computer parts for personal use

Hi everyone,

I tried doing a search, but couldn't find anything so I thought I could ask.

I am currently using an old laptop but really could use having a desktop. I looked around for some prices and am surprised by how expensive a decent computer is in HCM. I have an old desktop over in the States and was considering having my family ship it over.

They've sent a package before with an external hard drive and that came through without issue. After doing as much reading as I could, I am a bit worried about sending more computer parts. I was planning on having the main parts shipped disassembled without case (ex. motherboard, CPU, & RAM + GPU + hard drives).

I read that thief might be a problem or that it could be held up in customs. Is that a real concern? The parts themselves are pretty old and aren't worth too much, but it ends up saving me a few hundred bucks in the end... if I don't lose them or have to pay extra.

I'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts or experiences!

Cheers!
Steveo

You will have a lot better luck bringing in a used computer as baggage while traveling than simply shipping.   Of course, with the entry situation the way it is baggage may be impractical as you will not be traveling in and out soon.  You will need to evaluate if paying to ship a used computer, which is likely nearing obsolescence, is worthwhile.

If you do decide to ship, try to have the unit look as scruffy as possible on the outside and clearly mark it as USED in several places.  A few stickers like a teenager might place on the unit might help.  Also be sure that your unit is dual voltage or you will be needing power conversion as has been discussed here recently.   Many PC (as opposed to Apple) desktops have separate plugs for the monitor which also may not work on 220V.  Hopefully you have someone on the US end who could figure this all out.

Your allowed 2 electronic devices per pax, I bought 11 ( yes eleven )laptops in for donation with the red stamped docs, being assured by the recipient that the docs would get me through. At the airport I was asked for $200 USD which eventually came down to $60 AUD (caphe) If it does your head in trying to sort this here is a map of computer district in Saigon. https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffcm&q=17 … ;iaxm=maps

Unless you need the processing power, buy a TV and stuff the laptop into that. Add a keyboard and mouse and you have a desktop

As for prices, but depending on what you need from your computer, look at Chromebooks.
Cheap to the point of amazing but they do everything most people need .. and without all the Windows headaches.
An update takes 22 seconds (not a typo)

Hi everyone,

I tried doing a search, but couldn't find anything so I thought I could ask.

I am currently using an old laptop but really could use having a desktop. I looked around for some prices and am surprised by how expensive a decent computer is in HCM. I have an old desktop over in the States and was considering having my family ship it over.

They've sent a package before with an external hard drive and that came through without issue. After doing as much reading as I could, I am a bit worried about sending more computer parts. I was planning on having the main parts shipped disassembled without case (ex. motherboard, CPU, & RAM + GPU + hard drives).

I read that thief might be a problem or that it could be held up in customs. Is that a real concern? The parts themselves are pretty old and aren't worth too much, but it ends up saving me a few hundred bucks in the end... if I don't lose them or have to pay extra.

I'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts or experiences!

Cheers!
Steveo
-@stevengo

If the monitor is not much more expensive,then you can get somebody to buy for you small desktop size like ThinkPad Tiny T73 or something for 60 USD on ebay, it very small size but fully powered and I believe it is fanless.

[link moderated]

Just find some older models on ebay, you have also HP  elite series..they are so small yet powerful.