Working in Dammam and staying in Bahrain

Hello friends,

I was assessing a job offer in Dammam (KSA) and plan to stay in Bahrain with my wife. Wanted to know cost of living in Bahrain? Can you pls provide some inputs.

Do ppl travel from Bahrain to Saudi daily? Is it feasible? If I don't drive what are my options for the daily commute?

Thanks in advance for your help.
There are many threads in Bahrain forum for cost of living, go and look there. An example:

Also the topic of commute has been covered many times. Use search. Basically, it is doable but tiring and not very practical.

You will pay 50 SAR per day for a return trip as tolls.  And waste anywhere from 45 mins to 4 hours on the bridge in queues for customs /immigration depending on the traffic and your timings  (time estimate is for a return journey).

On top, depending on your nationality, you will need to arrange visas for Bahrain for yourself and family.  Your employer can help with a 6 month renewable temporary permit which allows you to live there, rent etc.... But does not count as a residence ie you can't open accounts, get loans and so on.  For a proper residence visa, you need to either be sponsored by a bahrain company, buy a property or open a company.

I do this trip weekly nowadays but from Riyadh - before it was daily from khobar.  Unlike you, I lived and worked in Bahrain for 4 years prior to this so had an established set up.  I own property which gives me a bahrain residence plus I use the vip card on the causeway which cuts my time on the bridge to 10 mins.  And despite all that, it was tiring as hell.

And before you ask, forget about the vip card.  There is a process to apply for it but unless you have serious connections, you will never get it as an individual.

If you don't drive, then depending on your budget, either:

1) Find someone to car pool with and share costs
2) Engage a driver / car service but be prepared to pay SAR 500-700 for a SINGLE return trip

Practically, neither of the two options is feasible (1 is really only feasible if you have a colleague in the same company in a similar situation - so you can match timings) so I suggest you drive.
@XTang
Thanks for your elaborate explanation.

Kindly clarify to me if I can travel to KSA from UAE in my private car and how long can I keep/drive my DXB number plate car in KSA. Thanks in advance for your help. I have residence visa in both KSA and UAE.
I already answered you here:

Thank you, highly appreciated.

@XTang

is it  same tiring travel to Saudi From Bahrain through causeway or the situation has improved for daily commute.

Any new change in getting VIP pass or omly available for investors in Bahrain

Daily travellers please give your views.

Doing it every day IS tiring.  I have friends who do this and always complain.  The causeway is better than it used to be in the past - most times, it will take you 20 mins or so to cross it.  Sometimes, more.  Be very clear on where you live in Bahrain as over the last year, traffic inside Bahrain has really gotten bad.  A friend of mine moved out from Riffa views to live in Saar to reduce his commute time by 30 mins.   If you want to do this everyday, you may want to live in Hamala/Janabiyah or Saar, in that order.   And put kids in school nearby those areas to avoid long distances for them.

Forget about VIP pass - unless you have serious connections or your company really pushes for it, you will not get it.

On top, I don't think you are getting the intricacies of the daily commute.  For one, you will have to pay 50 riyal each day for the toll as well as praying that Saudi immigration is in a good mood and doesn't stamp your passport both ways.   Bahrain doesn't stamp anymore but Saudi, again depending on their mood, might stamp it (even if you have a causeway book separately for this purpose).  So worst case, you might end up with 40 stamps in just a month! (2 per day for 20 working days travel).   The friends of mine who do this, are either Bahraini (only use CPR to cross) or have access to 100 page passports from their country.  The others keep having to renew passports every year or two years because of these silly stamps.

@XTang

thanks for your  detailed reply  as usual…