Gays in Serbia?

Is it safe for gay or Lesbians to visit Serbia? I was talking to one person, who is a Lesbian, she said she would never go to Serbia, because there is no protection for gay people, made it sound like her life would be in danger.

At the football stadium, you might draw a few looks, but nobody in the city would have any ill will toward you.

Serbia is safe for gay and lesbians.

Well, the Prime Minister is lesbian. the only problem they have with that is like the pride parade. Here you can be what you want to be just don't push or force it on others.

@Kneeland

Thanks, that is good to know, I have a family member who is and wanted to make sure she could visit, if I do make the move.......

Have you ever went to the firearms museum, in Serbia? I think it is the Zastava Firearms Factory. I have a couple of their rifles, and they are good quality rifles.

I absolutely disagree with the above comments. They are most likely from folks who identify as straight and have not experienced prejudice. As an LGBTQIA+ activist, I can guarantee you that we haven't yet achieved a safe atmosphere in Serbia. By no means is a same sex couple allowed to hold hands in public or kiss. Never. Let that sink in: literally never are you allowed to even slip up and accidentally hold your partner's hand for a few seconds or lean your head close to theirs. Such physical touch can exist but strictly confined to queer friendly spaces. But never on the street - never ever. Flirting openly is absolutely not allowed as flirting with the wrong person who is the same gender as you can induce violence. Every queer male-identified person I know has been beaten up at least once in their life on the grounds of their sexual orientation. Physical violence against lesbians is less common but still happens. And this is the capital city I am talking about. Everything outside of the downtown core of Belgrade is entirely different. It's even less safe, and no queer friendly spaces exist. Leading up to and during the Pride Parade, things become increasingly dangerous and rates of physical attacks on queer folks increase. Do queer folks live safe and happy lives though? Yes - once you know the risks then you can avoid them and find lots of supportive communities, allies, activists, and folks who are forward thinking. I'd like to think this is the majority of people but in Serbia, the majority is neither the loudest nor the most powerful. And are there fun, queer-owned and queer-friendly bars? Absolutely!!

Take good care of yourself.