Mailing Debit Cards from U.S. Bank To Spain

My debit card on my U.S. bank account will expire a year after moving to Spain.  Will they mail my new card to Spain or do I have to hire a courier or have it forwarded from my U.S. residency address via USPS.

I have heard in one case the bank will mail your new card to a Spain address.  I'm not sure how to notify the bank of the new address.  It's a ways off but I am wondering if anyone has had experience or difficulties getting new debit and/or credit cards mailed to their Spain address.

I'm thinking of banks like Wells Fargo, U.S. Bank, Chase, etc. not a small local bank... maybe.

I recently had a new credit card sent to me by USAA. The old one didn't have the right chip to work with the many one-touch payment machines used in retail establishments in Spain.

I changed my address  for mailing on the site and spoke to someone there to be sure. They sent the new card Fed Ex and I had it in less than a week.

I imagine it would work the same way for a debit card.

I have debit cards with Citi and Credit cards with Chase and both send them through regular mail on their expiration dates. They take a couple of weeks to arrive but arrive without any problems. A different question is whether your bank will like you having a non-US mailing address. Some banks want their customers to be US residents and some don't even let you chose a State outside of the US in their systems when changing your address.

@chasleslieb

As @dramallo says, some US banks don't allow you to provide an overseas address (and some won't even allow account access from overseas, you have to use a VPN). Even if they do, I'm not wild about sending debit/credit cards via regular mail. If they allow it, most banks insist on sending to this address only, which is a bit inflexible if you're a big traveller.

Personally, I keep a mail drop (with physical office/address) as my US residence address, and all my USA accounts (and my credit reporting) use this. I also keep a USA skype number as my local phone number. With the phone number I can pass security on most accounts (Skype accepts calls and SMS). Hmmm... as of today, it's now 22 years since I lived there, so I'm wondering if it's really worth the expense! But I'm kinda attached to my 801 credit score, and don't want to give it up just yet. :-)

Mail drops alert you to your mail arrivals (often with online access to check what you've got), and then you schedule a courier (DHL, Fedex, etc.) re-mail to whatever address you're currently hanging out at. (More expensive than regular mail, for sure, but I think it's worth it for security/flexibility.)

In practice, it's cheaper and easier to use a local (regular Spanish, or European ebank) euro-denominated debit card. Most USA credit cards have annual fees and high interest rates. Often with overseas transaction fees, and/or cash withdrawal fees, and/or rubbish exchange rates. Together, often, with quite sensitive anti-fraud controls so it's easy to get a card or transaction blocked (e.g. you're buying something in Spain, and they think you live in Chicago).

You can also use the same mailing address if you want to order products from USA websites at USA prices. Some won't ship to Europe, or charge very high international shipping rates. Better to buy several items, ship at USA domestic rates (free or nearly-free, often), then have the mailer aggregate into one big package. Less necessary these days as Amazon Spain is pretty great, and Amazon USA will ship internationally at reasonable rates. But occasionally it's still useful.

Great responses and ideas. Thank You

I will have a permanent U.S. address with a reliable and responsible family member to assist (including durable power of attorney) for business purposes. I've heard of a company called "Text+" that my daughter uses in Spain for security validation (text) and a U.S. phone number that uses the internet to transfer the voice/text data (thanks for the tip of using Skype as another source). My phone is new enough to be able to make "internet phone calls". I know that Wells Fargo no longer accepts a foreign phone number for their accounts but they do have an international access number to call them. She has a regular Spanish phone number for cell service and streaming data and she has the internet number which operates with the streaming cellphone data. It's seamless. U.S. banks and companies are only seeing a U.S. presence and number when they call and are not charged a foreign connection fee.

She also mentioned her U.S. bank (Wells Fargo) does mail her debit card to her in Spain via regular mail. I have been exploring the courier services of FedEx, DHL, and UPS and they are pretty expensive. I would think some enterprising person could enter the market and cut that cost down appreciably (just dreaming). It seems if a 30 kg box can be shipped for less than $200, then a flat envelope with a document should be significantly cheaper. I try and keep everything as paperless as possible. Consolidation of purchases and shipping from U.S. is a great idea.

I have a credit card that charges no annual fees, there is no service charge for converting currency; they treat the world as one entity thus they do not require you to get clearance to make transactions outside the U.S. I pay them with a U.S. bank transfer. I agree that too much security can lock out the people that are trying to be protected. Personal responsibility and awareness is the best protection.

Notwithstanding I will establish a bank account in Spain.

I also have discovered that one can obtain a debit card that debits funds in a Wise balance account so one does not have to pay a bank transfer fee out of the Wise account and into the Spanish bank. There is a small fee from the U.S. bank to load the funds into Wise... but their service fees are extremely low, the money transfers are quick, the exchange rate is based on the average of the high and low bid of the currency in real time...they don't try to make money on the spread or hold up funds. So far I have been pretty happy with their service. Another nice feature of a Wise debit card is that one's entire bank account is not at risk as a debit card is... just what amount is stored in Wise. One can also use the Wise card at ATM's (no fee for two transactions up to $100 per month) So one can transfer $2400 cash without a bank fee per year. There is a one time set up fee for the card but no annual fee.

Interesting comment about a credit score. Like having to surrender my Roth IRA... I've given up the concept of credit, but our lifestyle is pretty austere: no house, no debt, no flying, a small (paid off car)... entertainment is practicing a banjo, reading a book, or going for a walk. I don't have to worry about the wealth tax... not enough wealth to tax 1f601.svg

Thanks to all

@michaelbrourman

My understanding USAA is a special bank for military, veterans, and their families.  They are set up for international operations and have options available to customers that regular commercial banks won't do.  It is a great system for expat living if one is eligible.

Courier rates are very high though the reliability and speed of shipment are two good qualities.

Thanks for your ideas

@chasleslieb

I agree, Wise is very good, I've been using for a few years now. Revolut is also good and perhaps worth a look.

I've been 100% debt-free since about 2011, it's very relaxing. Our Spanish apartment and both our cars are Ebay bargains, as I'm trying to be a frugal shopper. :-)