Haiti Project

We are studying possibilities  to initiate humanitarian projects in Haiti like social services & infra development to generate jobs but we still have reservations because of the reported kidnapping of 17 NGO members & other media reports on gang violence. Can you please enligthen me on the current peace & order situation in Haiti?

There are some no-go zones in Haiti. However, I would encourage doing philanthropic work instead. I encourage NGO activities that will empower the locals to take charge of their lives and outcomes; in the past, they have not helped build communities.  Just my observation

@itprof04

Hi!

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know any Haitian who is staying in the Philippines? Can we initiate communication with any?

Thanks,

I do not know any Haitians in the Philippines. I know a few in Haiti I can ask them.

@litodan88

The recent kidnapping of 17 NGO members is a reminder of the risks and challenges that come with working in Haiti, particularly in areas that are known to be high-risk. It is essential to thoroughly evaluate the safety and security situation in any area where you plan to initiate a humanitarian project.

There are still areas of Haiti where it is possible to operate relatively safely, particularly in the capital city of Port-au-Prince and its surrounding areas. Many NGOs and other international organizations have been working in these areas for several years and have established measures to minimize the risk to their staff and operations.

It is crucial to conduct a thorough risk assessment and consult with local experts to gain a better understanding of the security situation in the areas you plan to operate. It is also essential to establish clear safety and security protocols, including evacuation plans and crisis management procedures, to ensure the safety of your staff and those you aim to serve.

While Haiti remains a challenging environment for humanitarian work due to ongoing security concerns, it is possible to operate successfully with proper precautions and risk management measures in place.

@itprof04 well said

Thanks for your thoughts. It helps a lot.

I heard one of the factors affecting the current situation in Haiti is political instability. Some govt positions remain vacant & offices not functioning.

Have you heard of any plan to hold elections or swore in new leaders? These could restore hope on the improvement of the situation which will further attract more help from outside.

There are no plans as of right now. I think the priority is to establish security. It looks like they are moving toward that mission. The police force is being more aggressive in cracking down on gang activity, and people are literally attacking and killing known gang members and associates.

@litodan88 I think @itprof04, just said everything, I don't have much to add.

Ok. Let's monitor developments & let's keep in touch. We really need to be very cautious. We'll prepare plan properly before we do anything.

Your inputs from time to time will be much appreciated. Thanks a lot!