Banco do Brasil ATM

I spend the majority of my time in Pancas ES a tiny town where the “ONLY” Bank is Banco do Brasil. So, for 20 years I've always used my TD BANK card for cash withdrawals without issue. Yesterday I tried using it at every ATM at the branch to no avail. I called TD Bank to check if they were declining the transaction and they said they didn't even see where there was an attempt to access my card. So, obviously it's an issue with Banco do Brasil. I saw on some sites online where people mention that Banco though Brazil is no longer working with foreign ATM cards. Something about the exchange rate or some nonsense. Just curious to know if someone on the forum has definitive knowledge about whether or not this is the case. So, the question is does Banco no Brazil no longer except for an ATM cards?

@bepmoht Representing Option B! i live in a small village of 2,500 which happens to be about 30 minutes from Jericoacoara, home of beautiful beaches and lots of tourist traffic. They have an ATM (I have also seen them in large tourist cities) which you can easily withdraw money (limit R1,000) with ease if your bank card is also tied into Mastercard, Visa etc. These ATM´s are golden if you find one.

As far as Banco Do Brazil, I coincidently am going there today to withdraw from my account. I inherited a smidgen of dinero and had the trustee wire some of it to Banco Do Brazil. That way I always had Brazilian money available in a Brazilian account and would have an option if this happened to me.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

@bepmoht

Im curious to hear if others had the same issue using USA debit cards in Banco do Brasil ATMs to withdraw cash.

This is a terrible thing that happened to you, and especially that there are no other banks to try in your area.

Suggestion maybe using a different United States bank's ATM debit card will resolve the issue.

What type of system logos are on your ATM?

Plus, Visa, MC?

See if the ATM also offers the same pics of logos.

Also what is the Bank Name of your checking acct? I'm curious.

This is really weird, and scary, to be stuck without cash.

One last comment:

When first moving to Brasil years ago, I remember someone posting a message on a blog page re- how Brazilian banks are like dinosaurs.

They are stuck in prehistoric times.

Obviously this person had big complaints about Brasil's banks too.

I know of a Brazilian that even has bank issues with banks in Brasil.

You'd think using a Brasil's ATMs are easier to use when tied to a Brazilian checking account but that is not always the case.

Out of all complaints I have with Brasil this is close to the top of list.

1. Create and enforce noise laws in all states and cities in Brasil.
  2. Fix the poor banking in Brasil. And also give people the choice to use their own 2FA apps of choice for banking tokens and not only the one assiggned bank in Android or Apple app store.
  3. Of couse figure out a way to make each city safer.
  4. Create enforced laws for dog poop like they have in the USA where police give fines to people that do not pick up their dog's SH-T.
  5. Oh yeah, almost forgot no spitting on sidewalks near people. A loogie almost hit my shoe a few times in Brasil. lol.

These would be easy tasks to complete for any new president.

If i were president this would certainly be my pledge for my first term in office.

But can you believe they can force you to vote in Brasil, and fine you for neglect to do so if a citizen, but wont fine you for letting your dog sh't all over town.

Brasil is a visually beautiful country, why ruin it with such non-sense.

Make Brasil great again.

Make Brasil beautiful again.

@ExpatUSATravels

The ATMS have the plus logo which always was the “magic” in past visits. As I mentioned before I've used my TD Bank card here for 20 years. I read where Banco24horas ATMs might work but the closest one is about an hours drive. Kind of a PIA. Pancas ES is very remote and devoid of gringoes. Not much demand for these types if services. I've been avoiding opening a Banco do Brasil account. However, after this BS I guess I'll have to bite the bullet. Long weekend as Monday is “another” holiday. Thanks for the reply.

https://www.bb.com.br/docs/portal/Dirac/Banco-24h.pdf

@bepmoht

oh yeah sorry, i forgot u said TD bank.

It is strange that if ATM has the plus symbol and your card does also then it doesnt work. Maybe your new next card will work.

I had banco Itau a few years ago but closed that account when leaving Brasil.

But now since coming back in 2023 i cringe to think about having anything in my name in Brasil again except for my permanent residency card.

unless i have to of course or cannot figure out other solutions.

Just remember if you are still a US citizen you must file an FBAR every year if u have "combined" amounts of 10k usd in all foreign bank accounts totalled up during and "daily" balance.

But if just transferring over only 1 or 2 K every month or two for spending cash then it is no issue at all.

And only costs about 1.5% to do a transfer to a Brasil bank.

I just prefer to keep my name out of the system when possible when abroad. Less problems i think.

But that's just my preference.

04/29/23 @bepmoht.  You could try visiting the manager of the BB office where you usually make your withdrawals on Tuesday morning.   They may be able to do something in their system to let you continue, especially since you're a local resident.

@abthree

Ya, we'll see what develops. My wife is very well known in this city. Her dad was a founding father and Mayor here for a few terms so it's not like we're unknown. It's just I am a procrastinator I guess😁. I'll figure something out. My main curiosity was if Banco do Brasil changed their policy, in general, when it came to the use of gringo cards in their ATMs. Nothing surprises me in Brasil. I overcame that many years ago!

As usual, thanks for your input.

04/29/23 @bepmoht.  If you do talk to anyone there, I'll be interested to hear what they tell you.  BB policy on US debit cards is a mystery to me, even though I bank there.  I have NEVER been able to get my US card to work there, although it works at Bradesco.  Last year when Wise's Brazilian partner bank screwed up my monthly transfer, I was withdrawing Reais at Bradesco and walking a block and a half over to deposit them in BB so we could pay our bills until it was all straightened out.  Crazy!

So with td canada trust. banco do brasil should work. however how are  you trying to withdrawl. also is it a visa debit card or just a debit card ?

How you access money here is a bit different. so like example - i want to make some purchases direct from my chequing account - you need to use visa debit at an atm, Your other option would be to open a local account or next time your passing through america, a banco do brasil location in america as they will accept your cpf. however the bigger problem is losing on exchange rates not only once, but twice. CAD to USD, then USD to BRL, those odds are not in your favor.

Banco24horas

These machines support the "Plus" network thats on the back of your card. If you need cash, I suggest visually driving by said ATM to verify its in a safe location.

But for withdrawls your still looking at visa debit.

However, With how TD canada trust is being shorttraded and making all kinds of bad news as of late. It may have been removed as a valid bank - I have no way to prove that however Brasils changes with banking is more fluid on an international level than one would think.

Let me know how it goes. Worst case you can hit up another branch of any bank, Like santander is another one. same with bradesco. Been able to direct withdrawl at any of those ATMs without issues! even Itau

Thanks for the feedback Mike. My TD BANK checking debit Visa card is with the USA  subsidiary. TD Bank, N.A. It's the United States subsidiary of the multinational TD Bank Group.

As previously mentioned, I've used it a boatload of years down here.

By the way, DO NOT- DO NOT, open a Banco do Brazil account based in USA. I made that mistake years ago. They are thieves. They charge crazy fees which make your money vaporize in no time. Also, it took me MONTHS, I repeat MONTHS to close the account. It was insane. This is another reason I've been reluctant to stick my toe in the BB water in Brazil.

Enjoy the holiday weekend

04/29/23 By the way, DO NOT- DO NOT, open a Banco do Brazil account based in USA. I made that mistake years ago. They are thieves. They charge crazy fees which make your money vaporize in no time. Also, it took me MONTHS, I repeat MONTHS to close the account. It was insane. This is another reason I've been reluctant to stick my toe in the BB water in Brazil.

-@bepmoht

I totally agree. When I was getting ready to move down I looked at opening a BB account in the US, and saw that it was all downside.

I have to say, though, that I've been banking with BB in Brazil for going on six years now, and all of our interactions have been pleasant and eventually gotten me what I wanted. I really work the relationship though, but it sounds like something that you and your wife understand, and should work well in your town, too. Whenever I need to see a manager, I block out about two hours in my schedule, have everything I want to talk to them about organized, bring a book, get my senha, and make myself comfortable until I'm called to the desk.

Yeah , the american TD is actually far more problematic as its not the native TD brand from canada. they have had nothing short of those issues . Sorry to hear that. quite possible its an issue with location values. but most of TDs support is offshored in india so you dont get an actual proper response due to not having direct access to the account to see why, lol

I Bank at Banco Brasil. I have found that if you want small amounts of money, it's usually no problem, but if you want to obtain larger amounts, i.e. R$1000 you tend to have issues. I called my bank in the US and was told it wasn't on their side.  It is the withdrawal limits that BB has implemented. If I went to Bradesco, no issues whatsoever. Also, I found that VISA at times would mark BB ATMs with a "high fraud" alert, which would lock out the card and I'd have to call my bank to unlock it. In years past I would use ATMs here quite a bit, but in the last few years they have started to collect the IOF fee at the ATM, so in my case at least, it's more convenient and cost effective to just use WISE to transfer the funds from the US to Brasil to my account rather than bothering with an ATM. As far as purchases in Brasil, I either use my US Credit card or pay with PIX. I never carry cash.

Regarding BB Americas, I have an account there and have never had issues. Their fee schedule is a bit on the high side, but you can avoid most if not all fees by keeping a minimum balance or having funds deposited at least once a month by direct deposit. I keep the account for emergency purposes to use to transfer funds to my BB Brasil account if for some reason WISE isn't available.

Thanks for the feedback Mike. My TD BANK checking debit Visa card is with the USA subsidiary. TD Bank, N.A. It's the United States subsidiary of the multinational TD Bank Group.
As previously mentioned, I've used it a boatload of years down here.

By the way, DO NOT- DO NOT, open a Banco do Brazil account based in USA. I made that mistake years ago. They are thieves. They charge crazy fees which make your money vaporize in no time. Also, it took me MONTHS, I repeat MONTHS to close the account. It was insane. This is another reason I've been reluctant to stick my toe in the BB water in Brazil.

Enjoy the holiday weekend
-@bepmoht

Yep, I too went down that path with Banco do Brazil in Florida. I had that account for a while, saw the fee structure, and tried to close it. In fact, I tried numerous times to close it until I finally gave up. I withdrew the account down to almost nothing, then just let it go fee dormant until they closed it.