Italian family coming to Panama

Hello everyone! we are an italian family of 3, me 46yo Mum, and my sons aged 16 and 20. We left Italy 2 years ago and we have no intentions to go back to Europe. We are backpacking low budget around central America. For now we spent 1 year in Mexico, 1 month in Costa Rica and less than 3 month in texas.

in 10 days we are arriving in Panama. I want to understand and live this nation and see if it is possible to use the Italy Panama friendship treaty to be resident here, without lawyers or agencies, since our budget is very limited.

what are we looking for?

A future made by sun,ocean, nature, quietness, agriculture, homesteading, rural life like my grandparents lived, history and culture. No dystopic society in my life anymore,please, just voluntary simplicity in nature.

We love volunteering for the environment, the oceans, and the animals especially.

while traveling we have been pet sitters, house sitters and workawayers, we are very simple and humble people, always ready to share and learn new skills and things.

We are vegan, follow a healthy lifestyle,  no alcohol. no drugs, no smokers, no cults,  but we have no problems dealing with everyone. In Italy we have been victims of domestic violence and abuses from institutions ,so we are not welcoming anymore situations in which people try to take advantage of us and our position. respect and human values come first.

I would like to meet like minded people, know more about Panama and its natural places and the chances to have a simple buen retiro in nature.

A warm welcome to stories and experiences of other travellers who settled down here and started from nothing.

A huge thank you to every help in finding a cheap basic accomodation in a strategic place, where it is possible to take public transport to see the surroundings and make trips. Have a wonderful day ! :)

I think you could find the life you want here in Panama. I'm from the USA and I totally understand what you are saying. I like life here so much more.

But, it is my understanding that a lawyer is required to become legal residents. I've heard of people working in hostels, farms, and other such opportunities that will provide housing and maybe food? Perhaps others here know more about this.

Welcome to Panama. I wouldn't recommend doing anything related to immigration without an attorney. I don't even think that Migración will allow it. With that said, here's an interesting post from the law firm that I used for my visa with regard to visas for Italians. kraemerlaw.com/en/immigration/panama-italy-treaty-visa/

With regard to where to live, I'd take a look at the town of Volcán up in the mountains in Chiriquí. It's far less expensive than Boquete. It's where all non-tropical vegetables are grown.

If you want a more tropical landscape, try the provinces of Herrera and Los Santos in the Azuero Peninsula. It's much much less expensive than Panama City with a much slower pace of life, but definitely tropical and relatively close to beaches.

They seem to have a strong Italian society in Panam City.

As far as I am concerned every place is as good as you are received by the people.

You may not fit in 1 place, go 10 min away and find paradise as people bring the warmth.

So, bobble around and find where you feel you fit in before making any plans.

The previous post seemed to be right on target / intelligent.

In Panama, it seems like you need an attorney for everything.

It seems like they feel; most people still can't read or understand, on their own & in some cases those brought up in other places tend to be self-reliant when it comes to the written word.

Panamanians don't tend to like those that question or buck the system, so keep things in terms of trying to work things out... a what I can do mentality.

This is the current perception of a Zoneite brought up around the world.

Panama definitely has its benefits Charms & natural beauty, if you find a place you fit in life can be good, parties are a plenty cultural identity its Pride.... Simplicity is available, not too hard to keep a low budget and its generally Safe.

Never seen anyone out to hurt or bother anyone, police generally make sure they are right about what they do, and you can always bump into a snake in the grass here or there no matter where you go.

All and all it's a good place to live and a good place to retire, you can hide in the woods at little to no cost. Buy a budget property with tile & if under a certain amount or you are of retirement age literally no taxes.

Building code are not impossible and in some areas, they are simply recording and giving suggestions for a very low sum.

Internet is not available everywhere, but enough places, cell phones & cable are relatively inexpensive compared to what I pay in the lower 48 (states).

other than that,

come on down and enjoy..... the temp is good year-round, part of the year it rains a lot.

Simply just my thoughts / opinions & they change with the times.

best of wishes.

@hanscombmeans thank you all for your gentle answers!! I love hearing other people experiences and advices.

I spent one year in mexico traveling everywhere and living with locals but i never felt at home in any place. After one year i could not stand garbage everywhere,rising of prices, violence and abuse on animals, loud music and noises everywhere also in the night. Is panama like this?

I also did not like this aspect of being called everywhere by everyone guera gringa (for me it is a sort of racism since we are all equal human beings)  and being scammed and trying to take advantage on prices of everything.

Another question... How are police and military in panama?in mexico are very corrupt and try to extort money in every chance they have.

Arriving at the end of may will we find rains?but is it possible to go around normally and to go snorkeling?or can i expect tornados etc?

Thank you

There is garbage here. They are working on it and making progress, but you'll still see garbage by the side of the road in some places.

Prices are rising everywhere. Violence is very rare if you don't associate with the wrong people.

Animals aren't always cared for as much as we would like, but this is also improving. People are learning to spay and neuter their pets to cut down on stray animals. My neighbors may not cuddle their pets but they definitely give them food, medical care, etc.

Loud music and noise depends on where you live but is generally only a problem on holidays and special occasions. You may hear barking dogs and crowing roosters though.

You will be called a gringa just as a description. I've heard people called negro, chino, and other names with no further meaning than the tall one, or the blond lady, or other descriptions.

It's human nature to take an opportunity to get extra money. When you learn what things are supposed to cost and you are able to communicate in Spanish (which also says you know your way around) it won't happen much, and you can put a stop to it when it does.

There is no military here, but there are police and security everywhere. It freaked me out a little at first until I realized that not much goes on because of this. I've found the police very polite, friendly, and helpful. I've heard stories of people paying traffic tickets in the street (bribe) instead of taking the ticket downtown to be paid properly. People complain a lot about corruption in government, officials giving lucrative jobs to their friends and family, but as an expat this shouldn't affect your daily life.

Rainy season is April - December and you can expect rain in the late afternoon on many days. Mornings are generally sunny and beautiful though. There are no tornadoes, hurricanes, or other weather related disasters that we are too familiar with in the USA (not sure about Mexico or Europe). The most that happens is a bad weather system passes by and gives us a good soaking, or there are occasional earthquakes that rarely do any damage. I've found this to be a chill and tranquil life here in Panama and people are super nice.

I'll get right to the point, I'd definitely recommend getting a lawyer for any immigration matters. I don't even think individuals are allowed to apply without an attorney here. Here's a topic from the law firm I used with regard to Panama visas for Italians. https://kraemerlaw.com/en/immigration/p … eaty-visa/

I'd suggest looking at the town of Volcán and the towns near it if you're looking to live in the mountains. It's quiet and far less expensive than Boquete. It's the area of the country where all non-tropical fruits and vegetables grow.

If you want a more tropical experience, I'd suggest the interior provinces of Herrera and Los Santos on the Azuero peninsula. It's a much slower pace of life than Panama City, but not too far from beaches and should be far, far less expensive than Panama City.

the only comment i want to make is that the city has some of the finest restaurants in the world .; i spent 3 years in medellin , love the city but you find a good one brag on it go back a week later a different chef and food not fit to eat ,, no comment on nationality , seems every one treated with respect . been living in panama for 21 years traffic and the heat the only negative things i can really say . is on the dollar one of the reason i retired and moved here when i was 55 went to 5 different middle and south american countries got tired of trying to figure  if i was paying 30 cents or 3 dollars for  a beer jajajajj