Debt collector messages & calls (scam / phishing?)

Has anyone here dealt with messages / calls from debt collectors?

Ever since I got my Hungarian Telekom phone number, I've been receiving random phone calls and messages.

Most messages / calls were obviously fishing or spam, so after some time I stopped answering (they were either silent or just went straight into a rant (in Hungarian) or hung up if I asked if they spoke English.)  My phone also blocked a lot of them.

Recently I received a new one from a debt collecting company (intrum), and also a call that i missed. I see now I received a couple over the years from the same company but with different phone numbers / ticket numbers.

A lot of messages online say its harrassment or fake, but it is stressing me out .

My situation

• Received a couple of text / sms over the years to contact the company (intrum) about a debt: each time a different ticket number, and no mention of my name, amount or whatfor. I received no follow up messages with the same ticket numbers.
  • Never received emails or post about debts

• Never received letters or emails ever about open bills / invoices etc. from companies
  • all (online) purchases are paid and accounted for, and the companies obviously have my phone & (email) address
  • i dont really have subscriptions or service costs; services and maintenance on homeowners name, pre-paid phone, healthcare via insurance clinics
  • I received one traffic fine via a car sharing service via email, which was paid on time (confirmed).

Although I'm pretty sure I have no real debts, im affraid that

• if i dont pursue it it will grow / continue (might be identity fraud etc)
  • if i do contact them they will just insist and up the pressure

That is strange.

I got a message on my e-mail a few weeks ago that said it was from the Mayar Post.

Had a pick up number for a package.

Thought it was spam but double checked by going into the post office.

They had no idea about it.

I just delete junk mail without usually opening it. Sorry I opened up that latest message but won't be fooled again.

They are suppose to contact you through the mail not just over the phone or with fake e-mails.

It was weird though, they had the Hungarian Post heading on top on the message.

Scammer aren't stupid, they are just evil and willing to put other out.

They seem to be one step ahead of the investigators and police.

As long as your bank account is safe and you know you don't owe anything, just don't asnwer the phone.

Perhaps there is a number to report the calls to?

Back in the 1950's my father wasn't exactly the "solid citizen" 1950's typical family man.

He got things on credit, we had a tv set before anyone else did, new furniture and he always drove a nice car.

He worked but just barely, just enough to get by on. Smart but lazy man.

Bill collectors used to call all the time and ask when they would be paid.

My father was a ,"wiseguy" in many ways, he told them that each month he would put all his bills in a hat and draw 3 or 4 out and pay them.

He said he figured that they were just not the ones getting pulled.

He said if they didn't stop calling him and bothering him next month he wouldn't even put their bill in his hat.

Perhaps if you contact Telekom, they can figure out if you were given a number that is on the scammers list. Might have to change your number.

Some of these emails have attachments that almost certainly infect your machine. Never open them. Or links that purport to lead to an official site. Again, don't click on them.

If I don't know the number, I don't answer. If its important they can leave a voicemail. I never open any attachments on my phone or computer unless I know the sender.

If I don't know the number, I don't answer. If its important they can leave a voicemail. I never open any attachments on my phone or computer unless I know the sender.
-@SimCityAT

Good advice.

If a creditor/collections calls asking for debt repayment and you don't recognize it, simply tell them:

To stop calling, they can contact you by post if needed.

That you want a full written verfication of the debt (Your name, the company claiming the debt, the amount and the dates and anything that shows you agreed to the debt) and,

Tell them to send the verification and any other correspondence by post to your address (they should have the address if its real also).

If they can't do that, they can take a hike.

@romaniac Many calls received in Hungary, very often by staff who only speak Hungarian, just ignoring is fine, if there is something serious they will contact you by regular mail or e-mail (I have google translate) and they have my full details.

I also get spam calls in Hungarian. I just block the numbers on my phone.  However, it's easy for them to fake Caller ID.

There's another scam using WhatsApp I have recently being receiving calls about.  I am only vaguely aware of what this one is about.   They send you a text message about something called OpenRent which apparently is a marketplace for property.  Then callers try and ask about a property you advertised or had an interest in.

The scam is to get deposits and rent off victims using faked WhatsApp numbers.  The callers are usually trying to find out details about you so they can use impersonation at banks and wotnot to get victims' money.   

Mrs F gets Hungarian spammers all the time and just disconnects them without any discussion.

I am lucky in Austria I rarely get any spam texts as my provider blocks them and puts them into a spam folder for me to review which I only just found out.

This is one that is going around as an example

c11418d1a45dc9b737fcb0d18151fa16?impolicy=wcms_crop_resize&cropH=303&cropW=454&xPos=0&yPos=0&width=862&height=575

I got one in very bad German.....

1) I am a man

2) I have no children

But some older folk will fall for it sadly.

@SimCityAT

I wonder what the hit rate is?

I've got 4 children: Rapunzel, Cinderella, Beauty and Gretel

@darrom

Answer probably very simple:

In the past years (8-10?) phone numbers are re-enlisted for new people.

So tghe very same phone number MAY belonged to someone who had debt, like 5 years ago, expired 3 years ago, re enlisted recently and the new person gets the messages.

Debt collectors are often inherit frozen debts, some are 30+ years old.

In the other hand any debt can be collected on any EU citizen regardless where was it made. Anno that was over 100 Euro - in that time that was the reason why the trafic controllers did 103 Euro fine bills in Austria - Wien. Debt collectors handle it no matter in which country.

I've heard there is no personal bankrupty in Europe?

In the US you can demand they do not contact you by phone, only by mail.

You will ruin your credit for none payment of debt for 7 years.

After that they start to offer credit cards again.

No wonder the US debt is so high.

I do not think it's fair or right for someone to inherit debt from a parent or spouce if that person was not on the contract.

Makes me think back on my deceased sisters ex.

One spoiled brat he was.

His parents were loaded but he was a Hippie and held odd ball jobs like managing rock bands in LA or talking his father into buy a $100,000 ( In the late 1960's) semi-truck to start his own trucking co.

Good ideas but he never followed through with them.

Just before my sister divorced him he bought himself a Harley ( yes another Harley story) She was working full time in an office and he was in one of his none working periods.

She was heald libal to make his bike payments or ruin her credit. She had just co-signed his loan but never had the bike.

Not right in my mind.

He lives in San Ramon now but also sometimes lives on his yacht.

Some people slide through life and dump everything on others.

His trucking experinece did come in handy for him in Hawaii. He had another yacht which he lived on in Honolulu. He also fianlly helped some of his children with life. He drove a big -rig in Hawaii whenever he needed extra money. Some sort of driver of toxic materials which pays more then normal cargo does.

I wonder if his boat is paid off or not, doesn't sound like him to pay anything off himself.

-@Marilyn Tassy

Personal debt is not why the US national debt is so high.  I would suggest you educate yourself on US government economics.  The previous administration expanded the national debt greatly with tax cuts, stimulus checks for COVID, and other policies. 

This is off-topic though, better to keep things on track for the OP.

-@Marilyn Tassy

UK has personal bankruptcy.  Hungary might have now but didn't when I first came.

I vaguely think some Asian countries like Japan and Korea do not have bankruptcy laws.

Middle Eastern countries like UAE are tough - no insolvency. If you cannot pay your debts, best to leave the country immediately before they notice and catch up with you.  Otherwise prison!

-@Marilyn Tassy

UK has personal bankruptcy. Hungary might have now but didn't when I first came.

I vaguely think some Asian countries like Japan and Korea do not have bankruptcy laws.

Middle Eastern countries like UAE are tough - no insolvency. If you cannot pay your debts, best to leave the country immediately before they notice and catch up with you. Otherwise prison!
-@fluffy2560

Germany is very lenient. They have a law regarding personal bankruptcy and the register is deleted after 7 (or so years). So people can start the same (over spending) again. Dubai (we lived there) is tough and I didn't mind, because I am old school and think that one should save and then buy.

-@Marilyn Tassy

UK has personal bankruptcy. Hungary might have now but didn't when I first came.

Middle Eastern countries like UAE are tough - no insolvency. If you cannot pay your debts, best to leave the country immediately before they notice and catch up with you. Otherwise prison!
-@fluffy2560
Germany is very lenient. They have a law regarding personal bankruptcy and the register is deleted after 7 (or so years). So people can start the same (over spending) again. Dubai (we lived there) is tough and I didn't mind, because I am old school and think that one should save and then buy.
-@nz7521137

I don't know, I have Emirati relatives and they say they struggle with housing, savings, working etc.   

It's very tough there unless you are the right type of Emirati, family or clan or connectivity.

No social services I have heard of.   Even education is not free (unless you want to be very Islamic).

@fluffy2560 I think that the Emiratis (with that nationality) are very well taken care of. The foreigners have to be very careful and leave if they cannot afford living in the UAE anymore. But, many like to live there. While I was there, I really liked it. For retirement I wouldn't recommend it unless one has lots of money and doesn't want green surroundings.

@fluffy2560 I think that the Emiratis (with that nationality) are very well taken care of. The foreigners have to be very careful and leave if they cannot afford living in the UAE anymore. But, many like to live there. While I was there, I really liked it. For retirement I wouldn't recommend it unless one has lots of money and doesn't want green surroundings.
-@nz7521137

No, they aren't that well taken care of. 

My niece is married to an Emirati guy and their children are at least dual UAE/UK citizens.   I say at least because they may be Australians as well. It's a bit unclear on the Australian bit due to Australian law.  But they are definitely UAE and UK. 

But anyway, what I hear from them, it's not so easy for Emirati people to own property, borrow money and so on unless you have the right connections and a wide family.   There is a kind of class there of long term immigrants (like 100 years ago) that have UAE citizenship but are distinguishable as a group - they speak Arabic with an accent (don't know what it sounds like).  It seems they don't get the same breaks as those connected with the right sheikhs/family/royalty.    They do get some advantages with early retirement (like in their 40s for little input into civil service) but it's hardly  a gravy train of pensions etc.

@fluffy2560 Everyday a chance to learn something new.1f600.svg

-@Marilyn Tassy

Personal debt is not why the US national debt is so high. I would suggest you educate yourself on US government economics. The previous administration expanded the national debt greatly with tax cuts, stimulus checks for COVID, and other policies.

This is off-topic though, better to keep things on track for the OP.
-@romaniac

Of course the entire US debt is not caused by personal debt.

Just a drop in the bucket overall.

@fluffy2560 Everyday a chance to learn something new.1f600.svg
-@nz7521137

Indeed.

One thing which is relatively new is that dual nationality with UAE is now allowed (since 2021).

So my niece's kids can leave UAE on their UAE passports and arrive in the UK on their British ones.   They still need to apply for visas just to get on the plane, but don't need to use them to enter the UK.  And they use their UAE passports to leave the UK.   I should point out UK doesn't check passports when leaving the country.

I think the group I mentioned are UAE citizens of Iranian origin. 

-@Marilyn Tassy

Oh, there is personal bankruptcy in Europe. COVID and the Cost of living crisis has caused so many issues. Independent firms with their owners pumping in all that they had to keep the business afloat and all they could do is shut shop and declare bankruptcy.

I've seen it happen in the UK and Austria especially in the hospitality industry.