Big increase in airport parking fee as from 1 June 2023

Hi all,

For those who don't know, the parking fee at SSR airport has increased considerably as from 1 June 2023 - see here  https://mauritius-airport.atol.aero/pas … rt/parking

I just came back from a 4-day (5 night) overseas trip and got a huge surprise - Rs 1,900 for the privilege to park at the airport [calculated as Rs 300 for the first 24H and then Rs 400 for every additional day]

Up until 31 May 2023, this would have cost Rs 540 [Rs 180 for the first 24H and then Rs 90 for every additional day]

You've been warned 1f600.svg

@vrtlmadness it is still worth it to park for a short stay.

We live in Flic en Flack and to get a Taxi from the airport costs RS 2200 to Rs 2500.

The other option is to hire a car for a day and drive home, which of course would mean you have to get the car back to the airport but cheaper than parking or Taxi

@Katrienlombard I don't think it's worth it (anymore). We need alternative options e.g. parking garage(s) close to the airport with shuttle buses to/from the airport running every 1-2 hours; shuttle express bus services (these will be your normal size buses) to/from the airport stopping at designated pick-up points along the way; train line to the airport (I know, wishful thinking)

@vrtlmadness we are all hoping for the train. Unfortunately Uber tried but was not allowed. Wait and see ..

Your suggestions re the shuttle is prima but I think there is less hope for that than for the train.

In the meantime we will just soldier on