30 day rules tourist visa

Always going to the Phillippines i had the plan to go back home, i had to work of course, but if i went i always stayed up to 3 months, every month extending my tourist visa. This time around i am retired and will stay like hopefully in forever. During those times that i came my tickets were for 3 months. And noboddy ever said at the airport that technicialy you can only have a roundtrip ticket of one month. Now i heard and was reading lately that they got more strict in that, and that you absolutly need a go foreward ticket must have after the first 30 days wenn your tourist visa on arrival expires. Has someboddy experienced that? That it is more strict? To be on the safe side next to the roundtripticket i already bought (a one way ticket was as expensive as a roundtrip ticket) i bought a foreward ticket to bali for 90 bucks to be safe and to be sure that i will enter the country. I got a little confused and scared over all the stories i heard so i thought lets do things safe and make sure all lose ends are covered. Ok i spendet hundred extra for a ticket i will never use, but the risk of being refused to enter seemed to big to me. Are all these stories true that i hear that it more strict after corona? or am i getting chicken on my old age.

Ivo, I think they did get stricter, so it's good that you got the onward ticket.. Not like the old days, and much of it falls upon the airline to check. Once in country there was no problem with normal extensions, although I understand that may be changing. There is another thread on that.

I've gone over twice since the pandemic ended. Both times I purchased a "flexible" round trip ticket on PAL for 30 days, in order to meet the requirement, then extended it once I was in country for another 2 months. So each trip was around 90 days, and BI didn't care - they just extended my visa every 30 days and issued me an ACR card.

@pnwcyclist Ah ok thats also a way to do it. Yes i am happy with the foreward ticket. My plan is to stay forever. I will aply at one point for an srrv option, but i have not all together yet. Will take me living there a year getting that far. Its a kind of scary step cause i canceled my house ive rented here. In principle i am homeless once i fly to the Pghilippines in order to find me a suitable appartment. With 63 years old quiet a move. But i have a good solid income, that should pull me true. I dont have to live like a beggar. Own as little as i can thats the plan keeping flexible if i want to live somewere else. Or life is an adventure, or it is a dull nothing at all. I think the extensions will just go on, there is nothing in the new immigration bill stating that they will stop. It would mean an exodus of foreigners and their monney. That would be unwise for the philippines, you cannot and promote tourisme and at the same moment throwing all out. I think they are smarter as that.

I agree brother. Life is short - make it an adventure!

Sounds like you have a solid plan.

Well soild i dont know, i feel a bit shaky about it, but i have a plan, a verry simple plan. Get happy and live somewere were they dont know winters. And do some good for the people around me, not only living for myself. i am not going for the woman anymore, i did that in the past and had plenty, not one good one however. And you are right! I have maybe 20 years left, i want to make the most of them. Undo i have a few preconditions, i am in an overal reasonable healthy condition. if i dont take that jump now, i will miss that window and the change might never come back. So for better or worse, i throw the dice and flip the coin, come what may, i am on my way.

Hi, the airline which gives you a boarding card to the Philippines has to check for your return flight within 30 days. If they fail to do so and the immigration checks that at your arrival, you have 10 minutes to buy a flight out of the Philippines. If you are unable to do so, the airline has to take you back at their expense.

My friend at the BI told me that the current tourist visa extensions for up to 3 years will come to an end. It might be 90 days in a one year period. So for long term stays you might need a retirement visa or a quota visa or a marriage visa. If you find an employer a work visa will also do.

Ivo sonnenberg said . . .

i have a few preconditions, i am in an overal reasonable healthy condition. if i dont take that jump now, i will miss that window and the change might never come back. So for better or worse, i throw the dice and flip the coin, come what may, i am on my way.

Exactly Ivo,

Follow your dreams

I did that when I received my first SS check at 62 I quit my job, gave away or threw away almost everything, jumped in my car and drove to Las Vegas. Las Vegas certainly was better than dreary Pittsburgh, PA.

I was not looking for a wife or mate, I being happy and single for 23 years.

Guess what?

At age 65 I married again and found myself Jet Skiing on the Colorado River. My bride said what happens if we fall off, I smiled and told her we will drown.

Follow your dreams while you are healthy and able to do it.

@Andy_1963 Thats the fear most people have that the long term visa extensions come to an end, but it not mentioned in the new immigration bill. Only that the visa on arrival will go from 30 days to 59 days. I am however gonna apply for a srrv program so maybe hopefully i am not bothered by it. Your friend at the BI say it comes to an end, but it is nowere announced. You would think that announcement would be cemented in the new immigration law, but its  not standing in there. Personaly i have a hard time believing it comes to an end, many foreigners live in the Philippines they are good for quiet spending some monney and contribute to the economy, why kill the goose laying golden eggs? It would mean a big exodus not only of foreigners but their money with them. From an economical point of view its not a smart thing to do. What you described about  that if immigration checks about your return within 30 days, in all the cases i was there they never did that, but after corona i heard they are more strict so just in case i bought an extra ticket to leave after 30 days. You never know. We will see what the futere brings. For the state of the union in july probably Marcos will sign the bill into law, its on his desk now. Philippines is a poor country hard to believe they would do things to get even poorer willingly. But nevertheless your friend can be right. Everthing is possible.

@Enzyte Bob I higly appreciate your text. Happy to know there are more men like me that strenghtens me. I hope that i wont regret it and find happiness like you did. I was married twice and divorced but without having to pay my ex wifes, they had more money as i had 1f600.svg. I am not going for the woman either, if i stumble over one, that could be an other story. But its not my objective, i am doing great without. I am bussy clearing out my appartment, i made sure to have no guilts anywere i have some savings and a good income. I train a few days in the week to keep fit and its now or never. And if it fails, i have two european passports and countries to go back to, but i am getting more confident each day i can pull it of. Specialy if i hear stories like yours. I take my hat you pulled it of.

Hi, the airline which gives you a boarding card to the Philippines has to check for your return flight within 30 days. If they fail to do so and the immigration checks that at your arrival, you have 10 minutes to buy a flight out of the Philippines. If you are unable to do so, the airline has to take you back at their expense.
My friend at the BI told me that the current tourist visa extensions for up to 3 years will come to an end. It might be 90 days in a one year period. So for long term stays you might need a retirement visa or a quota visa or a marriage visa. If you find an employer a work visa will also do.
-@Andy_1963

I would disagree, sure I have purchased many return flights 30 days or less but I have purchased many flights to PH 2 to 6 months out. when Covid hit I landed back the day before the lock down in Manila and we fled back to La Union before they closed the freeway. My return booked ticket was 5 months away, notified by the company a month before my flight was cancelled and 3 months later got my money back.

February we flew to Singapore for a week, 36 month visa run and I purchased a throw away ticket 2 month out. As long as you have an exit ticket no matter the duration of your stay they don't care and immi never ask me for my exit ticket, simply extend.

I chatted to the lovely lady in immi 2 weeks ago while extending my visa about the proposed changes to the 36 month rule, she smiled and said nothing will change sir,,,,, posted that info in another thread.

Andy 1963: If you don't have an exit ticket from the Philippines they won't let you on the plane from your departing country.

Can you imagine the visitors from other countries that spend plenty of cash here suddenly imposed with a visa change to 90 days per 12 month period? Mass exodus.

For me I very much doubt that will ever happen, too many expats live here on the existing immi system.

Cheers, Steve.

I traveled to the Phills this past winter, the first time I did so without a return ticket.  (I did have a ticket out but it was also a one way, long story I won't bother you with.)  Even though both one way tickets were with the same airline "Cebu Pacific", they asked to see my ticket out of the country and specifically told me it had to be within 30 days.  This was the airline making the demand, no official in immigration asked to see it.

I hear both stories so I think it is safe to say have a throw away ticket.... or you can get a Cebu Pacific ticket out of the country within the 30 days and for an additional  about $20 you get a flex ticket... once you are in the country you cancel the ticket and the credit your account.  Yes they have your money but you can use it to fly in the country or to leave when you book an exit trip on this airline.

Don

As said Don I see a lot of airline check ins need to brush up on the laws, their 30 day ruling is a lack of education with regards to Philippines immigration requirements. They take the 30 day visa free period literally and the punter has to leave within that period, that's rubbish.

I checked my records for long term exit tickets, 2 to 6 months. Quantas, Jetstar, Singapore Airlines, PAL for the last 13 years and never a problem or questioned by check in nor immigration until our recent trip to Malaysia as stated in an earlier contribution and not a problem except 10 or 15 minutes having my exit ticket 2 months out checked, thank you sir and a stamp on my boarding pass.

As others say and I agree if you intend to be here for a long time buy a throw away ticket, throw it away as immi don't ask and I was here for 3 years flew out, flew back and start the ball rolling again, honestly? I think immi like collecting the pesos from punters like me.

I'm here on a visitor visa without an exit ticket now (it expired) I have bank accounts, Philhealth, my name on municipal and Barangay rates, no drivers license yet as I've not bothered until just before my Aussie one expires, Netflix, internet, phones, Cignal tv etc.

The 30 day return ticket has never been an issue for me.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

My understanding, again, is that this changed during the pandemic, when lots of rules changed. That is when the requirement was put in place to have either a return flight or onward ticket showing departure within 30 days. Never had to be within 30 days prior to the pandemic, and I don't believe this is just a matter of airline interpretation. Someone somewhere told them to check for this.

I agree with Don, though - best to have that proof of an onward or return flight out before 30 days. Don't have to use it once in country, just extend as normal.

@pnw

I wasn't aware nor ever heard of the "depart within 30 day rule", For a long time only a very limited number of lucky people could even enter the Philippines. Not even SRRV holders.

My point is that a 30 day exit ticket means nothing as immi will let you legally stay for 3 years, That rule may have disappeared now as I said we flew back from Singapore with PAL last February/March and my exit ticket was 65 days out to Hong Kong, was verified by PAL. It was a throw away ticket with a different carrier, they stamped my boarding pass for immi and no problems.

It appears that the airlines have been advised to go back to the old exit ticket system as I never had a problem. I mentioned before in another thread that flyers should check with their carrier their rules on check in.

Cheers, Steve.

My understanding, again, is that this changed during the pandemic, when lots of rules changed. That is when the requirement was put in place to have either a return flight or onward ticket showing departure within 30 days. Never had to be within 30 days prior to the pandemic, and I don't believe this is just a matter of airline interpretation. Someone somewhere told them to check for this.
I agree with Don, though - best to have that proof of an onward or return flight out before 30 days. Don't have to use it once in country, just extend as normal.
-@pnwcyclist

The airline clearly checked me for an exit ticket within 30 days (December 2022 entry) I would not get a boarding pass without that.  That being said, I understand lots of rules seem to flex from day to day and person to person in the phills... keeps it exciting.  For critical things like getting on your flight, i follow the rules to the letter to make sure there are no issues.

@pnw
I wasn't aware nor ever heard of the "depart within 30 day rule", For a long time only a very limited number of lucky people could even enter the Philippines. Not even SRRV holders.
My point is that a 30 day exit ticket means nothing as immi will let you legally stay for 3 years, That rule may have disappeared now as I said we flew back from Singapore with PAL last February/March and my exit ticket was 65 days out to Hong Kong, was verified by PAL. It was a throw away ticket with a different carrier, they stamped my boarding pass for immi and no problems.

It appears that the airlines have been advised to go back to the old exit ticket system as I never had a problem. I mentioned before in another thread that flyers should check with their carrier their rules on check in.

Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

I for one would not wish to leave it to check the rules on check- in. There are effectively two gate keepers when travelling by air:The check-in clerk at the airline counter of origin and the immigration officer in the Philippines. If one of those two lights turns red you are up the creek without a paddle and it could prove expensive.

This whole area is very opaque but what is clear from members comments is that the implementation of the rules from origin to arrival are inconsistent.

For the record I have never been in the Philippines longer than 30 days (I am usually on business in Asia for a month including vacation). On check in at Terminal 4 London Heathrow I am always asked to confirm an exit ticket from the country of arrival even though they have it on the goddamned CRS (computer reservation system). Now what I cannot state is if my departure from the country of arrival, in this case the Philippines, was more than 30 days out would that be an issue? I recently changed my old passport for the new (Brexit :) )passport and there were so many Philippine visa stamps in the old one that you could not see the 'wood for the trees' Suffice to say that on arrival at Ninoy Aquino I am always asked how long I intend to stay but only once have I been asked for proof of departure date. If it was after 30 days would that be an issue? Judging from the comments here no.

In the future I will be spending more time in the country so this aspect is germane.

As PNW says better to have that cheap throwaway ticket as insurance and piece of mind and his excellent advice on having a flexible return ticket which you can change if need be. As I recall these cheap throwaway tickets (the ones that Cherryanne alluded to in an earlier post) need to be purchased within 48 hours of departure as per one of Paul (Old Dog New Tricks) vlog from a while back when he was leaving Vietnam (may have been another country in Asia). His one had expired on check-in :(

Only relating my experiences before and after the lock downs, seemed same same to me no matter the exit ticket date. Perhaps the 30 day rule was implemented through the Covid period but one would wonder why and the bureaucrats that pushed that on the airlines for what purpose? Once you are in country you can cancel/throw away your exit ticket and stay for up to 36 months no questions asked.

Only thing I noticed was immi shut down for 4 or 5 months back in 2020.

Cheers, Steve.

. As I recall these cheap throwaway tickets (the ones that Cherryanne alluded to in an earlier post) need to be purchased within 48 hours of departure as per one of Paul (Old Dog New Tricks) vlog from a while back when he was leaving Vietnam (may have been another country in Asia). His one had expired on check-in sad.png
-@Lotus Eater

I think there has been a little confusion between the 2 types of tickets here. Big Pearl said he purchased a legit ticket with the airline showing departure from the Philippines. He just did not use it and there was never any comeback. He could have boarded the flight with that ticket if he wanted.

The other ticket is not really a ticket, more of what I would call a vanishing ticket. Simply use the website I mentioned in another post, spend $14 and you get an email confirmation and an attachment which can be printed showing you are booked on your selected flight with the airline. Your name appears on the airlines manifest but only for 48 hours, then it simply disappears so you are actually just purchasing the paperwork to show immigration. If you print this off and show immigration then you do not have to do it within 48 hours of departure and the only way they can prove you are not booked on the outward flight would be for them to take the time to check the airlines manifest. Of course if you do it within 48 hours of your arrival in the Philippines, your name would be on the airlines manifest still.

@Cherryann01

Understood. So the ‘ vanishing' tickets as you refer to them Cherryanne should be a cheaper option for Steve and anyone else that needs proof of onward destination in the future .

And if I did use that ticket Cherryann I would need to purchase 2 more tickets and the process is the same, a 50 buck legit ticket gives me another 3 years here, 14 bucks or 50 bucks matters little in the scheme of things.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

@Cherryann01
Understood. So the ‘ vanishing' tickets as you refer to them Cherryanne should be a cheaper option for Steve and anyone else that needs proof of onward destination in the future .
-@Lotus Eater

50 bucks over 3 years? Equals less than half a cent per day while having the security of a legitimate ticket. Not questionable.

Trying to save 30 or 40 bucks? Do it properly.

Cheers, Steve.

@Cherryann01
-@Lotus Eater

50 bucks over 3 years? Equals less than half a cent per day while having the security of a legitimate ticket. Not questionable.
Trying to save 30 or 40 bucks? Do it properly.

Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

I agree with you, why quibble about such a small amount, But I guess for people who only wish to say in the Philippines a couple of months, it maybe an option.

To be honest with you, I think the company selling these vanishing tickets was set up with this very purpose in mind, to get around immigration rules.

I think that if I was over there for a couple of months to check out different locations with a view of finding a place to move there on a permanent basis (No woman involved), I might even consider booking a return ticket from the UK to Philippines and then booking a return ticket to actually leave for 3 or 4 days to KL for example (within the 30 days), Get a cheap no frills ticket, carry on luggage only and then live like Jack Reacher for the few days in KL, purchasing cheap T Shirts to dispose of rather than washing and keeping. That way I could keep the weight down in my carry on bag. Leave the rest of my stuff in the Air B & B or whatever in the Philippines until I return. Then move on to another location.

@Cherryann01

Ok I have just got off the phone to my preferred airline to Asia, Etihad Airways, for which I have a frequent flyer programme. Spoke to a charming French lady who (after checking with a colleague) confirms that British passport holders departing from the UK can stay in the Philippines on a return ticket valid for up to 90 days from the date of entry. After 90 days therefore a 'throwaway ticket' will be necessary.

However I would encourage other nationality members on this Forum to check with their chosen airline just to be sure.

"Get a cheap no frills ticket, carry on luggage only and then live like Jack Reacher for the few days in KL, purchasing cheap T Shirts to dispose of rather than washing and keeping. " Couple of points here cherryann. If you look like Jack Reacher you will probably need to take a carton full of industrial strength viagra to handle all the adoring women. Passengers travelling with Japan Airlines (JAL) will be able to skip checking in a suitcase and borrow outfits based on size, season and colour under the new Any Wear, Anywhere (remember the Martini commercial) scheme, which began on 5 July and will continue for at least the next 13 months. This will also save on laundry. Whether their t-shirts would fit the butch JR is a matter of debate. :)

@Cherryann01
Ok I have just got off the phone to my preferred airline to Asia, Etihad Airways, for which I have a frequent flyer programme. Spoke to a charming French lady who (after checking with a colleague) confirms that British passport holders departing from the UK can stay in the Philippines on a return ticket valid for up to 90 days from the date of entry. After 90 days therefore a 'throwaway ticket' will be necessary.
However I would encourage other nationality members on this Forum to check with their chosen airline just to be sure.

"Get a cheap no frills ticket, carry on luggage only and then live like Jack Reacher for the few days in KL, purchasing cheap T Shirts to dispose of rather than washing and keeping. " Couple of points here cherryann. If you look like Jack Reacher you will probably need to take a carton full of industrial strength viagra to handle all the adoring women. Passengers travelling with Japan Airlines (JAL) will be able to skip checking in a suitcase and borrow outfits based on size, season and colour under the new Any Wear, Anywhere (remember the Martini commercial) scheme, which began on 5 July and will continue for at least the next 13 months. This will also save on laundry. Whether their t-shirts would fit the butch JR is a matter of debate. smile.png
-@Lotus Eater

Very interesting but I wonder what other airlines would say regarding the return tickets.

I would rather be Jack Reacher needing a carton full of industrial strength viagra than Frank Cannon needing a box of industrial strength deodorant.1f603.svg

Jack Reacher don't need no viagra.

Cheeryann01.

I mentioned this in a previous post here, check with your airline their boarding requirements, simple as Lotus Eater just stated.

Cheers, Steve.

Cheeryann01.
I mentioned this in a previous post here, check with your airline their boarding requirements, simple as Lotus Eater just stated.

Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

I will be doing that in future if the need arises although I find it hard to believe that Lotus Eater could depart from the UK to the Philippines on a Etihad Airlines flight, I could depart the UK using a different airline and he could be allowed to board his flight while I may be denied boarding because I do not have an exit ticket within 30 days.

Seems to me that either The Philippines Immigration Bureau needs to inform all the airlines of the entry requirements or the airlines need to interpret the rules better so everything is uniform whichever airline one uses. Surely the airlines have the information.

What happens when this new bill regarding entry regulations and visas gets signed off in the Philippines. Will the airlines be told of the changes or will they be expected to source and interpret the information for themselves?

A couple folks posted on other site that if a person has a valid ACR card from Philippines,  mine valid till May 15th,a person not need the 30 day return ticket, has anyone heard of thid

I have a valid acr tourist card as well and i dont have a return ticket… the acr is valid till Dec 2024 :)

A couple folks posted on other site that if a person has a valid ACR card from Philippines,  mine valid till May 15th,a person not need the 30 day return ticket, has anyone heard of thid

-@Scenicviewwi

Look at your card. Now think about it. What does one have to do with the other? Does your card say TOURIST on it?

I will tell you, you may get to the airport. But you may not get on the plane.

Why are people so cheap? Just get a $15 throwaway or a $75 out of country ticket! Boggles me how much people want to fight something so simple. Had a friend do the same thing recently. He was going to come over from Thailand for 60 days.  I told him to get a $15 throwaway on the way to the airport. "too much hassle" . Booked his ticket for 29 day return.

I am looking to apply for srrv visa

i am coming over to ph middle of this year to live will i need any other documents and will i need to renew at any time as it sounds so confuzing over there in future

I am looking to apply for srrv visa
i am coming over to ph middle of this year to live will i need any other documents and will i need to renew at any time as it sounds so confuzing over there in future

-@renegadesric529

Research and more research is part of life with anything new, Scour the PRA website, read plenty of submissions in expat sites, locate one of the marketeers and communicate for reassurance and dotting the I's.

Remember also you will need a 2 month visitor visa to process this application as they take your passport and you can't leave the country, only internal travel.

Only a suggestion why not hang around on a visitor visa for up to 3 years before you commit?

Cheers, Steve.

@bigpearl

can you travel in and out on that visa

@bigpearl
can you travel in and out on that visa

-@renegadesric529

Perhaps be a little clearer, As I said when applying for an SRRV with the PRA you will lose your passport for at least 6 to 8 weeks, That is why the PRA won't process your application unless a full 60 day visisor visa, Yes while they hold your passport you cn't leave the country.

Once the SRRV has been granted you can come and go as you please no different to a visitor visa.

As said, read and read well the different visa options for the Philippines.

Cheers, Steve.

@bigpearl

thanks pal will do that

Fyi... The return ticket is EXTREMELY SIMPLE...  I've done this a few times now... and has NEVER been questioned.

1) Go to the Priceline app while waiting in line at customs, or do it before boarding to manila/cebu from wherever you are... either way.

2) book a 1 way ticket to wherever you want... doesn't matter because you get a 24 hour free cancelation (and immediate refund)

3) screen shot your new flight (confirmation)

4) cancel your flight, and get your refund... I have done it both before and after customs... but usually I will keep the confirmed flight until after customs...

So easy... You dudes need to relax... Cheers 🍻

Fyi... The return ticket is EXTREMELY SIMPLE...  I've done this a few times now... and has NEVER been questioned.
1) Go to the Priceline app while waiting in line at customs, or do it before boarding to manila/cebu from wherever you are... either way.

2) book a 1 way ticket to wherever you want... doesn't matter because you get a 24 hour free cancelation (and immediate refund)

3) screen shot your new flight (confirmation)

4) cancel your flight, and get your refund... I have done it both before and after customs... but usually I will keep the confirmed flight until after customs...

So easy... You dudes need to relax... Cheers 🍻

-@Wellsfry

The other option is a cebu pacific flight and pay extra for flex.  Once you land in the phills  cancel the flight.  You dont get a refund but you get a credit to your acoint and if you are in the phills, for sure you will be flying aroind at some poont.... works beautifully.

Yoi will be denied access to get on the flight coming to the phills if you dont have a flight oit if the cointry, throw away or something.... it is airlines maki g sure they dont have to pay for your exit flight if you are denied accees.

Donald

On my recent flight from the US in early Dec, I had a throwaway ticket, but for the first time in 3 years PAL didn't check for onward travel within 30 days, despite my roundtrip ticket being for 90 days. Might have been a fluke, but she only seemed concerned that the e-travel was completed.

Just a data point,  don't think I would risk not having something, probably use Wellsfry's approach next time.

@pnwcyclist

I agree, not worth the risk.  My last two trips they checked for onward within 30 days before providing boarding pass.

When i have return ticket and less than 30 days, they never ask of anything.

Donald.

While I never travelled through Covid from arrival March 2020 to February 2023 I did the same as normal and booked my exit ticket over 2 months out,, prior 9 years could have been 6 months out.

Agree pnw that on check in back from Singapore PAL to Manila they never asked for an exit ticket but immi did and I had a throw away ticket 9 weeks out and had to go to another window to be checked and my boarding pass stamped as clear to get through immi. only 10 minutes but they were crossing their t's,,,,, as for the 30 day rule? Perhaps at the tail end of covid but for me, never had any problems as long as I had an exit flight that most times ends up in the bin.

As we know the Philippines can be crazy and then some.

Cheers, Steve.