Connecting with English speakers in Tier 3 cities

I will be moving to Xinyang in August '23 to fulfill a job contract. It is a 3rd tier city which means fewer English speakers among locals everywhere in the city.

So wondering what do expats living in 3rd tier cities do to connect with other expats and not feel isolated?

Also, anyone in this forum lives there to provide city specific information?

thanks

See if there is a hostel where foreigners hang out. Also, try universities where foreigners study or teach. If there is a med school, you may find students learning to be doctors who are from Nigeria, Camaroon, Pakistan, India, and many other countries. They are really nice people.

@kenoskovsky Hi. I was in Xinyang in 2009. It's quite a nice city actually. Not at all too quiet in the central mall, and there are beautiful shops and eating places in its large mall. I think you will be fine there and you will find Xinyang to be a lovely city. Also check out Zhangzhou and Kaifeng in this beautiful province. The province is, however, quite fudal, so adhere to the laws and the rules, culture and customs of this province overall and you will be fine here. I did a cycle bike ride around the rural area, outside Xinyang City in 2009, with my then Chinese girlfriend and it is indeed a beautiful and peaceful place to stay in China.

@David Harrison9

i used to go to a cafe/bar/Starbucks, etc with an “ENGLISH CORNER , COME JOIN US! “ plastic sign that I had placed on the table, visible to everyone.  Through this simple method, I ended up meeting many native English speakers but even better, I met many Chinese who were English speakers but had no one to chat with. Many people were curious and asked about lessons. meeting again in a cafe/bar, etc. I welcomed everyone with open arms and most people appreciated the laid back attitude allowing everyone to enjoy some time together to speak English in a relaxed atmosphere.

Give it a try!

@Jupiter

Why go to china to look for foreigners?

hmmmmm