Making a living in Chile

Hello. I am considering a move to Chile.
From what I can tell, you can live pretty well on $1,500 US.

My question is, how hard is it to earn that amount?

I would be teaching English, but am capable of other things. I can proofread, write, weld, sell real estate among other things.

I am also learning Spanish and Flash/Actionscript programming.

All comments are welcomed.

Thanks

Hi TheHighwayMan and welcome to Expat.com!

Maybe that posting an advert in Chile classifieds > jobs section will help you!

But anyway, I hope that other members will advise you soon.

All the best,
Harmonie.:)

I will probably do that as the time nears. When I worked in Thailand, I made just enough to live on, but no extra. Privates were hard to come by.  So, I was wandering if I would face the same situation in Chile.

Where do you wnat to work in chile? or live? also it depend of the place where you live...
marcela.

I love the countryside, but I always choose the big city. So, I want to go to Santiago. 

According to my research making enough money to live on plus a little can be done there.

I have realistic goals. You can make more money in other places, but quality of life is not all about money.

Hi

My husband and I are also considering relocating to Chile - Viña Del Mar and were wondering how much we should be making in order to break even (living comfortably). What I understand from your post is that around $2,000 a month would be sufficient to maintain a good standard of living. Am i right?

Cheers

I like Viña del mar! us2000 is pretty good...but I insist that depend of the life you like. for me would be great! lol
Good luck!

Do you a computer programmer? there are a lot of jobs for programmers and if you speak english it's quite good.
I think 1500 Dolars it's ok, its medium salary in Chile you can live ok. For rent an apartment its between 250 and 350 euros if  you want live alone, if you want live with other person will be half price. For eat between 100 and 150 dolars i think.

I think 2,000 is plenty for one person unless you just have to party every other night.

I have a background in computers, but I am learning Flash AS3 at the moment. I hope use that as a way to make money in addition to teaching.

1.500 is ok for one person..
well...I hope you have good luck..and let us know when you arrive in this country!
bye bye!

Thank you so much! This really helps :)

From what I've heard, it may be hard to make $1500 just as an English teacher for one of the larger institutes unless you also have some private students.  I think $1500 is a reasonable budget for one person to live frugally in Chile; if you're going out a lot or live in an expensive apartment it might be a bit of a stretch. 

If you budget $700/month to cover rent, heat, water, gas, internet and apartment fees you should be fine (unless you live somewhere more deluxe.)  Meals, entertainment, shopping all are expensive, but if you cook at home a lot and don't go out you should be able to get by on $1500/month.

I agree Jen it might be hard to make us1500 as an english teacher. I`m a teacher.  Unless you also have private lessons or another bussines. and 1500 is pretty good if you don`t have a very luxury life, just a nice, happy and simple life. :)
Good luck in chile.
Marcela.

are you moving to concepcion, chile?

[Moderated: No free ad]

Hi,
I am planning my second trip to Chile soon. Besides I found it very 'western' after the first few hours there, and pleasant place to be. I found the prices simmilar to living in Houston, or most big cities in the USA. Living in Silicon Valley area, the prices were just a little cheaper than here, not much. Was on the phone with a former West Point officer who has a substantial business in Chile, he said 'most' things are similar in price to the USA, some things like fresh fish and some cleaning services were cheaper. Said the Gov't demands expats make a minimum of 1,000 per month, but could hardly live on that.

Of course location is like everywhere as to price of property, rents, like that.

Met Floridians touring there, they prefer Costa Rica area, weather is humid. Chile is like California, and Oregon in the southern areas.

Better country and much safer than the declining USA.

CL_Coastal