Building a house near Avellanas

Hi All,  my name is Jeff.  I recently bought a lot near Avellanas and have a five year plan to build a house.  Looking for architect/builder recos!

Hello Jeff and welcome on board !

Please note that I have created a new thread from your post on the Costa Rica forum so that members can share some referrals with you.

In the meantime, feel free to have a look at the professionals registered in the Construction and renovation in Costa Rica section of the Business Directory.

All the best

Bhavna

Thank you!

@El jefee How is the building project going so far?

It's not yet!  I'm meeting with a builders in November.    Again I have a 5 year plan.  (Built by year 5) 

This builder is highly recommended and agreed to plan out the building process with me. 

Ill keep this thread posted with updates as it progresses

Jeff

Hey Jeff, I lived in Heredia for >10 years (in the US now).  I know a couple that work as architects during the day and run a pizza place at night - but it's the most amazing pizza!  I've been all over the world and this pizza is some of the best I've had.  They're getting the contract for my retirement home one day for sure :)  I figure if they put that much love into their pizza, they are probably thoughtful architects, as well.  If you PM me, I can connect you to them. 

Hola, when you start construction on your house you need to be there, and go by once a day if not more. People talk nice,but this place is full of theives,and liars. One of the drawbacks of living here. I would suggest building a nice high wall around your lot before hand or your expensive materials will be stolen at night. Also constuction workers pilfer lots of material,and keep an eye on your constructor, go over every invoice,or go to the hardware store personally and buy it yourself. Just sayin,pura vida😎

Hi all,

thanks for the advice.    I had a couple meetings with Diego from Arkamos architects.  He was great to talk to about what to expect from the build process.   Going to interview a fee more architects.

as for being on site.. i have a friend that lives next store who will be watching construction/security.  My other neighbor is an expat who wilk be there in dry season who can keep an eye out.  I plan on being there  periodically.   Not ideal, but between the three of us..hoping for the best..

again 4.5 years out now soo things can change..

The advice to be on-site very frequently, if not daily, is excellent. Not only will you help to prevent "loss", but in any construction jobs there are opportunities to both avoid mistakes in planning and to seize on good ideas that you hadn't anticipated during the planning process.

We lived next door while our house was being built and checked progress daily. One morning, we woke up to find that the workers had blocked up the only access to the master bathroom! A quick consult with the on-site forman and that was taken care of. In another instance, the "cubby" for the refrigerator was way too shallow which meant that it would have stuck out over a foot into the passage to the kitchen.

The lesson: Be there or be disappointed.

Hey Jeff,

Stumbled upon tgis old post. curious to hear how your 5yr plan is working or has worked out for you. I am actively working with a realtor to find a good lot, and so curious how a build will then play out. would appreciate anything advice from your experience.

Thank you.

lisa