Expat Tax Regime

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone has insight on the expat tax regime. How does one's employer go about applying for it? I never knew such a thing existed until hearing from another ex-pat recently, and the 3 month window to apply had already passes. I'm trying to get a sense if the 3 month window is a hard and fast rule, or something that can be massaged due to circumstances.I am also renewing my contract in Dec, so perhaps this provides a 'new window' but it isn't entirely clear from the wording I've found online.

Thank you!

Now new rules you need to make 75k+ in order to be qualified , something like this ...

@ievgenfeldmann 75k only salary or is it included other benefits such as car company, insurances etc?

@syieda I will find file from  my Hr will send you

The 75k salary requirement does not include other benefits like car. There are lower limits for people in R&D. The three month period to request it is firm. Also, your company has to be willing to request this for you. Not all do because it provides significant benefits to those that get it vs their local colleagues

@Zaza00

Hello

could you please elaborate on the Exapt Tax Regime? Any link or video?

Hi,

The new expat tax rehime started back in Jan 2022. It is supposed to be easier to administrate than tje previous one (dating back from 1983) which was reqlly hectic.

So in short:

1. The application needs to be done 3 months of beiing employed at the latest. No exceptions now (1 semester 2022 there were some extensions due to lack of readiness). So if the 3 months have lapsed, sorry mate, you missed your chance

2. The beneficiary must have lived at least 150km away from the belgian border, and have been recruited directly from abroad

3. The employer NEEDS to make the application, as this requires different documents to be submitted, and special payroll treatment

For a fact, 30% of salary can be considered tax exempt. Butby no means, the actual taxable salary can be lower than 75k gross annually. This means that someone offered 100k per annum l, they would need to get paid 75k in salary, and 25k as a free tax allowance. The 30% has a limot of 90k per annum.

Hope this helps