Morocco Mixed Marriage - Indian citizen/UK resident | Moroccan citizen

Hi everyone,

I have finished my marriage process and was thinking to let people know about it as moroccan mixed marriage process can be difficult and confusing.

I am an Indian citizen residing permanently in UK and my wife is Moroccan citizeN. Therefore most of this information is relevant to Indian citizens.

Before we began our process, my wife went to adoul to get a list of documents needed.

The documents are as follows:

1) Capacity of marriage issued by consulate of home country.- India does not issue any such document, what you need to do is draft this on a piece of blank paper, post it to india to your family and ask them to submit it on your behalf to MEA outsource agency. List can be found here https://www.mea.gov.in/apostille-menu.htm. I went with Alankit Ltd and it costed me 2000rs per document. https://indianembassyrabat.gov.in/pdf/MarriageCertificateProforma.pdf

2) Certificate of conversion to Islam. - This is made in Morocco and for me, my adoul did this process within next working day.

3) Updated birth certificate - This can be collected from Indian embassy in Rabat. You have to complete a form and please take copy of your passport and visa. You have to pay approx 270dhs for it to a bank right behind the embassy. Note: The will give you certificate at 4pm and not before it. Please take it in French.

4) Certificate of nationality - Same as point 3. The certificate is a combination of Birth + Nationality.

5) Criminal records from home country. You can apply this online at - https://embassy.passportindia.gov.in/

I got this apostilled as well. costed same as point 1, 2000rs.

6) Certificate of employment with annual salary. This is pretty easy. Just ask your company to make one and make sure to mention passport number on it with annual salary, type of contract and also last 3 months salary slip. Drafts available on google.

7) Residential certificate.-  In my case this was my british residence permit as im a resident here and not in India. Hence, it will be a form of residence certificate at wherever you are living.

8) Criminal records from ministry of justice Morocco. This is in rabat. You can apply it online and collect it from Rabat but it will not come with stamp as its an online version and you have to request for it, because the court will not accept this document without stamp. https://casierjudiciaire.justice.gov.ma/Accueil.aspx?culture=en-US

9) Medical certificate from Morocco- Again this can be taken from any doctor but I advice you take suggestion from your adoul. The doctor will stamp the certificate and it should cost around 200dhs for both of you.

10) Copy of passport

11) 4 passport size pictures. For safety take a whole bunch.

All documents need to be in Arabic. I used the following translator. Please negotiate with them. 17, Rue Habacha -Ex Briey, 1 étage, Grandcasablanca, 20000, Casabla, Casablanca 20100, Morocco

Also to save time I sent my scanned documents to my wife a week before going to morocco, and she followed up with the translator to keep them ready. I had to pay half cost upfront at time of request.

My whole process took 13 days(till signature on marriage certificate). Note that you should have 4 copies of documents for submission and few extra for yourself. I recommend 8 copies.

I started on 7th August with going to rabat for my criminal certificate, certificate of nationality and birth. This took me 1 day to take as I order my criminal record online and went straight to my embassy to collect the certificate of nationality and birth.

9th August we collected our translation and went adoul to receive our letter of request of marriage from them, which you have to take to Family and Social Affairs Court.

10th Aug went to Family and Social Affairs Court in Casablanca but got rejected as stamp was missing on criminal record and had to go back to rabat for it.

11th Aug went again but there was a replacement judge in service, due to him being new to these documents, he rejected everyone including moroccan citizens.

Went again to court on 15th Aug and fortunately it was the judge who deals with mix marriages and he approved our documents. From here we went to the police station in Casablanca. You can get the address from court itself.

You have to go to 5th floor and fill up a form which will then be submitted for police verification along with your documents. We were not interviewed at all BUT I have read on forums that people were interviewed. This was not a case with me.

The police station informed us to go to Family and Social Affairs Court after 5 days of submission of these documents.

Went to Family and Social Affairs Court again on 22 Aug (5 days after police station) and received our approval letter. Next, we called our adoul and informed them and they told us to come to adoul next day on 23 Aug to sign the contract of marriage. Note: This can change according to your contacts with adoul. In my case, my wifes family had connections with the officer at adoul and it helped us in doing our signature very next day.

Received our contract with stamp on 25th August from Adoul.

Note: Be ready to wait 2-3 hours or even more in every place. If you have to go Rabat, use AL-borak train to save time. Nikkah contract cannot have any conditions inside it except the mehr being stated.

Feel free to ask me any questions in comments :)

@Benson Harrison Thank you for your detailed post !

It is very much appreciated and I am sure will benefit members.

All the best

Bhavna

@Benson Harrison

Thank you so much for sharing this brother. I am an Indian citizen, living in the UK too and I am looking to get married to a Moroccan national, living in Morocco. Can  I please talk to you on whatapp whenever you are available. Many thanks

Many thanks brother. May Allah bless you.

@Benson Harrison

Thank you so much brother. I am also an Indian national, living in the UK. Could you please answer the below queries at your convenience:

1) Capacity of marriage issued by consulate of home country.- India does not issue any such document, what you need to do is draft this on a piece of blank paper, post it to india to your family and ask them to submit it on your behalf to MEA outsource agency - Do I need to make notary in the UK? Is Sub-Magistrate's stamp not needed before the apostille process?

2) Certificate of conversion to Islam. - This is made in Morocco and for me, my adoul did this process within next working day - What are the required documents? Also, "Mohammed" is mentioned in my name and my father's name on my passport, do I still need this certificate?

3) Updated birth certificate and 4) Certificate of nationality  - Can these two be applied together or these are two separate processes?

5) Criminal records from home country. I got this apostilled as well - I applied for PCC at HCI in London, do I need to apostille it in India or can I do it in the UK as it will be issued in the UK?

7) Residential certificate.-  In my case this was my British residence permit as I'm a resident here and not in India - I have a BRP card, Will a photo copy of this be okay ? Also, this is going to expire in one month after the planned date of getting married but I am planning to apply for further. Will this be an issue?

8) Criminal records from ministry of justice Morocco. This is in rabat. You can apply it online and collect it from Rabat but it will not come with stamp as its an online version and you have to request for it, because the court will not accept this document without stamp - How many days before the arrival you recommend me to apply this? Can I apply online from UK and collect it from their office after arrival ? And how can I request it with a stamp? You recommend me to apply it in person?

Many thanks brother. May Allah bless you.

@Aslamuk

Dont do notary yourself, the agency does it for u.

Certificate of conversion is there choice. I cant say if theyll accept you as muslim or not. Its made in morocco by adul.

yes both are applied together and even certificate is 2 in 1.

Apostile in India as its issued by Indian embassy not UK authority.

Photocopy is okay yes but ofcourse you have to carry it in Morocco. - Just be aware if your brp is expiring soon, you might not be allowed entry. Marriage in Morocco takes 15-20 days minimum excluding Saturday and Sunday, so whenever you enter Morocco count 30 days extra on top for marriage to finish completely with Certificate in your hand. I entered on 6th August, got married on 23rd and got certificate on 25th which is almost a full month.

Apply it 1 week before going, its usually ready in few days. Yes you can apply online on their website. Just ask for stamp when you collect it from Ministry of Justice.

Also whats your visa status in UK? Which visa are you on? This can affect your partners entry in UK.

@Benson Harrison

Apologies for delayed response brother as I was travelling and I could not login in to expat.com. BRP is not an issue at all. Could you please share your whatsapp or email

@Aslamuk message me here if you have any doubts

@Benson Harrison
Thank you so much for sharing this brother. I am an Indian citizen, living in the UK too and I am looking to get married to a Moroccan national, living in Morocco. Can  I please talk to you on whatapp whenever you are available. Many thanks

-@Aslamuk I need your WhatsApp number for more information please

@Benson Harrison.hi brother about capacity of marriage certificate i download this from your link now if I send it to my brother by WhatsApp will it work or not and which documents I have need to attech on this certificate

@Benson Harrison how my family submit to Delhi out source agency through post office or WhatsApp or is it compulsory to go Delhi to submit in office of agency out source

@nisar98922 how much time takes to complete this document  and is this document expiry date or not

@Benson Harrison after getting capacity of marriage certificate is this document expiry date or not

@nisar98922 You have to fill the form with signature and send it to your brother via post office from Saudi to Delhi. Whatsapp will not work because this document will be apostilled in the back by MEA.

You have to go to out source agency to submit this, they will not accept by post. I think they will ask for your adhar card and passport copy.

There is no whatsapp procedure. These are legal documents, you have to go or send your family.

There is no expiry date but all documents must be dated within 3 months from date of submission in Morocco, else Morrocan court will reject it.

So if you submit documents to moroccan court in August, all documents must be dated June, July, August. If its from May, morrocan courts will reject them.

You also need to apostille criminal records from India. Check procedure above.

It takes 2-3 days for document to be apostilled. Its a quick process.

@Benson Harrison thanks brother for replying... I have plan to marry in August so I start process in May or June for apostille

@Benson Harrison they ask me adhar card and passport orginal or Xerox or photostat copy because I am in saudi arabia my brother will do all process in India

@nisar98922 Yeah get your documents in June/july. I did my apostile in July and marriage in August.

They only need photocopy but call them and confirm with them. Try to bargain for price. 2000rs is not fixed price.

@Benson Harrison ,,,, how much time takes from India to Saudi Arabia via post office to get documents in saudi arabia, before i never try this

@nisar98922 depends on which courier you choose. I used DHL from UK to India, and same from India to UK. They do 2 day delivery for 5000rs 1 side, but cost will  be different for Saudi.

@Benson Harrison thanks brother now i understand, Money is not a problem

@Benson Harrison hi brother in capacity of marriage certificate there is mentioned in 2nd paragraph as on date ................ Which date i mentioned in this blank i think the date of filling form and submission.

And tell about two witnesses mentioned in below

I think in my family and person who is more than 18 years whose name and signature

@nisar98922 yes witness anyone 18+ that knows you personally like neighbours, family and date you will put on the day you submit the form for apostile.

@Benson Harrison thanks

@Benson Harrison hi bro regarding about conversation of islam or proof I am Muslim....I am born in Muslim family I am not converted but I don't have proof or certificate to show that I am Muslim , you have mentioned that contact with adoul is this same process for me or else how I solve this problem

@nisar98922 Contact adoul. Everyone needs certificate regardless if they were born muslim or not.

@Benson Harrison Hi, can you tell me why you obtained your criminal record check from India and not the UK where you are resident? kind regards