We love dorado but haven't made friends

Hi there .

My husband and I left NYC and moved to dorado. I often visited throughout the last 8 years because my mom had a beach house for years. We have a three year old daughter and now find ourselves a bit lonely. We haven't met people other than my mother's retired friends. We are fun and just need some kind of groups or friends to enjoy paradise with.

Any recommendations?

@egullo9 I go to Puerto Rico every 2 to 3 months for a week and every time I go I meet people no matter where I go. So maybe you aren't social enough to meet people. I have a girlfriend there, a realtor that I talk to regularly, and another friend I met through a friend. Maybe try joining some clubs to meet people or go dancing somewhere, or take some classes.

@islandmetro thanks . That was the purpose of my post. To be more friendly. I do know many friends. I was looking for more things to do with people maybe couples and couples with kids.

@egullo9

Hi there!  Fellow New Yorker here.  This island can be very lonely so I really feel for you. This was the case for me and my family when we first moved here for the summer a couple of years back. Now we live in Bayamon with our two daughters who are 10 and 8.

Things change drastically for us when our daughters started school and we met a lot of wonderful parents that we not considered good friends through our girls.  Does your little girl go to daycare? If not, maybe consider sending her to one for a few hours a week. That will give her great practice to socialize with kids her age and would also be a good opportunity to meet other parents.

Secondly, have you checked to see if there are any WhatsApp groups that are Dorado specific, and geared towards moms and/or expats?  I'm sure you can pop in there and see if anybody wants a playdate at the park or the beach. There seems to be a group for everything and in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a group specific to your neighborhood.  If you have any problems finding one let me know and I can ask around.

Lastly, if I were you I would check and see if there was a gym in the area that also offers kid daycare. In that case they watch your child while you work out. It's a great opportunity to meet other parents while you also get some time to yourself and get a work out in.

I'll come back if I can think of anything else.  Best of luck to you!!!  It gets easier with time. 😊

Meda

@egullo9. Another idea.... Because everything revolves around our children, see if you can sign your little girl up for swimming, gymnastics or dance classes.  Those classes are not one-offs so you'll see and meet a lot of regulars.