Your neighbours in Sri Lanka

Hello everyone,

When you move in Sri Lanka, relationships with your neighbours can play a vital role in your well-being and integration. Share your experiences of the interactions and routines that punctuate your daily life in Sri Lanka:

Tell us about your relationships with your neighbours in Sri Lanka. Do you have any anecdotes to share, moments of solidarity or community initiatives that have touched you?

Are there any specific customs or cultural norms to be respected between neighbours? For example, is it normal to introduce yourself to your neighbours and invite them over when you move in Sri Lanka?

Do you have any tips or advice for fostering good neighbourly relations in Sri Lanka? How do you deal with the differences and diversities that can exist within the community?

Are there any initiatives to organise activities between neighbours, whether official events or spontaneous gatherings?

Are your neighbours expats or locals? How does this influence your experience in Sri Lanka?

By sharing your experiences, you enrich everyone's understanding of life in Sri Lanka and help many people to plan their life abroad.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

@Cheryl

The buddhist community will often hold an almsgiving for new homes, & invite neighbours, family & friends. Family usually helps with all of the prep from the day/night before & on the day. I don't know of other traditions for welcoming neighbours (although that is not the sole purpose of an almsgiving). I'm not sure about the customs outside of buddhism for welcoming neighbours. Around the Sinhala & Tamil new year as well as EID or during any almsgiving you'll usually be invited tto share food or be given some at your door by your neighbours.

Neighbours will usually boldly ask questions, unless there is a language barrier. There is typically no hiding from your neighbours unlike say in London. In all honesty its very gossipy, you will get talked about. I hear my neighbours telling complete strangers about my life, they also update people from the area that I no longer live in (its a small town lol). Saying that if you need help they will likely help out, or know who to call & alot of information in sri lanka is still spread via word of mouth. You find out alot talking to the locals/neighbours. I find the foreign neighbours keep more to themselves. I've lived in 4 houses, & on both the east & west coast & its been the same each time.

People often gather on the street when there is a big festival going on, kids usually group together to play outside, mostly for cricket or if around the new year then some local games (I dont remember the names).

Everyones experience is different. This has been mine :)

Locals learn from foreigners.  Sri lankans are known for the default hospitality. Its how you react with neighbours.  Most will like new knowledge and companionships i believe