Head start on planning for my move to Belize

I'm three years away from my pension and social security, want to get a head start on planning for my move to Belize.

I'm single and hoping to meet a woman down there around my age. Looking for a slow pace, frugal living.

Coastal living appeals to me , I understand the police presence is greater because of protecting tourists. I'm sure the cost of living is higher there as well.

Ive heard of areas that are favored by American retirees, I would be very interested in information about these areas.

I don't intend to buy a vehicle, but a scooter sounds like fun! I'm thinking about traveling via bus or taxi, some information on that would be greatly appreciated.

I understand produce is affordable and readily accessible, what about meats and cheeses? What's the cost of dining out, fast food or sit down, is it recommended?

Finally, what is the banking system like? Are there banks recommended for Americans receiving monthly deposits? How much cash is smart to carry and is debit cards use as common there as it is in the states?

Any information would be appreciated ,

Have a great day!

@markrife1962

hello and welcome on board !

Till members share some input with you, I would recommend that you read the articles of the Living in Belize guide for expats. It contains information on nearly every aspects of Expatriation to Belize.

All the best

Bhavna

Thank y oh, Bhavna!

Check out Mayan Seaside in Consejo, Corozal District.  Great community of mostly younger retired people, on the Chetumal Bay.  We love it here!

Suggest that you rent at first, see what you like best!

@deborahkey19 thanks for the tip,  I'll check it out!

@markrife1962

Belize is a wonderful place to live for some people. Most Belizeans are wondefrul friendly people. One of the key  reasons I bought a second home here in Placencia. 

However LONG TERM, it is not for most folks used to North American standards.

I first came to Belize in 2009 and vacationed for a few weeks at a time until I retired in 2015. In 2016 i bought my small 2nd home in The village. The wife and i spend about 6 months over 2-3 trips each year. We do not need a car, and we can walk anywhere in the Village in a short time. I do have a bike, and we take a taxi from time to time up the pensulila. That might not work in some areas. We occasionally rent a car for a few days if we decade to visit other areas of the country. 

As for meeting a Belizean woman, my observations of other expats, is once she moves in, you soon are the major supporter of an extended family....

Please come visit Belize, try different areas in different seasons, it is a very diverse country, But in my opinion, it is foolish to make any commitments long term without getting your sandal's in the sand in several areas first. 1f600.svg

@Aerodex thanks for the information!

I fully intend to visit the area,  repeatedly,  until I retire. The humidity has got my attention,  I spent the last tens years in phoenix,  now I'm in Memphis.

Have a great day!

Mark