Temporary residency and cedula bank account

hello , Im new and planning to get the temporary and then permanent residency in Paraguay.

Did anyone go through the process on his own and can describe the process ?

Or can anyone recommend a fixer who helped with the process. Do you know how long it takes?

Would I be able to open a bank account too during the process?

Thank you very very much

saludos

Hello,

it depends on which account we are talking about. In some banks, you will be able to open a classic domestic account in the local currency (Guarani).

Only a few companies will open a SWIFT dollar account that communicates with the world. Without them, you need domestic income and a lot of documents.

Sincerely

You can only legally get a bank account in Paraguay once you have a cedula de identidad.

@KT_2026

Banks need to see your cedula in hand before they will open an account for you in most cases or they may ask for an Interpol certif. and a large deposit along with printed bank account proof of where the money is legitimately coming from.

If you pay a little more at the Immigration dept. you can directly apply for the permanent residency card rather than just a temporary one so that you don't have to go through extra steps later. The permanent ID card is separate from the Cedula ID card so you will get 2 cards at the end.

If you go to the immigration dept. (emigracion) and ask for a printed list of items you need to provide that would be the most up to date information, and they do have an online webpage but I don't remember the link. Maybe you can do a search online for cedula application.

For the cedula, they do require cash deposit of close to $5000 usd or equivalent in guaranies cash deposit to their central BNF bank downtown of which you keep the deposit receipt so that after you get your cedula almost 8 months later, you can show the cedula ID with your deposit slip to withdraw the money you deposited. BNF will automatically exchange your dollars at a very bad exchange rate compared to what other exchange houses like Norte Cambios downtown or in the Villa Morra area off Mariscal Ave. there is M&D Cambios, and Alberdi Cambios which usually give better rates than Chaco cambio or Maxi Cambios.  I would suggest you exchange the approx. $5000 deposit into guaranies at one of these better places and then deposit those guaranies at BNF bank instead of exchanging at BNF bank while there. When you finally withdraw that money with your cedula and deposit slip take it back in guaranies so that you're not paying more to buy back in dollars or some other currency since you will be staying here and using that amount locally in time anyway.

They say that if you lose your deposit slip or don't receive your cedula for whatever reason that BNF bank will not be required to return your money so I would suggest not wasting any time in getting all the documents from you home country you need before you go to Interpol with authenticated passport pages and photos taken here or the Informatica Dept which asks for your apostilled birth certificate. because the certificates that both these depts give you expire in 6 months.

So first get your FBI summary check authenticated if required depending on your country of origin and have that before going to the Interpol and Informatic Dept. for their certifcates which will not be ready the same day so you will need to return in 1-2 days after. You will be running around to a number of buildings and getting numerous notarized pages done all of which cost money. The cheapest notary I found was the one in front of the emigracion dept doors across the street without signs; and not the notary to the right side of the emigracion dept which does have signs because they cost more.

I've been told lawyers who take care of the process may cost up to $2000 usd but I don't know any to refer. You could maybe search online for immigration lawyers.

@advancetoday , hi thanks for all the info. DId you do the whole process on your own?

@KT_2026,

My Immigration Consultant worked wonders for me, and she is quite knowledgeable, resourceful.

A US citizen, I've been a PR since 2018.

Let me know via private message if you are still seeking.