Moving dogs and cats from uk to BG

ok so i have to many dogs (6) and 3 cats that will be coming with us. im pricing up the options.

id thought id fly them and arrange it myself. not rocket science.

im trying to find an airline that will let me do that!

i even thought ill drive them to france and wack us all onto BGairline. nope! going to be a challenge if at all possible becas eof the lack of pet passports. just these darned health certificates.

im trying to find a plan to move our 10 chickens as well. their so chilled with eveyrthing i life. ive moved them 6 hours by car and they couldnt have cared less :)

help! anyone got any clues how i can do this please?

drivingf is going to hiring a van, then health certificates for each country we go through! going to cost a fortune

Laptop driving through from a furrow you might can do it on a ball if you get a van I once droved onto furry with my animals I don't know if you can still do it

I once I had a van and drove my animals onto a boat but I don't know if we can still do it

@Suzi Masterson

You need pet passports.

Animal Health Certificates are issued in the UK, for travel to Europe and back within 4 months. In the UK they replaced the EU Pet Passport, after Brexit.

To travel to the UK from Europe you need valid EU Pet Passports. I doubt you'll get the chickens in because they're classed as livestock and more recent outbreaks of bird flu, will most likely scupper that. As someone has suggested just putting them in a van and driving through, I wouldn't recommend it. It is illegal, the animals would be confiscated and probably euthanised and the fines would be hefty.

It's irrelevant what means of travel you use, you still need the passports.

@an3895509

thats been illegal for over 20 years.

when we returned to the uk after living in france the haulier i used didnt declare my goats. they slipped them in between a shared load.

caused no end of issues when i registered them with defra.

@grumpyoldbird

thats the issue driving them all. i need a heath cert for every country. there £180 per country. wed go through 5 countries.  thata £900 times 9. plus im paying nearly £5k to move the ponies. thats not even starting to look at the poultry.

im very aware the money runs away very very fast

theres an airline that ive managed to find after about 20+ hours of googling that might take the dogs and cats. they do take other animals. so hopefully they might take the cluckers. id hate to re home them. their lovely little mites. dont lay an egg hardly but lovely critters :)

fingers crossed i can.

@Suzi Masterson

Read this > https://www.gov.uk/guidance/export-livestock-and-poultry

@SimCityAT  this seems the most complicated option so far! moving the ponies is pretty straight forward.

its just ticking a few boxes and getting the vet to check them over. thats not an issue at all.

ill have a chat with my vet and see what she says. thank you :)

@Suzi Masterson

The Animal Health Certificates are only issued by the UK for travel to Europe. They allow you to return to the UK within 4 months of issue. You should only need one AHC for each animal for the duration of the journey. They're a pain for the vets, so many won't do them and they're not cheap. When I moved to France I paid £935 for 6 dogs and 4 cats, just for the Certificates. They already had all their vaccinations.

You can take 5 pets in a vehicle with you, the rest you could put on transport. There are lots of Romanian pet transporters, who take dogs from Romania to the UK, so they might be happy to earn some money for the return trip and drop down into Bulgaria for you.

I'm afraid you'll probably have to rehome your chickens, as they're not classed as pets and with recent outbreaks of bird flu, I suspect you'd struggle to get permission.

Best bet is to contact DEFRA. They can give you advice on the chickens and the dogs and cats. I can give you contact details for some Romanian transporters if it helps.

Suzi, I'm sure you won't need a separate animal health certificate for every country, just one for each cat and dog which will then cover them for the entire EU. Make sure your route stays within the EU and it should be fine. Ha, I see Elaine said the same while I was writing, and she knows far more about this than I do!

The chooks could be more challenging, unfortunately. It might work out best to rehome them in the UK, rather than risk them being found at a border check and removed. When you talk to your vet about the ponies and the cat and dog AHCs, for sure ask if they know what will work for pet hens. Hopefully they'll know a way.

@Suzi Masterson

Read my reply above. I'm trying to paste a copy of a page, but it won't let me. One AHC let's you travel throughout the EU. You don't  need one for every country.

Does anyone know how to post a screenshot on here?

@grumpyoldbird

Hello, you need to upload the screenshot on an image hosting website like https://imgbb.com/ and then copy the image link (ending by .png)

Paste it here by clicking on the image icon

Screenshot-2023-04-23-at-20-47-13.png

bg7svSb.png@Suzi Masterson

@Bhavna

I'm not very techie and I'm struggling with this. I've done the download, but I cant find a url ending in .png. I've tried posting the link it's given me and it doesn't work. Thanks anyway.

@grumpyoldbird

Maybe try a popular photo site like Google Photos?

That's at https://photos.google.com/

Sign up so you can create some albums and upload your photos. You can make an entire album or a single photo shareable, and get a link.

You then write your post here, and include the shareable link ("Create link to share") that Google just gave you.

As an example, here's our village house with the new external shutters we just got fitted.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v9bUBGrEXUUFT6GU8

I posted this using the link (chain icon) rather than the picture icon.

The picture option won't work with Google Photos (and similar albums) as it doesn't give a direct link to an image (.jpg or .png etc).

imgbb the suggested site lets you upload an image without an account (or you can sign up to save more). It gave me a shortcut URL, but when I opened that link in another tab it gave me the actual image URL (a .jpg). This is the mountain next to our village house, as an example (using the picture embedding option).

20200906-080609.jpg

@gwynj

I'll try that. Thank you 🙂

@Suzi Masterson

Ok let's see if this works. Check out the link

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xUARhcZkYomNSz9m7

That worked, though i had to log in to my Google account to see it.

@janemulberry

Oh right. Technology defeats me again then 😂

ADCreHfRbAlDd0mf6w6PNlugq14fMBOZLqEH4qgW0UDubHDwjdNmB1PBxPoeg_x7-IOWJ5KzDyjp3d9kdWMwxvAIcOnJAWQeVNEl8szeBTBDCJ4topgNeK5ylFKcB6UKD7yfawb3Z05qSVv62R7yy8BvosHw=w349-h737-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Suzi, I'm sure you won't need a separate animal health certificate for every country, just one for each cat and dog which will then cover them for the entire EU. Make sure your route stays within the EU and it should be fine. Ha, I see Elaine said the same while I was writing, and she knows far more about this than I do!
The chooks could be more challenging, unfortunately. It might work out best to rehome them in the UK, rather than risk them being found at a border check and removed. When you talk to your vet about the ponies and the cat and dog AHCs, for sure ask if they know what will work for pet hens. Hopefully they'll know a way.

-@janemulberry

my vet told me the health cert if for every country. absolute insantiy.

i have found (i think. im just waiting for them to confirm) an airline that can help fly us all over at the same time. thats idea for ease as 3 of the dogs dont like long car journeys and 1 of the older once gets travel sick. idea for a 27 hour journey :)

ive spoken to boaredr control regarding the cluckers. they said as long as ive done everything i should and they are on good health then there shouldnt be an issue. ideally id like to take them. they are lovely little souls. and a lot of hens (the breeds i have) people take them on to lay eggs. then they cull them for the table!! its a delema if its to risky because re homing is an issue too.

thank you all as ususal for the great advice :)

im trying to sort flying everyone. its a killer drive with 6 dogs. 3 dont like going in the car as that meants the vet. nother gets car sick. 1 cat loves the car but wont travel in a box. nothing dangerous about that!! the other 2 scream the entire way. it would be a hell journey :)

regarding the chickens. i may have sorted how to get them with us. going through boarder from uk to bulgaria only. flying with the rest of us. none of them are old. all is good health so should be ok.

i have 1 month 9 days to make a plan as thats when we move

@Suzi Masterson

That all sounds like a nice easy option. I'm sending my dogs on road transport, which I'm not looking forward to, because of their experiences in Romania. It will be upsetting for them and me, but I'll only be away from them for a few days, so hopefully they'll recover quickly once I get there. The cats will be coming in the van with me, because it would be too stressful for them to travel with the dogs barking in the van, so that's going to be interesting.  Oh joy! 🙄

@grumpyoldbird 3 of mine are from romania. the other 3 found in a bin here in the uk.

unless im driving mine wont cope. i have disabled kids that cant cope without me or for that length of journey. im stuck between a rock and a hard place

Suzi, I'm glad you are finding solutions to moving your furred and feathered family members. :)

When we make the big move, we'll have our four cats in the van with us, which will make for a fun trip! *rolls eyes* We currently have five cats, but our senior cat is sadly unlikely to still be with us when we make the move, and I'd delay the move if we had to, rather than put him through that stress.

In the meantime, I'm strenuously resisting my husband's efforts to seek out more animals to adopt before we move.

If travelling by car be mindful of the laws in each country with pets. Some require that they be housed in cages and not allowed to be move freely in the vehicle. i.e dogs.

@janemulberry

I'm struggling to resist taking on more dogs. It would be more expense getting them to Bulgaria and fewer spaces for rescues who need help there, so I'm having to be really strict with myself. 😬

@janemulberry
I'm struggling to resist taking on more dogs. It would be more expense getting them to Bulgaria and fewer spaces for rescues who need help there, so I'm having to be really strict with myself. 😬

-@grumpyoldbird

You will need to take several trips, or take someone with you?

You only need one AHC for each animal, not per country. That's still a lot of money. I've paid between £120 and £180 for one AHC

@grumpyoldbird im having that issue here in the UK. the XL bully situation. all these dogs being culled because they were born into the wrong skin. awful

i cant take more than 6. i know ill take on more when weve moved.

im envious of you setting a rescue up. i couldnt afford too after the move

@Suzi Masterson

You're not wrong. About the money..

Maybe one big crate if they all get along.

Try with the RSPCA at Heathrow.. or Luton..Gatwick..or whatever airport flies to BG.

They will help..of phone Wizzair for eg.who do fly to bourgas....if that was done..you need someone to transport the dogs..arrange accommodation etc

No apartment owner would allow so many dogs...maybe buy your home first

Build kennels etc..its lots of hard work

And lots of money.good luck.

@Suzi Masterson

The XL Bully is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It's the idiots that own them, not the dogs. All that will happen now, is that they'll move on to other breeds. Cane Corso's are the current favourite.

I'm not actually setting up the rescue, because quite by accident I stumbled across one that was already set up. They've had lots of interest in the house, but potential buyers, just want the house, not the dogs. Some of the dogs will still find homes, but some are unsuitable to be homed, so they'll stay with us. Going to see it between 14th and 18th February. Getting excited now. Did you get transport sorted?

😊

@Suzi Masterson
The XL Bully is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It's the idiots that own them, not the dogs. All that will happen now, is that they'll move on to other breeds. Cane Corso's are the current favourite.
I'm not actually setting up the rescue, because quite by accident I stumbled across one that was already set up. They've had lots of interest in the house, but potential buyers, just want the house, not the dogs. Some of the dogs will still find homes, but some are unsuitable to be homed, so they'll stay with us. Going to see it between 14th and 18th February. Getting excited now. Did you get transport sorted?
😊

-@grumpyoldbird

the xl bully thing you are very right on. its bad owners make troubled dogs. thats with every breed isnt it. so sad when these poor animals loose their lives to awful people.

we move next month. we are driving in 2 trips. im going trip 1 with my kids and the more nervous dogs. my adult son and dad are bring the remaining older dog (who is in love with my son hence her being the last 1 to come) and the 3 cats.  its just scary expensive to get the health certificates for that many animals. its crazy when moving the animals is half the price ontop than the cost of the house isnt it. but they are family :)

its getting scary level exciting moving now. im lucky i now know someone locally (lovely lady from the hotel we usually stay at we have become friends ). slightly less terrifying haha

@Suzi Masterson

It's nice that you've found a friend. Just remember one health certificate for each pet, will get you all the way through Europe. You don't need one for each country and its valid for 4 months. If anyone tells you differently, stand your ground, because they're wrong.

@Suzi Masterson hi, just wondering how the move t9 bulgaria went. i'm planning on moving over from uk to varna area this year, 3 greyhounds with me. thinking i'll get a camper van and drive over with them. hope you  are enjoying everything and things are calm.