Car Rental

Hi! My wife and a couple of our friends are vacationing in Northern Costa Rica end of January 2024. Flying in to Liberia... Where is the best place to rent a car... my understanding is we DON'T want to do it at the airport(?) Also, in Liberia, a decent (meaning nice local color for a reasonable price) hotel for the night before we fly out and a couple good restaurants? The rest of our trip will be spent in Air BNBs.

@Larry56  you can rent from Adobe at the  airport but all the other franchises are a rip off. Adobe  does not surprise you will charges when you bring back the car and are upfront and very nice.

After being ripped off by Avis  locals recommended  Abobe  and they've been great.  Rented  3  times from them.

Thanks, Laura, I've rented from Abobe before... Isn't there a surcharge when renting at the airport? There is in San Jose. Friends told us to take a cab to a car rental place outside the airport to avoid the fee. Is that different in Liberia?

Maybe it's in the daily fee but i dont see a line item for it. Adobe doesnt have many locations away from the airport that have cars to rent. i tried in Huacas to see if it was cheaper but they dont rent from that location. i decided it was a better cost anyway because avis charged me over $700 and i brought it back early.

Yikes! Thank you!

However you arrange a rental car, be certain to have them quote the entire cost to you. Sometimes, the rental rates quoted seem very reasonable but they're not including the mandatory insurance and maybe other costs. Be very careful to go over the vehicle before you leave the rental company to look for and record all damage however slight. Otherwise, when you turn it in, they'll likely want to charge you for repairs.

Costa Rican law mandates that your rental car be covered by a Costa Rican insurance company, so no matter what your home insurance agent or your credit card company says, their coverage is not recognized in Costa Rica. And it's not optional.

Also, Larry56 wrote above, "Isn't there a surcharge when renting at the airport?" That's almost universally true, so arrange for the rental company to meet you at the airport and bring you to their office to do the paperwork and pick up the vehicle.

@daveandmarcia Thank you!!