Does anyone have experience on private (non international) schools?

Hello all!!

I'm Diego, from Spain. Me, my wife (Chinese national) and our daughter (7 years old) usually spend about 4 months each year in Guangzhou. We have been considering moving there for a long time, but the incredibly high cost of international schools is something we can't afford.

I do have a good salary (IT security engineer), specially for Spanish standards, and I work from home, that's why we can spend May to August there every year (except, of course, the COVID years).

I've been thinking on looking for a job on an international school. In Shenzhen, for example, where there are many ones, but I'm not a teacher, and the salaries and work conditions don't seem to be very good. They would give us a big discount for our daughter's tuition (I think?) but depending on the working hours I would not be able to keep my current job, which is a big bummer.

I saw some mentions of private, non international schools in China, but most websites focus only on the international schools or the government ones, does anybody have experience on private (non international) schools?

I also thought about finding a job in some Shenzhen company, in some IT related position, and see if they include kids education in their package, but last year I've had no luck at all. I guess me being 49 doesn't help...

Anyways!!! Nice to be here, and all the best to everyone.

@Diego314

Hello and welcome on board  Diego !

Please note that I have created a new thread from your post on the Guangzhou forum so that members can share some feedback with you.

All the best

Bhavna

Hi Diego,

You can and SHOULD enroll you children into local Chinese schools. It is the law that your children cannot be denied an education.

The only hurtle is placement. Placement is based on amount of time that you have lived in the city, whether or not you own a home, and other factors. The schools tend to pick the highest qualified students right off the bat. And to stay in school, your children must push themselves to be the very best. If they cannot make subsequent cuts, you will need to look elsewhere.

Our daughter is in kindergarten right now. We chose a private kindergarten because we couldn't make the placement list. Even though we have lived in the city for ten years and own multiple properties locally.

We networked though friends. Found a connection who introduced us to a school and my daughter was a BIG HIT. Everyone wants a weiguren student. Especially a mix like my daughter is. Tuition is 6000 rmb a semester. We had a nice talk with the principal and she made room for my daughter.

I urge you to follow in my footsteps. Your children will get a fantastic education. Complete with military style basic training. Be bi-lingual. Have friends galore, and would take part in so many exciting opportunities... far too many to list here.

Here's a video of her visiting one of the extra-curricular activities designed to teach young kids how to speak and communicate in groups. She's the girl being fussed all over.

Resistance is futile!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVcosfCqwNA

Never be afraid to ask. If you don't the answer will always be no.

Best regards. And good luck!

Hello, Vannrox, and thanks for the reply and advice!

At the moment, we are leaning away from the public education system because we feel is too focused on memorization, and on information being transmitted strictly from top to bottom, where you are taught to always listen and not question what you are told.

Our daughter has been (and still is) enrolled in a Spanish school since she was 3 years old, and the focus has always been on encouraging creativity, innovation, and independent thought. She is a very creative and curious kid, and we feel she needs an environment that contributes to develop those skills.

Still, our information may be outdated or plainly wrong. China changes very fast, and the current education system may be very different from the one that existed twenty so years ago.

Also, I see you are located in Zhuhai. How is life there? We were considering either Guangzhou or Shenzhen, but lately I've heard nothing but good things about Zhuhai, maybe I should add it to my list of possible places to move to.

Thanks for your advice!! The most helpful advice is the one that doesn't match what you currently believe. :-)