Residence Permit in Turkey!?

Hi,

I am in Istanbul currently,

and I want to stay here, long term.

I am looking for jobs and so my question

to get a Residence Permit how do I apply for one??

can I go in person do it or must be online?

how can I start?

I need this to be able to live here long term.

Hi there,

There are multiple types of residence permits and I'm not familiar with the process for any of them except residence through property investment.  The requirements for residence have become stringent lately for all types and the residence through property investment was just recently increased to minimum $200K.  To get started, look at the website for the Ministry of Interior Migration Administration Website, the second web address provides information on requirements for application:

https://e-ikamet.goc.gov.tr

https://e-ikamet.goc.gov.tr/Ikamet/IstenenBelgeler

This website provides simple outline of the types of residence permits:

https://istanbul.tips/residence-permit-in-turkey/

I am also going to seek a short term residence when I move to Turkey via the property investment option since I am retired and I want to live my golden years in the warmth of Turkey.

Good Luck in your pursuits.

The only way to apply for a student permit in Turkey is through an associate, bachelor, or master's program if you are currently in the country. Istanbul.tips is a much-outdated resource and not a legal resource. If you want to study a language course, you must return to your home country. Alternatively, some countries like Germany may allow you to apply for a student visa remotely, enabling you to apply for a student permit. These visas are not easy to obtain these days, but it is not impossible.

Starting October 16, 2023, you can obtain residency by investing less than $200,000. However, it's important to note that the permit category will differ. If you invest $200,000, you'll be eligible for a Class B permit, which grants residency by investment. On the other hand, if you invest a lesser amount, you'll receive a Class E permit reserved for tourists.

It is challenging to obtain tourist permits to live in Turkey due to the high number of foreigners. The government is working towards simplifying the program to ensure that it is fair for those who genuinely deserve it, unlike the previous system, which was in place before December 2022.

The difference between a home buyer and a tourist seeking a residence permit is based on their purpose. For the same Class E permit, the chances of approval are higher for a home buyer than for a renter.

In Turkey, finding a legal job without a valid residence permit is impossible. To obtain a work visa, you need to return to your home country and apply for it from there.

The application process for a residence permit can only be done within Turkey, and the information provided on the website is outdated as it has not been updated since 2013.

To start your process, start with the rental process, as the first step is to find a suitable place to rent, ensuring that it is not in a restricted district or neighborhood. Once you have found a place, you need to legally secure your address by getting the rental agreement notarized. After this step, you can apply online using Gino's first link. To complete your application, you will need to gather supporting documents such as your passport, visa, entry stamp, rental agreement (tapu, dask, numerataj), insurance, apostle bank statements showing adequate funds, travel plan, hotel bookings, etc.

The Presidency of Migration Management is the only authorized body that can approve or suggest the outcome of your case. No agency, lawyer, accountant, or other entity can guarantee a favorable result without bribery. We strongly advise you to avoid any such practices or the use of agencies that provide fake addresses, utility bills, etc., as these activities are entirely illegal. Getting caught using such services may result in severe penalties and a 5-year ban due to fraudulent activities.

Take some time to consider carefully which path you want to pursue. When dealing with insurance, only work with licensed legal agencies. If you are looking for a good option, real estate might be the way to go unless you plan on enrolling in a master's program. If that's the case, keep in mind that the semester starts soon but also begins again in September. Count your visa days. That's crucial.

The number of days remaining on your visa will help determine your best course of action. You might need to leave and return based on your assessment of living as an expat in Turkey.

Best of luck 1f603.svg

@d4zt7bsj

My profound thank you for rescuing me from my ignorance on this topic.  I offered my miniscule amount of knowledge since nobody had responded.   It seems that there are a lot of old or limited information websites when you google for residency requirements.  I find the information from official Turkish government agency's websites to be not very useful/helpful.  You always offer a wealth of information, what is your source of learning just out of curiosity?  Your input is always much appreciated. 

I'm currently working with a real estate agent who is also a family friend to help me through the entire process starting with getting a tax ID, and then setting up a bank account, purchasing the property and then applying for the ikamet.  There is not a better way than having a professional handling the whole process.

Best Regards d4zt7bsj and good luck to all in pursuing your expat status.

1f60a.svg

@aidayazd95 I have made some posts on Ikamet many months ago, nobody took this seriously as at the time (this is fine)

I am upset that people recognize the topic afterwards. It was clear for many, many months.

Rules are clear, please do not complain. Life can be easz. just bring some assets.

@Gino_C Thank you! :) I completely agree that government websites are often outdated, and Google searches can often lead to information that is either based on speculations or is no longer relevant. However, there are some excellent resources available out there. Additionally, working with a reliable Residency Advisor or Real Estate agent can be very helpful in navigating the process. I am glad that I was able to provide some value. Have a great weekend. :)

@aidayazd95you have to apply online

@marleysa I am simple, just ask companies for you to do so, no way I will go to a burden myself. It works quite well TRY 19.000 including taxes and servicing company, for two years extra is not too bad I think. We went to our real estate agent (of course they get their tips (included in the TRY 19.000) so free taxi, no hassle, easy going (I woud like to add we live in Mahmutlar (one of the really closed communities (we own though)) We are now fine until end of 2025. Lets see what happens after.

I am good in finances, but not in speaking Turkish or smooth things up with bureacracy. (a bonus for the company who helps, no pay if no cure)

Outsourcing is the key (not do it yourself), this applies to Ikamet, but also repairs, ....

@cdw057 i am a 'do it myself' kind of person, even fixed my own car, but each to his/her own :)

@marleysa Good luck, but for me the result is important (Ikamet)

@cdw057 Taxes you have to pay anyhow. (also depending of your property). I have heard some horror-stories.

The only house we have is in Alanya (Mahmutlar). If not approved, what are we going to do?