Magyar Language Requirement Question

I am 63 years old and retired at the beginning of last month. I am planning on taking my 5th trip to Budapest in April and staying 3 months. Ultimately, I'd like to relocate there permanently. I am of Hungarian decent on my father's mother's side which includes my great-grandmother as well as both of my great-grandfather's parents. I may be able to qualify for simplified naturalization, but I don't yet speak Hungarian. Is the language qualification less strict with senior citizens?

There is no difference for seniors, but folks with Hungarian ancestors get a more relaxed one.

IDK for sure but do believe you are not considered a senior in Hungary until you are at least age 65.

I did read in the past that they MAY consider not requiring the language portion of a citizenship test if the person is elderly, sickly or mentally disabled.

Do not quote me on that though.

If your able to prove you have HU blood then maybe they will not force the language portion>

Our son became a citizen through his father but he was a minor at the time and I think that may of helped with not needing the language portion.

He also went through the Hungarian embassy in Ca. and never dealt with the paperwork in Hungary. This was more then 25 years ago so my info is dated.

My husband submitted all his info to prove he was Hungarian to the embassy and spoke with them over the phone. I can not remember if he and our son had to physically go into the embassy or not.

I know paperwork arrived in the mail. We went into our local city hall to find out how easy it would be for me to become a HU citizen and they gave me all the forms to fill out and return.

I asked about the language portion and she was still willing to dig out the forms and speak to us even though we told her i\ do not speak Hungarian. Married 50 years to a HU citizen and mother of a citizen and have been living in Hungary for over a decade.

Never filled the papers out though. I was 65 at the time.

We were told by the clerk that the president of Hungary personally decides every case and rejects or approves themselves and it take up to a year to hear back.

My grandmother was born in Austria Hungary but now it is part of Poland.

I'll be 64 this year. By the time everything is processed for me, I'll be 65. I had a brief consultation with a lawyer that I  will see in person when I get to Hungary in April. He said I'll easily qualify for a temporary resident visa so I'll probably start with that and also start taking Hungarian language lessons. My most recent Hungarian ancestor was a great grandmother. I also have 2 Hungarian great great grandparents on the other side (both of my paternal grandmother's parents were of Hungarian origin). The problem will be getting all of the documents to prove it.

IDK where to start to get documents.

I would think a church in a town, city, village might have old records stored. Maybe city halls records?

I visited my fathers village in SE Poland a few years back. He was born in the same house his mother was born in. She in Austria Hungary and he in Poland.

The land boarders moved just a year before he was born in 1921.

My distant cousin also visited Poland, we had a family reunion.

He was from the US but spoke fluent Rusyn, Polish.

As a sort of gift he gave each of us a list of the family tree going back to around 1775.

Every one in my family was born or living close by each other back then.

He does research as a part time hobby, job to support his traveling back and forth to Poland.

He on this trip brought along 2 men from the UK. They were partners, sort of surprised me that they were gay and that the cousin who owned the B&B we stayed at was also openly gay and living in that small village.

Very open minded people really.

So this cousin was helping with translations for one of the UK guys who was trying to find his families land that was taken away during WW11.

He did some deep digging and he told us he usually starts his research with church records.

It was really nice getting a list of my great, great, great grandparents names. Many were both Rusyn surnames and many were Hungarian surnames.

Guess coming from the US, most of us do have a Heinz 57 background.

Be aware that often if a relation came through Ellis Island, the agents may of mis spelled names of both town and families .Happened with the name of my fathers village, totally butchered the spelling and it took over 59 years and a bit of luck on the internet to find the proper spelling and to find cousins in the US.

I will no doubt have to hire a genealogist to assist me. My ancestors were also from the former Upper Hungary/ Austro-Hungarian Empire. They lived in what was called Kassa in the mid/later 1800s. It is now Košice, Slovakia. That side of the family was Jewish so it's a good thing they immigrated to the US before WWII as all of the Jews from that area were "relocated" to Auschwitz. I have been to Košice twice and visited the Old Jewish Cemetery (Starý židovský cintorín) where my 3xgreat grandfather is buried. A guide that I had in Košice said all of the census, church/synagogue and tax records are kept in a nearby town and advised I me to go there for more information. I haven't made it yet and would need an interpreter as most of those documents would be in Hungarian. I have a copy of a tax record for my 3xgreat grandfather, but it's not notarized. Jews were allowed to start owning property in Košice proper beginning in 1840 in small numbers. Before that, they would live in surrounding villages and come to Košice to trade.

I'm also Heinz 57😀! My mother was adopted as an infant. We were able to identify her biological parents using DNA (ancestry dot com, 23&Me) with the help of Search Angels. My mom was 80 years old before we got our answers so both of her parents were deceased. She got to meet several sisters and brothers from her dad's side plus several nieces and cousins. Her family has lived in the US from before the Revolutionary War. Most were from the British Isles but one side were Huguenot refugees from France after the repeal of the Edict of Nantes. One of Mom's grandfather's was mixed race. He was born in Alabama, but began passing as white when he moved to Florida just before the turn of the century. I have Ghanaian,  Angolan and Congolese ancestry too according to 23&Me.

Interesting.

We drove though Kosice on our way to Kunkowa, a tiny village that has a population of around 150 people. That is where my father came from.

Hard to believe since he was such a S. ca. guy, never would of guessed he was born in a hut so to speak, dirt floors etc.

My Rusyn grandfather was born in Penn. but went over to Europe as a teenager to visit his uncles.

During his visit he was forced into the Czars Army!! Crazy stuff.

He met my Ruysn grandmother when she was 19 and they married before he returned to the US to make money to bring her, my father and aunt over. I know my father was about 7 when he came to the US so his American father lived overseas a long while after he got out of the Army.

Kunkowa is close to the city of Gorlice,large Jewish community there but as far as I know my peeps were Orthodox Christians.

In these small villages they had many different people living together, Jews, Christians and Gypsies.

At our family reunion we asked a relation in her early 90s about my fathers part of the tree.

She was still mentally sharp and said, did not they leave in 1939?

Guess the Germans moved them out and into larger cities to work in factories.

Most of my male cousins are half Rusyn and half Italian.

My mom was mixed race but blended in.

Growing up my friends always asked if my mom was my real mom or not. She was part Native American, black and half German.

My eldest sister did a recent DNA test with 23 and me.

They say even siblings can have a bit different DNA but her results showed we are 86% N. European, with 10% of that being from Norway. 8 % black, 3 different regions in sub Africa, Arab blood and Eskimo from the Berring straits and native blood from S. America? How my great grandmother pass as a Mohawk? It is confusing but it is all good.

Makes you wonder though where they get this info really. Sounds like my family comes from everywhere on the planet. I will say, I have rarely met anyone who looks like me. With us it is Nigeria and 2 other areas.

You might recall the brouhaha over Elizabeth Warren's ancestry. I think it turned out that the genealogy firms have very limited samples tagged to specific American tribes and so many people with tribal ancestry in the Americas somehow just get lumped together with a S American tag.

You might recall the brouhaha over Elizabeth Warren's ancestry. I think it turned out that the genealogy firms have very limited samples tagged to specific American tribes and so many people with tribal ancestry in the Americas somehow just get lumped together with a S American tag.        -@zif

I think you nailed it.

They just lump people into a group that suits their data or agenda.

My mother said growing up that her grandmother was always making beaded moccasions and other hand crafts in the Mohawk style.

They also used to have photos on their walls of native male relations with their long braids and native clothing on.

Sadly they all burnt up in a house fire.

My uncle, moms 19 year older half brohter was listed in the Smithsonian as a native American boxer.My first cousins on mom side all have their ID Numbers as tribal members. Their father had a bit of native blood in him too so they had more then enough to be adopted back into the nation.

They all have native names and there was a ceremony years ago where they were taken in.

My cousin had a free trade school, computer training all paid for by their adopted tribe.

Allot of thought was given to each of their new names, they suit each of them perfectly.

Funny thing is my now deceased brother actually looked more native then anyone in the family.

The only thing native looking about me is my high cheekbones and teeth.

Natives have a distinct type of tooth. They and Asians , called shovel teeth. More rounded inside the backs then most peoples teeth are. Made for chewing and tearing more then eating just berries and veggies.

Very strange how that is a real, thing.

I will tell ya, my dentists like my teeth but also hate them. Such deep roots, I really make them work for their money.

You might recall the brouhaha over Elizabeth Warren's ancestry. I think it turned out that the genealogy firms have very limited samples tagged to specific American tribes and so many people with tribal ancestry in the Americas somehow just get lumped together with a S American tag.        -@zifI think you nailed it.They just lump people into a group that suits their data or agenda.My mother said growing up that her grandmother was always making beaded moccasions and other hand crafts in the Mohawk style.They also used to have photos on their walls of native male relations with their long braids and native clothing on.Sadly they all burnt up in a house fire. My uncle, moms 19 year older half brohter was listed in the Smithsonian as a native American boxer.My first cousins on mom side all have their ID Numbers as tribal members. Their father had a bit of native blood in him too so they had more then enough to be adopted back into the nation.They all have native names and there was a ceremony years ago where they were taken in.My cousin had a free trade school, computer training all paid for by their adopted tribe.Allot of thought was given to each of their new names, they suit each of them perfectly.Funny thing is my now deceased brother actually looked more native then anyone in the family.The only thing native looking about me is my high cheekbones and teeth.Natives have a distinct type of tooth. They and Asians , called shovel teeth. More rounded inside the backs then most peoples teeth are. Made for chewing and tearing more then eating just berries and veggies.Very strange how that is a real, thing.I will tell ya, my dentists like my teeth but also hate them. Such deep roots, I really make them work for their money.    -@Marilyn Tassy

Off topic but meh.....

I wonder if dentists get sick of being told "Bite Me" - shovel teeth or otherwise.

I've read some tribes issue their own passports which have worked internationally - I think Iriqouis.   Some tribe members managed to enter Sweden or somewhere on their home made/issued passports.   I wonder if Mohawk members have tried that.  Could be a fun thing to try.

Never heard of tribal passports but it is logical..

My first cousin learned to speak fluent Algonquian.

He had a drumming group and used to sing and drum with them.

They made a CD of their music but never reached the top 100!

Full Drum Society was their name.

He lived on a reservation for over 10 years back east.

He now lives in the Philippines with his wife.

He visited me in Vegas once for a couple of days, wish we had more time to chat to each other. Very interesting person to talk with, so many tales.

I suppose one can learn any language if they really put in the effort and time.

Never heard of tribal passports but it is logical..
My first cousin learned to speak fluent Algonquian.
He had a drumming group and used to sing and drum with them.
They made a CD of their music but never reached the top 100!
Full Drum Society was their name.
He lived on a reservation for over 10 years back east.
He now lives in the Philippines with his wife.
He visited me in Vegas once for a couple of days, wish we had more time to chat to each other. Very interesting person to talk with, so many tales.
I suppose one can learn any language if they really put in the effort and time.

-@Marilyn Tassy

Have a look here about the Iroqouis passports.   Having looked at it again, your Mohawk ancestry makes you part of the famous Five Nations.   

I don't think their passports really worked very well but they tried it on and managed to get in and out a few places. 

I'm interested in these quirks - the border area between the USA and Canada seems to have a few of these things.   I am also sympathetic to the tribes asserting their sovereignty of course. 

There's a direct interest for Mohawk folk on that border area.  Click here for that.

Never heard of tribal passports but it is logical..My first cousin learned to speak fluent Algonquian.He had a drumming group and used to sing and drum with them.They made a CD of their music but never reached the top 100!Full Drum Society was their name.He lived on a reservation for over 10 years back east.He now lives in the Philippines with his wife.He visited me in Vegas once for a couple of days, wish we had more time to chat to each other. Very interesting person to talk with, so many tales.I suppose one can learn any language if they really put in the effort and time.        -@Marilyn TassyHave a look here about the Iroqouis passports.   Having looked at it again, your Mohawk ancestry makes you part of the famous Five Nations.    I don't think their passports really worked very well but they tried it on and managed to get in and out a few places.  I'm interested in these quirks - the border area between the USA and Canada seems to have a few of these things.   I am also sympathetic to the tribes asserting their sovereignty of course.  There's a direct interest for Mohawk folk on that border area.  Click here for that.-@fluffy2560

Yes, Mohawks were part of the 5 Nations.

They say the US consitution is based on the major principles of the 5 Nations.

Except they left out womens rights! The Mohawks were a matriarchel society.

With many native tribes people can be as little as just several generations ago and still be a tribal member.

With the Mohawks it is almost like another exclusive club.

When my mother passed I felt like she should be honored in some way.

I actually called up the Mohawk nation to get info straight from the source.

I told the women over the phone that my mother was one fourth Mohawk and she asked the surnames of some of her relations.

I told her 3 or 4 names and she said, yes, we have many people on our res with those names.

Then she said since my mother had no official ID card or number that to prove she was that much native would be hard.

A Mohawk has to be a min. of one fourth Mohawk and have 4 trusted tribal members stand up and swear they know for a fact that they are that much Mohawk.

Well, that was not going to happen so I just let the thing drop.

My mother however probably went through more racist attacks as a child then many full bloods do today.

Name calling, be asked to leave places etc.

She used to tell us to not mention to anyone that were had native blood, just to make out lives easier. Man, the past had some dark issues.