Renewal of monthly visa for residency purposes

For those familiar with the process of renewing your 1-month visa, for 11 months, before applying for residency, I had a couple of questions--I am trying to almost visualize the process.

• When you go to renew your visa, is it a simple, no-questions-asked process? If not, what questions do they typically ask? If you could describe this process it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Do you need any additional documents beside your passport and exit air ticket?
  • Must you renew on the exact day the visa expires, or can you go in a few days early?

Many thanks for any help.

Hi, I got some info collected on extension of visas. You need to see an officer at any customs offices in your nearest village/town and apply for an extension of your visa stay. They ask for financial (bank) statements that proves that you have enough funds available to cover the costs you expect in Belize during your extended visit. I believe you may apply even at time of entry in Belize but in case you leave the country and come back you need to re-apply for an extension (even if you had paid before) but left before the extension was granted for.

@travelbeat do you have any ideas what they do or don't consider sufficient? I am curious how they compare a more lush tourists budget to someone doing the bare minimum.

@winder549went I don't know. I find out next November.

For those familiar with the process of renewing your 1-month visa, for 11 months, before applying for residency, I had a couple of questions--I am trying to almost visualize the process.
When you go to renew your visa, is it a simple, no-questions-asked process? If not, what questions do they typically ask? If you could describe this process it would be greatly appreciated.
Do you need any additional documents beside your passport and exit air ticket?
Must you renew on the exact day the visa expires, or can you go in a few days early?

Many thanks for any help.

-@mcforte

I think the renewal process varies depending on applicants circumstances.

They typically ask first about accommodations. Bring along any paperwork. Letter from landlord, utility bill in your name, land title certificate if you own property.

The chances of getting asked for financials/bank statements seem more likely if you are younger and/or don't own property. They'll want to know how you'll support yourself/your family.

If the expiration date on your  stamp falls on a weekend or a holiday, go a day or two before weekend/holiday. Other than that, the day of or a day or two ahead is fine.

There is an immigration office in every District. (2 in Stann Creek)

The extensions are required until you get residency.

Again, depending on different situations, up to three month extensions are granted.

@Brigitte B 3 months extension, only in Belmopan. 2 months max anywhere else.

@Brigitte B Many thanks to you and others, very helpful, much appreciated.

I think most of the Qs have answers.

As far as date, if you go for a stamp early, you will "lose" credit for those dates. So for efficiency, you want it to be right on time. If you go a day over, you'll be scolded but not deported or anything.

For us, one time I went they had run out of receipt paper and could not accept credit/debit cards. Of course I had waited my turn for hours in the parking lot, but they had no sign, no "hey you'll need cash only today." So by the time I got served, it was past the time I had to get to work. I came back the next morning and explained why I was a day late, it was fine. After that my employment visa finally came thru and done with that hassle.

Another time, my SO went for her stamp. Apparently almost all the agents had called out (Friday before a 3-day), so even at 8 am they were sending people away. Came back Tuesday, no problem, but they did back-date the stamp, and also let her do 3 months/$600 for the stamp.