Land for restoring nature

Where would it be suitable to work with restoring nature?

I am asking since I am interested in finding a piece of land , remote and far away from cities, where it would be possible to buy or rent as much land as possible for nature restoration purposes. We are no business persons or rich guys, but we are biologists and good in restoring eco systems. We are looking for degraded /boring/barren land in close vicinity to land with high conservation value (like a natural reserve or similar) where we can start a restoration project restoring forest, streams and coast systems. Do you have any suggestions?

is there anyone doing this? Other organisations? What could be the approximate cost per hectare of such a boring/ugly land to work with?

I am aware about the assumed related problems with poverty and cutting of trees due to that.

I know my question might seem a bit naive, but I am serious and I need to start asking somewhere. Thank you for your help!

@Waterwolf

I recently saw this in the news the other day. Some guys are investing in coral restoration. I sent a message to them because I needed to know more.

Would you be interested in coral restoration?

@Waterwolf

It's a very wothwhile goal. As with many things in Madagascar, it gets complicated. Land ownership is tricky, especially for foreigners. Sometimes land titles can be ambiguous or overlapping. This is complicated more if there are very old tribal claims and so on  At least this is what I'm told. Incorporating as a business is complex too, but it can be done. Yes, there are many NGOs working here (ONGs). Some are doing similar sorts of things. You might like to look at USAID's website for some of the ways they support projects here. For an example of other projects, you might also look at the Berenty Reserve in southern Madagascar, which pairs a sisal plantation with a ecotourism lodge. There are several other efforts around. Short answer: Yes, you can do that.

@lewmills

[link under review]

@lewmills

I think the idea of an eco lodge is very interesting and feasible.

I also tend to partly disagree,  owning property here isn't as complicated as in other countries. I've been here for a month now and I have mingled with a few foreign business owners and it doesn't seem as complicated as in other countries. With a bit of grit and push and persistency it can be done.

Are you interested in building it to resemble a business or just for conservation purposes?

@patswald wow! that sounds very interesting! yes, I would live to know more about coral restoring!😊

@Waterwolf
It's a very wothwhile goal. As with many things in Madagascar, it gets complicated. Land ownership is tricky, especially for foreigners. Sometimes land titles can be ambiguous or overlapping. This is complicated more if there are very old tribal claims and so on  At least this is what I'm told. Incorporating as a business is complex too, but it can be done. Yes, there are many NGOs working here (ONGs). Some are doing similar sorts of things. You might like to look at USAID's website for some of the ways they support projects here. For an example of other projects, you might also look at the Berenty Reserve in southern Madagascar, which pairs a sisal plantation with a ecotourism lodge. There are several other efforts around. Short answer: Yes, you can do that.

-@lewmills

thank you for this valuable information! I will look upon USAID, do you happen to know any contact person?

the idwa of sisal plantation is interesting!

thank you for your clear answer! Would you be able to guess what 500 hectar remote barren land would cost?