Culinary Opportunities in Cambodia - Your Insights Welcome

Dear Phnom Penh Expat Community,

I trust this message finds you well. My name is Stephan Oppenhagen, an accomplished professional Chef with a rich background that spans fine dining restaurants, Michelin-starred establishments, large banqueting, catering, and luxury 5* international properties across four continents and 12 countries. My expertise lies in crafting diverse and innovative culinary experiences, and I am particularly passionate about global cuisines, including vegetarian and vegan options. I stay abreast of industry trends to ensure my creations are at the forefront of culinary excellence.

Recently joining the expat community in Phnom Penh and Cambodia, I am excited about the prospect of making this vibrant city my permanent home. Cambodia holds great appeal for me beyond its culinary potential. The rich cultural tapestry, breathtaking landscapes, and warm hospitality of the people resonate deeply with my personal and professional aspirations.

I am on the lookout for new exciting opportunities in the culinary scene here. Any insights, advice, or leads you can provide would be highly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Your support means the world to me! Feel free to reach out or connect if you have any insights.

Culinary regards,

Stephan Oppenhagen

Executive Chef & Global Culinary Advisor

@stephanoppenhagen

Hi well you have come from rich or well of countries, where it would be common to pay £100 + a meal, there are 5* hotels and restaurants here in Phnom Penh, before I retired I used to go to restaurants like you talk off, here it's a developing country, where an Indian meal for two is $20, a street meal $1-80, there are 5 * hotels where you will pay developed country prices, for board

@stephanoppenhagen

Hi well you have come from rich or well of countries, where it would be common to pay £100 + a meal each, there are 5* hotels and restaurants here in Phnom Penh, before I retired I used to go to restaurants like you talk off, here it's a developing country, where an Indian meal for two is $20, a street meal $1-80, there are 5 * hotels where you will pay developed country prices, for board & meals, but many people do not have that luxury, they work hard 6/7 days a week for an avg $100, and have to pay everything out of that, so your client base will be the middle income khmers & foreigners, so if you have enough cash to last a year which needs to be for a foreigner at least $10000, and a mini 6 month visa or banks will be difficult, that will give you time to find a position in Cambodia for a chef with your talents, after work permits, company sponsored, nessasary paperwork, ect ect, all these you will need for the right visa, they have rules here forget the tea money rubbish, not guidelines follow the rules and you will find this a beautiful country to live in and friendly people, be polite respect their culture, do not shout at them, agree a cost in any tuc tuc before you get in, get street wise quick, i have been here 10 years is developing more every year, good luck buddy         -@toni345th

Dear Phnom Penh Expat Community,
I trust this message finds you well. My name is Stephan Oppenhagen, an accomplished professional Chef with a rich background that spans fine dining restaurants, Michelin-starred establishments, large banqueting, catering, and luxury 5* international properties across four continents and 12 countries. My expertise lies in crafting diverse and innovative culinary experiences, and I am particularly passionate about global cuisines, including vegetarian and vegan options. I stay abreast of industry trends to ensure my creations are at the forefront of culinary excellence.

Recently joining the expat community in Phnom Penh and Cambodia, I am excited about the prospect of making this vibrant city my permanent home. Cambodia holds great appeal for me beyond its culinary potential. The rich cultural tapestry, breathtaking landscapes, and warm hospitality of the people resonate deeply with my personal and professional aspirations.

I am on the lookout for new exciting opportunities in the culinary scene here. Any insights, advice, or leads you can provide would be highly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Your support means the world to me! Feel free to reach out or connect if you have any insights.

Culinary regards,
Stephan Oppenhagen
Executive Chef & Global Culinary Advisor

-@stephanoppenhagen

Hi Stephan -

Your introduction is very impressive and well written. However, I don't think you'll receive very many leads or recommendations on this forum. Your best bet would probably be checking some job ads/posting your CV on sites such as khmer24.com, topjobcambodia.com, cambojob.com, linkedin.com, etc. and also contacting potential employers directly to enquire about any openings and opportunities.

There is also a Jobs section here on expat.com:

https://www.expat.com/en/jobs/asia/cambodia/

Your other option is to open your own restaurant. Here in Kampot, many of the most popular restaurants seem to be owned and operated by expats. I imagine there are a number of challenges to this approach, but it certainly seems possible as there are a number of establishments that seem to be thriving and successful.

Best of luck!