Cost of living + finding rentals

👋

I wanted to get some idea of cost of living in 🇩🇪 v 🇬🇧.  I am talking about outside of major city like Stuttgart not in it! Def not in major city!

Current costs PER MONTH here in 🇬🇧, we are NOT in a big city!

Rent £800/€938 (2 bedroom)

Council tax £147/€172 (Inc water)

Gas & elect varies between £70/€82 - £140/€164 (winter)

broadband £33/€38

mobile (for 2 person) £41/€48

food/fuel - so variable not even putting a number on it. 

health insurance - we don't have here in 🇬🇧, I know it's a must have for 🇩🇪. 

gym £60/€70 for 2 people

We do have a car here but won't in 🇩🇪

Are there any other ongoing costs in 🇩🇪 that I need to consider?

Also how do you get a rental without a job lined up?  Obviously have savings & some investment income that can demonstrate along with reference.  How do you find private rentals other than local FB groups is there a specific site for private rentals?

🙏

@AussieRanga It depends a lot of the Region and German city are you moving to. For example Bavarian region is very expensive and the cost of living is not much different from London. It is not so common to find real estate agencies speaking in English and I had few experiences of Agencies putting the phone down after saying that I do no speak German.

There are some accommodation managed by Agencies more friendly with expat and short term contracts.

They often require a German account, but it is not easy to get one without a German address.

Compared to UK the internet network is quite slow in some areas and not very modern.

Do not expect a very modern country. I lived in London for a while and the main difference is the bureaucracy. There is lot of paper work in Germany, on line processes are not very efficient and lot of contracts still requires a wet link signature and docs to be sent via post.

@AussieRanga Monthly costs of living differ widely with expectations, spending habits and lifestyle. Try numbeo.com to get an idea of individual price levels!

Rental apartments are in short supply (and expensive) in most cities. Prices start to drop only outside of public trasport range - which can mean an hour by car away.

Most landlords are conservative and risk-avoiding, so a German candidate with fixed income will almost always win over a foreigner without. To find something, you need to increase your budget (above the market rate), plan on sufficient time for housing search (minimum three months, during which you stay in a temporary place like hotel or B&B) and may offer to pay the rent for several months or a year in advance.

Good luck!