What budget do I need to live in Mauritius ?

Hi all!

I'm trying figure out what budget do I need to live in Mauritius.

I'm planning to move there soon, under premium visa.

Here are the important points:

• I wanna live somewhere on a beach suitable for swimming (and snorkeling if possible) or nearby (walking distance)
  • I can't really cook, so I would have to rely on restaurants (lunch and dinner). So these should be also in walking distance.
  • As for accommodation, I would probably rent an 1 or 2 bedroom house with private or shared pool.
  • I don't drive. Is public transportation any good? If not, are taxis available and affordable? What transportation costs should I expect?

So based on the criteria outlined above, about how much does this cost? A range in EUR or USD would be helpful.

Also, which neighborhood meets my criteria? What are the best ones to live in?

Thanks in advance!

@tomgmu

Hello,

Till members guide you, feel free to read the following thread : Cost of living in Mauritius in 2024

All the best

Bhavna

@tomgmu

There are plenty of beaches all over. Probably best if you take a short term private rental & check out all the beaches & areas before deciding on a long term rental. Have a look at google maps to get an idea of beaches & shops.

In terms of rental price, a private rental will probably be cheaper regardless of area.

Public transport: there are buses & what we call taxi buses. Taxi buses charge same price & make same stops as buses. Bus is about 50 r per trip. Taxi prices are negotiable. Not sure how it works where you are but you can't just order a cab by phone. One you find a taxi driver you like maybe just use him as your private taxi. You can then just book him for any trips to take you there & home or drive you around. Again this is negotiable & variable - 500 r to 2000 r depending where you are going & how many stops & time of day.

I would budget for at least 50,000 r per month

In terms of neighbor hood, you are looking at somewhere on the coast. Best one to live in will be the best one for YOU to live. Maybe look at some videos on Youtube to get a visual.