Moving to Romania from England as a physics graduate

Hi there,

I'm currently a 24 year old student from the UK; I'm going to graduate their master's in physics with philosophy next year. After having done some travelling around the world while living in England my whole life, I have come to the firm conclusion that I do not want to stay here. I would like to settle somewhere else.

I recently visited Romania and spent a couple days travelling around I was left strongly with the impression that it would be a great place to try out.

I wanted to ask:

1. What are job opportunities there like?
  2. If I wanted to work at a university, what could I expect in terms of pay?
  3. Do they do English speaking courses or would I have to be fluent in Romanian?
  4. Aside from academia, is there research positions that would value someone who did well at an English university?

I'm really ignorant on everything to do with this subject, so I was hoping someone here might be knowledgable and able to inform me.

Thank you!

@joeydavidson22

Hi

I'm an Irish national living in Romania. I am retired so don't work. However, what I do know is that it is difficult to get a well paid job here. To teach in a university you need to have, or be working towards a PhD. Many well educated Romanians speak excellent English and there are some degree course taught in English. It's a beautiful country and I would recommend the Transilvanian city of Brașov

@joeydavidson22

In addition to my last post, I can totally understand why you would want to leave the UK. It has gone to the dogs, and Brexit finally did it for me! You can contact me at **** if you want to know more.

Moderated by Bhavna 2 months ago
Reason : Emails should be shared through private message. Click on the member's photo > send a message
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I moved to Romania 2 years ago after getting fed up with how crap the UK has become..

I visited back then and fell in love with the place (Cluj).

The only thing about visiting here vs living here is the bureaucracy gets to me sometimes.

I run my own business (Toy manufacturing) and the bureaucracy when it comes to running a business here is a real pain in the ass compared to the UK.

I agree that the beaurocacy is a pain. A lot you can do online in the UK involves visiting several offices here- three for buying and registering a car.  You need a few friendly locals to help. However, it is well worth the effort!