Vehicle import

Morning all. After a fruitless search I've turned to the oracle.

As I understand it, I can bring a vehicle when I move to Bulgaria.  The question is can my wife also bring her own vehicle?  We both have motorcycles and we'd like to try and bring them.  Any help or information appreciated.  Cheers James.

Yes you can. I brought 2 cars with me and just transferred them over no problem.

I dont remember the exact procedure, but I believe that you are OK so long as you have owned the vehicles for more than 6 months.

@frazer2022 many thanks for the reply.  I wasn't looking forward to telling the wife she can't take her bike because I'm taking mine. 

@jasmith837

The procedure mentioned by @frazer2022 is a TOR, or Transfer of Residence. This allows you to bring all personal effects, including multiple vehicles, free of VAT and import duties. HOWEVER... you have to be able to prove ownership for more than 6 months AND provide evidence of your previous and new residence status (e.g. in UK and Bulgaria). I suspect this latter requirement means you should already have your Bulgarian residence permit, rather than being a tourist.

https://customs.bg/wps/portal/agency-en/home/info-citizens/

If you bring a big truck full of stuff including two motorbikes, this will probably need a bit of a song and dance at the border. However, I don't think they care too much if you simply come over in one vehicle (i.e. both in your car, or both riding your bikes). My experience of this is that they just let me in, no problem at all. I then left the vehicle at our house, and sorted out the formal import and re-registration later (for the 2nd car, much later, maybe 2 years... which triggered an administrative fine for not doing it within x months of bringing it in... maybe 50 leva!).

@gwynj thank you for the reply.  We would probably ride the bikes over.  I've done the trip to Greece via Italy before.  We'll just treat it as a good road trip and then fly back to get the other stuff and the dogs. 

We're over next month, hopefully find the area or even the house we like.

Should be a good logistics exercise moving over.

Hi, ref the above...I have brought my bike into Bulgaria and today I went to KAT to register it in Bulgaria. They are telling me I need to import the vehicle and pay import tax, I can't find any info on line....any ideas what I need to do next?

@stevejbhome

Welcome to the expat.com forum!

I guess you are already a Bulgarian resident, as KAT didn't complain on that issue? If not, you will register in a Bulgarian company instead.

Non-EU vehicles have to pay VAT and import duty (approx 20% and 10%).

If you have abundant paperwork about your move (and you've owned the bike more than 6 months) you might be able to claim a ToR (Transfer of Residence) which is exempt.

I think KAT can handle everything, but I recommend you have an interpreter/helper with you.

@gwynj

Thanks for the reply, I have lived in Bulgaria for about ten years and have registered two other vehicles but not from England... I have owned the bike for about 20yrs, and no longer have receipt, what will I have to pay 20% of....KAT sent me to the customs office but they were less than helpful, would I apply my own value on some sort of form....no one seems to know....1f600.svg1f600.svg

@stevejbhome

Might be worth looking at states migration and the customs service website, I looked into this a couple of years ago and seen to remember something about EU law allowing import of personal belongings for your personal use including vehicles without import duty from outside the EU.

It's a different form from the customs service but they won't tell you about it they just default to charging import duty.

Google import of. Personal belongings from outside the EU.

@neevemik

Thanks, I'll take a look...

@stevejbhome

You've definitely moved to Bulgaria, and you've definitely owned it for more than 6 months. So take a look at the ToR to see if you can go this route (for it to be exempt).

https://customs.bg/wps/portal/agency-en/home/info-citizens/Release%20for%20free%20circulation%20of%20personal%20property%20belonging%20to%20natural%20persons%20transferring%20their%20normal%20place%20of%20residence%20from%20a%20third%20country%20to%20the%20community

Otherwise, I think it's pretty clear that the duty/VAT due is based on the "value". Agreed, there might be some debate about the current value, but it's a fairly common sense approach.

KAT/customs like official looking paperwork, so I imagine it wouldn't be hard to manufacture an old bill of sale with some kind of stamp. Then crumple it up and spill coffee on it to convey the appropriate aging. :-)

You might have a very fancy moto, but most 20-year-old bikes are pretty worthless... I know my 2007 Vstrom is! 32% of FA is not much. :-) So perhaps you could visit a notary and make a sworn declaration that you have owned bike x (with all bike details, reg, VIN, year, etc) since 2004, when you purchased it for y quid. You estimate that the current value, based on age, mileage, and condition is z quid. Cue lots of notary stamps. Sworn declarations are very cheap, convey the necessary info, and look very serious/official. Plus plenty of scope to fudge the numbers in your favour.

I don't have direct experience of this, but it seems like a plausible option. And if it's pretty minor money then it might be easier to do this rather than chase a ToR.

I think I might even hedge my bets, and include my basis for claiming a ToR in the declaration, and state that I believe the import should be exempt of VAT and duty. And then leave it up to them.

Thanks, lots of good sensible comments...

Greetings all,

New member here.  I have had permanent residency here in BG for about 9 years. 

I have been reading this thread with interest.  I was planning to replace my old faithful Nissan X Trail which died, with a used GB registered Honda CR V which I am thinking of buying in the UK and driving back here to BG and then registering for my own use.   

If I understand correctly this thread, I would be hit for 20% VAT and 10% import tax if I haven't owned it for 6 months and covered 6000Kms.

Is this correct folks?

Best regards, Murdjo.

Thanks in advance.

@Murdjo correct

@Murdjo But you do not need to register it as soon as you hit BG soil.

If you can register it in your name on UK plates then just wait till you reach the criteria and do the BG registration then

@Murdjo

If you're already a PR in Bulgaria, I doubt you can prove you are doing a ToR!