Changing Internet provider

About three years ago, when my wife first moved to Germany, got a contract with Vodafone for internet . Recently she found out Vodafone was changing her 75 euro per month, 50 euro for Internet and 25 euro for tv- although she never had a tv.

I don't blame Vodafone, if we don't speak the language and sign a contract, it is our responsibility.

Anyway, we cancelled the TV and from last month we are paying 50 euro per month for 100 Mbps internet.

Vodafone recently sent us a letter asking us to sign a new contract for 40 euro per month , saving us 10 euro per month (and tieing us for two more years with Vodafone -Our contract ended a year ago, we can cancel anytime with a 30 day notice now).

We went to the local Vodafone shop to inquire about the letter and were told that it would be a new contract, so first we need to cancel the old contract and then it would take about 3 weeks to get the new contract. That means three week without internet(if we are lucky, may take more)

I understand that this is very normal in Germany. My wife said when she got the first contract three years ago (I was not here), it took nearly two months and endless emails to get the connection running.

I can see there are many attractive cheaper Internet plan in check24 or verivox.

My question is: is it possible that we can give Vodafone one month notice and then the same day order a new connection from check24/verivox (I am thinking about 1&1, but Vodafone or T is also okay for me) the same day, so that even if the new ISP/connection needs 3-4 week time, before my old contract expires, my new contact will be ready? Or will it create more problems as at the same time two ISPs will try to manage one single line?

Or is there a better way to solve the problem?

We both do not speak German language yet (I recently moved in here, got enrolled for A1, don't have the courage to ask my wife why she still doesn't speak German yet).

I guess (from the speed and cost) we have DSL connection, not cable, but not sure. (TV line, that we never had, and for which we paid over 900 euro in three years, was over internet, through a box, not through cable as we were told. We never had a TV box, but Vodafone demands the box back, or we have to pay a fine of 60 euro, and we are ready to pay it).

There are so many ISPs, ways to connect (and also regional differences), that it is difficult to advice from afar and without knowing your situation in detail.

But as you can certainly imagine, weeks without Internet are not acceptable to anyone. I am sure you can find a way, by containg the providers hotline or shops frequently, to switch without (orwith minimal) downtime.

However, comparison portals show that ISPs generally have very bad customer service ratings (1&1 is slightly better than Vodafone and Telekom, regional ones vary). So this might require lots of stamina - and of course German language skills (get help by a native speaker friend!).

But you cannot blame anyone for signing a contract without reading and understanding it (which then includes TV, which you didn't want). You must learn German to make life easier here!

Wow, sounds like mass confusion. I am assuming you are referring to Vodafone internet access rather than data transfer for a cell phone - also provided by Vodafone. And yes they often bundle TV with internet. It got more expensive for me a couple of years ago as well (also by Vodafone) because they said they were discontinuing the digital TV service previously offered through my DSL connection. I switched to fiber-cable which they sold as being more reliable and faster etc. and now with TV service. I see no difference to be honest but pay more but I am not a gamer so don't have high volume streaming needs.

But there should be NO interruption in service if they make a new contract – unless possibly changing to another company. And even then this is not normal.  This would obviously be unacceptable service. But I think you have likely misunderstood your situation. The contracts standardly run for 2 years and then get renewed, unless one cancels or changes something. One has maybe a 30 day window of opportunity to change tariffs or conditions but then one is locked in for another 2 years! That you can just cancel anytime now with 30 days' notice is (unfortunately) simply not done by any providers in Germany.

40 Euros for a flatrate is not super cheap. But another question is if you have a landline telephone included since this is also often bundled together.

Vodafon is really pushing fiber-cable where it is available. One can have 1000 Mbits/s flatrate and flatrate landline telephone for 19.99 Euro/month – the trick is that this is just for the first 10 months and then the price goes to 69.99 Euro/month. But it cost less if one have a reduced speed like 10 Euros cheaper if one has only 500 Mbits or 15 Euros less to have only 250 Mbits.

If one then adds TV then it is also around 25 Euros/month basic price but one can add additional packages of channels making it cost more.

In the end, it really matters exactly what one is getting;  DSL or fiber-cable, which speed, also a landline connection and or TV….

The contracts standardly run for 2 years and then get renewed, unless one cancels or changes something. One has maybe a 30 day window of opportunity to change tariffs or conditions but then one is locked in for another 2 years! That you can just cancel anytime now with 30 days' notice is (unfortunately) simply not done by any providers in Germany.

All new contracts (started in March 2022 or later) must, by law, after the initial contract period (typically 1 or 2 years) revert to termination possible every month with a month notice.

Older contracts, started before March 2022, had other conditions (e.g. a new 2-years-period without termination possibility starts automatically when the previous one expires, if you forget the short termination window inbetween). Unforunately they continue being valid with the oldconditions.

The solution should be, for everyone who has an old contract: Terminate it (when the 2-years are over - do not forget this time!) and start a new contract.

Obviously, the ISP above (which probably values profit over customer satisfaction) tries to prevent this with the prospect of weeks-long disruptions when changing contract!

Again a solution: Change to a different provider!