Real estate agent

Hello all

I am new to this forum.  I have read previous posts with interest because we are currently looking for a property in central Italy.  I am hoping to find some guidance and benefit from the experience of people who have navigated through the buying process successfully. Some  of these posts are quite old however so I'm not sure whether this is the place to be to ask a question!

I have done quite a lot of research because this is something that we have been planning for some time, and  we're very keen to start the ball rolling. We have had conflicting information regarding real estate agents and I have read some scary posts regarding their services and charges so can anybody give me some clarification please.

We have been advised to engage an accredited buyers agent - whose obligation is to us in this process from start to finish, and someone who can facilitate every requirement.  My question therefore  is - how do we find one?  I seem to be going around in circles!

Thank you

Nia

In my experience the purchase or leasing process is relatively benign but unfortunately the horror stories tend to be the ones that are heard. I  think a great deal of those horror stories are due to the differences in process between a real-estate transactions in the USA v Italy and just not knowing what to expect.  Case in point i bought a house in california paid the "property tax" only to find out the following year it was an annual tax not a sales tax! in retrospect i am sure it was mentioned but...

In answer to your question about a buyers agent, so long as both parties are clear on what they are representing then definately a good idea, however there is one caveat,  in the smaller Italian towns where realtors have dealt with each other for years, there may be some lack of objectivity, if you can find an agent outside the bubble, all the better. I have always found the buying costs in Italy to be clear and unambiguous. As ever, do not underestimate the language barrier and dont be affraid to retain a professional business language translator.They are not expensive and will ensure no linguistic surprises. Buying in Italy is not particularly fraught so don't be dissuaded. Depending on where you are planning to buy most people will have a recommendation .

Thank you for responding to quickly,  that's very useful.

Regards

Mia, where are you planning to buy?

Happy to be in Tuscany, Umbria or maybe even Marche,  we're very flexible - advantages and disadvantages to all three. 

Big area I know but it will depend on the property.  We have a trip planned so hoping to have a short list compiled and viewings planned by then.🤞

Sounds great  when the time comes i have a superb company that will take care of you in the buyers department, and depending where  you end up, renovations if needed. i have no affiliation but have worked with them since 2019

Good to know,  thank you.

An accredited agent is a legal agent - and they will act independently, legally and in the interests of the buyer and seller - and are paid by both.   There are lots of buyers agents, consulente, property finders, who act on your behalf and completely illegally.  Your agent, whoever it is, (Id say in your region look for a FIAIP agent who is guaranteed to be legal),  should be named in the act of sale as otherwise you have absolutely no legal protection.  A legally operating and qualified agent has legal responsibility for everything he says and does, (to the point of having to buy the property back),  but make sure you get everything in writing - whatsapp is fine.

You will pay usually between 3 and 4% of the price, sometimes with IVA on top - it depends on how the agent is taxed.  The foreign franchises tend to try it on the most for commission - Engels and Volkers, Coldwell Banker, Sothebys etc  and a small local agency will charge the least.  It doesnt mean you get what you pay for. 

Hi,

We understand your confusion regarding agents as like any profession there are some who are just out to take you for what they can get. It is quite common for the agent to get commission from bot seller and buyer, even when accredited but we are selling our home and found an agent, FIAIP approved, who will only charge the seller, the buyer has enough to pay  he says ''as they are responsible for paying the notary and land registration fees and that is enough''. He is based in Folignio (Umbria) but covers most of central Italy. He has also a translator available (she speaks German, Spanish, Italian and English) and many contacts.

We moved here from a place near Tenby, Pembrokeshire and have been very happy, the locals are kind, charming, helpful and there is always something to do, see or experience, we love it in Umbria, also known as Italy's secret green heart. We're downsizing after running a B&B  and retired, and frankly wouldn't return to the UK in the future.

If you want our agents details we're happy to pass them on Marco is a real gentleman and honest:)

Ciao Marguerite

Hello Marguerite, thank you, yes please.

Kindest regards

Nia

Here are his details:

Moderated by Bhavna 2 weeks ago
Reason : Please share contact details in private by clicking on the member's photo
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you, much appreciated

Nia