I think I was scam

I do not know if this is the forum for this and if it's not please let me know.

i have been trying to find an apartment as per the requirement for a D7 visa.

i have tried contacting a couple real estate companies but never got a call back.

i visited a couple a site on face book advertising long term rentals , a user reach out to me and recommend her landlord.

To make a long story short they ask for 2 months rent plus 700 euro security .

A lease was sign money send . Then they came back and said a Mistake was made saying it's 3 months rent with the security deposit plus payment for the month I will be moving in.

I am so frustrated, I have ask for a refund and they keep asking me to send the additional funds.

i think I was scam. it's not going anywhere, right now it's dead silence on the other end.

i would let this turn me off Portugal , I guess I have to fly there to find a place my self.

this is just to let everyone to be careful.

Nowadays, long-term rentals are asking for several months' rent in advance. What they're asking for is nothing new and may not be a scam. However, make sure you're dealing with serious people.

@JohnnyPT

well, if they made a “mistake” in their requirement cant that be taken as a breach of contract ?

the contracts were signed on the basis of the information initially given and then the money was sent 

why change the info at this point? surely the writer should be entitled to her money back

Thanks johnnypt. i get it regarding deposit but i paid what the con stated but coming back asking for 2 more months rent is a red flag to me. if it was stated initially it would be different.

thanks for responding.

I would never send any money before viewing any property. But it is common practice across Europe to ask for 3 months rent as JohnnyPT has said so dont be put off with Portugal.

@Roseann28

Hi Roseann. ... write to icanhelp.pt       They are a team of consultants. VERY HELPFUL

Hi,

If you and they have signed a lease then all the conditions for both parties should have already been agreed and be in writing.   If the landlord is a company/business then their company details should be on the lease.  You could send them a short list of your worries and ask for answers include a time frame adding- if there is no satisfactory reply you will access to their "complaints book" (Livro de Reclamações)    which is an online "book"  - if you internet search this there's information.  Put in a formal complaint in their complaints book which should then be investigated by the appropriate organisation.

@lidiaalvesconsultant

thanks

@Strontium

thanks, i will look into this

@Roseann28

Is the lease legal? Do you know how to read a Portuguese lease and what should be written? Do you have the landlord NIF?

Was the lease at least reviewed by a Portuguese immigration consultant or lawyer?

These scamms happen very frequentely, specially on Facebook. Did you make a proper investigation on the person offering you the lease?

@Roseann2803 Sorry to hear of your difficulties, that sounds stressful indeed. As a guide to hear what may be normal, we personally rent property in Estremoz (near Evora) with relocation support and we ask for 2 months guarantee as a security deposit, and then the first month paid in advance of the start date of the tenancy agreement. Nia above mentions the Portuguese lease text which is a very good point if a Portuguese lawyer can check it for you (we provide a bilingual contract which helps clear up any questions).

I am from the States (my husband is from the UK) and know it is common in the USA or parts of the USA, to ask for a first and last month's rent, which is a different thing - with a tenant not needing to pay their last month, because they paid at the beginning. In the UK however (where we also rent property), the standard in our experience is a full deposit of 5 weeks, plus first month rent, paid at the signing. So every country is different and the landlord should always be clear, especially with international tenants.

We understand it is more and more common for landlords to charge more than the first month up front to international tenants as there are fewer standards checks we can do, but it should be clear at the outset. The lease contract should have it listed what initial payments are required, and if not then a vague contract isn't a great start unfortunately.

Btu still, don't let it turn you off Portugal! There are plenty of times in the UK, USA, Spain, anywhere in the world where things can go awry with individual landlords, or lawyers, or contractors, or anyone else. Don't let one individual represent the country :-)

We do hope you can find a way to force contact and see how you can find paths forward which follow the detail of the contract, weather finding a way out from that particular property, or any other solution. A disappointing start for you but we do hope you find your way to settle in Portugal it's a beautiful friendly country.

If we can be of any help, feel free to DM

- Elizabeth

@Roseann28 Overall I think that Portugal is easy compared to other countries, where a landlord would require credit records, proof of income, references and advance payments. In Portugal you just need to make some advance payment. In Dubai - for example - you would have to pay the annual rent in advance. I guess you should take it easy.

Thank you guys so much, i do appreciate all the com and advice . i will take everything in consideration and will take a break before i start looking again.

thanks