Using Maya

My wife and I are from California, we spend 5 to 6 months every year in the Philippines. We are currently in Southern Leyte where we have a small home. As we travel we are running into places that do not accept ATM/DEBIT/ VISA/MASTERCARD. They only accept pesos or payment through cash apps such as Maya. Looking into Maya cash app find that it is compared to PayPal. Does anyone use Maya? Do you have it linked to you US Bank account like PayPal? Any and all experiences/recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I use Maya quite often but it is not linked to any of my bank accounts. I usually fund it with Western Union which surprisingly usually has the best exchange rate. I sometimes use Remitly also. I do have it linked to my Lazada Wallet and that works well.

My only problem, so far, was my own making. I left the Philippines and did not think to change the phone number. There is an online process for changing the phone number if you no longer have the registered phone, but it did not work or wasn't accepted the first couple times I tried. It did finally go through and was changed to my wife's phone number. She was then able to log in and load her phone and the internet SIM with the money that was already in the account.

I've tried several and I prefer Maya. I had GCash for a while but lost a $100 with that one. GCash is not the most secure cash app and their support sucks.