Visa Extension

Just did some business with a Brazilian "Cartorio" place in Seattle and was told that the visa regulations for Brazil have extended to April of 2025!! Only needing passport to enter.

Yippee!!! Just in time for our move. One less regulation to worry about.

@56tbourne That's interesting! i just came back from the Brazilian Consulate in Washington, D.C. with the Brazilian Vitem XI Family Reunion Visa. It is also good until April 2025. Wonder if it is a coincidence.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

Confusion about the tourist visa requirement extension until April 2025 maybe?

05/12/24    @56tbourne That's interesting! i just came back from the Brazilian Consulate in Washington, D.C. with the Brazilian Vitem XI Family Reunion Visa. It is also good until April 2025. Wonder if it is a coincidence.
Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg-@roddiesho

Yes, it's a coincidence.  VITEM XI is good for a year -- but that doesn't mean that the holder has a year to request his/her CRNM from the Federal Police.

@abthree the plot gets thicker. My wife came back to Brazil from visiting the USA today. Apparently, it is 90 days from April 4th. that my daughter has to visit the Federal Police, even though I have the Vitem XI stamp and supposedly, good for one year. As you mentioned though. better sooner than later, and I don't understand, but we have come too far. So, to re-cap ...to finish my Permanent Residency Visa, my daughter who took over from my wife in the connection to a Brazilian part needs to make the journey very soon.

Roddie in Retirement. 1f575.svg

05/19/24    @abthree the plot gets thicker. My wife came back to Brazil from visiting the USA today. Apparently, it is 90 days from April 4th. that my daughter has to visit the Federal Police, even though I have the Vitem XI stamp and supposedly, good for one year. As you mentioned though. better sooner than later, and I don't understand, but we have come too far. So, to re-cap ...to finish my Permanent Residency Visa, my daughter who took over from my wife in the connection to a Brazilian part needs to make the journey very soon.
Roddie in Retirement. 1f575.svg-@roddiesho

I couldn't agree more.  You've all been through so much for so long that this is the all-hands-on-deck moment, whatever else is going on.  Any employer should understand the words "Family Emergency". If you're asked to leave Brazil this time, getting back is going to be very, very hard.  Best of luck.

@abthree So there has been, hopefully, a temporary pause in the operation. My daughter is waiting until her Brazilian Passport renews (she is doing it now) under the assumption that she cannot get into Brazil without it. I believe she can get into Brazil with her USA Passport.

The other part of the question...Will she need a valid Brazilian Passport when she meets with the Federal Police?

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

02/22/24    @abthree So there has been, hopefully, a temporary pause in the operation. My daughter is waiting until her Brazilian Passport renews (she is doing it now) under the assumption that she cannot get into Brazil without it. I believe she can get into Brazil with her USA Passport.The other part of the question...Will she need a valid Brazilian Passport when she meets with the Federal Police?Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg-@roddiesho

It's smart for her to wait for her Brazilian passport.  She may be able to enter Brazil on her US passport, but it's technically illegal (as it is in the other direction:  she's supposed to enter the US on her US passport, too), and there's no reason to risk it.  There's also no reason for the PF in the Estrangeiros office to cross-check her entry with the PF in Imigração, but there's no reason not to, either.  Better safe than sorry. 

The PF in the Estrangeiros office probably aren't going to ask to see her passport.  Keep in mind, though, that the whole concept here is that she, as a Brazilian citizen, is bringing her father in to live with her in Brazil.  Any suggestion that she doesn't live in Brazil, and doesn't plan to live in Brazil, and things could start getting complicated.  And I don't think that you need any additional complications.  Best of luck!