What should I bring with me to VN?

So I'll be moving to Da Nang in mid to late June and want to get suggestions on what I should bring with me because I won't be able to get them in Da Nang or difficult to find. Here's a short list of what I am bringing other than clothing. Feel free to fill in the gaps that I have or let me know to not bring something since it'll be easy to get in Da Nang.

Thanks!

Multi vitamins

Glucosamine

Other vitamins

Sun block

Ant bait

Pad locks

Wifi camera

My shanpoo and body wash brand

Snacks

Motorcycle helmet (having second thoughts since it's a little large)

Summer motorcycle jacket

Airtags

Earplugs

Power converters

Roku & Apple TV

Backup cell phone

Backup laptop

External HDs

Nice sheets

Nice towels

Also

compression bags

activated charoal

I would bring as little as possible.  Only medications would I take with me :).

So I'll be moving to Da Nang in mid to late June and want to get suggestions on what I should bring with me because I won't be able to get them in Da Nang or difficult to find. Here's a short list of what I am bringing other than clothing. Feel free to fill in the gaps that I have or let me know to not bring something since it'll be easy to get in Da Nang.Thanks!   -@qnbui

My observations.

Multi vitamins (available here)

Glucosamine (available here)

Other vitamins (available here)

Sun block (available here, but watch out for the "with whitener" label)

Ant bait (available here, in spades!)

Pad locks (available here, and how!!)

Wifi camera (available here, but costly)

My shampoo and body wash brand (probably available here)

Snacks (huh? for the trip's travel time? there's all manner of very healthy snacks here)

Motorcycle helmet (having second thoughts since it's a little large) (available here)

Summer motorcycle jacket (bring it)

Airtags (sure, why not)

Earplugs (available here, but bring along as they're small)

Power converters (bring them. too many cheap/faulty/dangerous ones here)

Roku & Apple TV (bring them very expensive here)

Backup cell phone (available here, used. very cheap)

Backup laptop (bring it laptops are expensive here)

External HDs (available here)

Nice sheets (bring them)

Nice towels (bring them)

Compression bags (bring them. keeps critters and mould away)

Activated charcoal (not sure why. Is it a necessity?)

A couple of things I think you might want to add to your list. Though each of these will be available here, sourcing what you want at the quality you want will be a real issue (it was for me, anyway).

Two or three quality umbrellas

Two pairs (at least) of good quality leather walking shoes

A good, well fitting rain suit (coat and pants for riding. get the pants a little long for when sitting on your bike)

Waterproof boots, above the ankle, for riding motorbike in the rain

Action camera (e.g. GoPro). You'll be taking lots of action videos/pics!

Tripod, waterproof casing for the camera, chest/head mounts.

Sports equipment (fins/mask/snorkel, rackets, sneakers etc.)

There's more I'll think of later, no doubt. I'm sure others will be able to add to these.

@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks Aidan! I figured activated charcoal for the stomach bugs from the food or water. Not planning on doing a lot of videos but I have my cell if I feel the urge to record something.

@Aidan in HCMC
Thanks Aidan! I figured activated charcoal for the stomach bugs from the food or water.

Believe me when I say that the pharmacies are very well versed in treating intestinal parasites. There was some posts in the Zoophobic thread (scroll down to post #30) about that. We use, twice yearly, Fugacar. Everything's been tickety-boo here so far (thanks be to jazzus!)

Not planning on doing a lot of videos but I have my cell if I feel the urge to record something.
    -@qnbui

Fair enough, but don't blame me when you drop your phone whilst zip-lining over a valley forge/river system! :D

In all seriousness though, an action camera would make for some excellent travel videos when mounted to your bike.

@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks for the advice! I have 2 GoPro 4 and only used it once back in 2017. About to donate them to Goodwill soon. And unfortunately everything on this list I've already purchased or have.

@Aidan in HCMC
Thanks Aidan! I figured activated charcoal for the stomach bugs from the food or water.

-@qnbui

In my somewhat limited experience (one time), activated charcoal is available at pharmacies. Of course, you might bring a couple packs as it not heavy or large, and then you have it on hand if a problem occurs.

Anywayz, in general I would advise "less is more".

@Aidan in HCMC
Thanks for the advice! I have 2 GoPro 4 and only used it once back in 2017. About to donate them to Goodwill soon. And unfortunately everything on this list I've already purchased or have.
        -@qnbui

If you decide to bring them with you, I'd buy them! Seriously.

@qnbui

Wow, oh wow.

Might want to consider buying a Swiss Army KNIFE (and of course putting it in your checked luggage) while you still can.

Definitely shoes, for all of walking, gym, smart casual snd more formal  There's nothing in vn that will fit you  Also bring sandals  Ponchos better than umbrellas - streets too crowded and footpaths too narrow for umbrellas, plus   you want both hands free.

For tummy upsets take Imodium with you. For annoying itches - bites, etc. - carry a tube of 1% cortisone, available over the counter in Oz 

For tummy upsets take Imodium with you. For annoying itches - bites, etc. - carry a tube of 1% cortisone, available over the counter in Oz 
        -@linturnbul

Hi there, linturnbul. Long-time member, first posts! Thank you.

Just an observation, but I've found Imodium and cortisone to be readily available at both small and large pharmacies.

Mosquito repellent or is that only necessary if I'm living in the countryside?

Mosquito repellent or is that only necessary if I'm living in the countryside?

-@qnbui

Good question, Q.

My #1 recommendation is to rent a place with screens and/or windows you can close before dusk (rare here) or negotiate the installation of screens or sheer draperies before signing a contract.

Landlords may feign ignorance, but there are plenty of companies offering those solutions for a very reasonable price if the landlord or a Vietnamese friend does the negotiating for purchase and installation.

I know of at least one case where the price was really jacked up to install screens for me when I first returned to Đà Nẵng in 2018. I've subsequently learned that regular prices are much cheaper.

We had a nice place near An Bàng beach in Hội An that had high quality retractable screens on all the windows. We thought about installing those at our last house in Cẩm Thanh, Hội An, but eventually came up with the better & cheaper alternative of installing sheer drapes to compliment the blackout drapes previously installed. That allowed us to open all windows & doors in the morning & evening with only a rare mosquito or fly slipping past. Very nice to see the gentle breeze wafting through the sheers.

We also had our Cẩm Thanh property sprayed by a French expat who does a very effective job at an affordable price. Rural areas with standing water are definitely the worst for mosquitoes. Also the city and provincial governments regularly spray during high risk season.

There are plenty of good options for OTC insect repellents here, including some natural essential oil formulas sold by Buddhist monks.

However, for someone such as myself (very susceptible to bites) I've survived mostly by having lightweight linen long pants & sometimes long sleeve shirts to wear around dusk and dawn.

My legs are most vulnerable. The worst bites I get are at certain beaches from the sand flies/fleas. Not every beach. On Phú Quốc island, I had zero problems in the mornings & evenings at Kem Beach, but at nearby Bãi Tắm Sao (maybe 1 or 2 km away as the crow flies) the sand flies chased us away during the daytime. My theory is that beaches frequented by foreigners get more frequent spraying.

In our semi-suburban neighborhood here in Đà Nẵng, we were having a horrible time with mosquitoes & flies until we figured out that the easement space between our building and the ones behind us was routinely collecting standing water and being a continual breeding ground.

We finally broke down and bought a can of flying bug insecticide and one application totally cleared up the problem.

Definitely shoes, for all of walking, gym, smart casual snd more formal  There's nothing in vn that will fit you  Also bring sandals  Ponchos better than umbrellas - streets too crowded and footpaths too narrow for umbrellas, plus   you want both hands free.

-@linturnbul

You can actually get some great shoes made cheaply in Hội An with two cautions: They don't have any sort of arch supports (totally flat inside the shoe) so you should bring along custom inserts, even over the counter inserts such as these (my recommendation):

71R63Tzpd5L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

...or the BEST I've found through the Dr Comfort company (website & Amazon)

gel-inserts-inserts-cloud-contour-3-4.jpg

When you go to have the shoes made, place the inserts on the sizing paper, step on them and they will measure your feet to allow for the extra space needed in the shoes.

Sometimes it's possible to purchase inserts from a Vietnam vendor through Lazada et al, but when I tried about 2 years ago everyone was out of stock.

Nice sheets
Nice towels
    -@qnbui

I recommend waiting until you get here to find out the size of the mattress on the bed in the place that you rent, and then it's very easy to get the hotel quality white linen fitted sheet and duvet cover that are so ubiquitous here.

High quality towels are definitely available here. You just have to know where to look for them, as most regular Vietnamese stores here have really thin and very small towels available.

I get the big bath sheets at MegaMarket and they are very good quality.

Also, there is a highly recommended lady in Hội An with a specialty shop that many expats use for custom linen services.

@OceanBeach92107

thanks for the info!

@OceanBeach92107
thanks for the info!

-@qnbui

Không có gì

😌

🙏

See you soon! ✈️