Exploring Nepal

Would I be safe to trek around Nepal alone? I would like someone to possibly meet me at the airport so I can settle for the first night. Should I employ a local to walk with me? I plan on coming in September and my friend here from Nepal said he can hook me up with his cousin or friend to show me around ( for a price I would imagine) the area. I would like to get close to the Himalaya range.
Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan,

Whilst I have gone on a few treks alone in Nepal it is not something I would advise or recommend for anyone.  Generally it is very safe, but there is always risk in everything and there have been some disappearances and murders of foreign travelers in recent years.

Kathmandu and nearby tourist areas are as safe as a European city, so dont worry about that, just dont walk at night with lots of jewelry or a very expensive camera etc, whilst looking a bit lost.

I spend alot of time living in Nepal and am about to return myself, I know a few guides and if you like could get their details for you when I am back in Kathmandu next month, being introduced through someone can often mean a cheaper price.  One thing you will learn is everyone in Nepal has a cousin or a friend that can do what-ever it is you are asking for, but they are not always the most trustworthy people to go with.

In reference to the airport, seriously I would not worry about that, the taxis there are good and will take you straight to which-ever hotel you are booked into.  However, you will find that they will ask about 600 rupees to take you to Thamel (the main tourist area), when if you keep asking they are more than happy to do it for 300.

If you want a ride from the airport just stop by the flat rate taxi stand there at the airport. They will give you a discount on a hotel room that comes with a free taxi ride. If you don't like the hotel then you can pay for the taxi and be done with them, but you can get a decent value for your first night or two. They will show you the brochure that gives the rack rate. Do keep in mind that the brochures are usually way over priced.

Be very careful when the other guy gets into the taxi and sits in the front seat. This guy is usually there to help you out of your money.

If you want to save money without cutting corners on quality check out Nepal: On a Budget eBook. Check out my blog for some money saving-fun making tips and tricks.

http://FrugalTravelsNepal.blogspot.com

I am replying to your post of March. I hope that you know by now that it is NOT a good idea of trekking alone and even hiring a guide should be looked into carefully. Go to the Thorn Tree postings from recent visitors in Nepal on the Lonely Planet web site, and please read the current posts. There have been a few murders and rapes and kidnappings and for a long time robbery has been a possibility. I am not trying to scare you, as most Nepalese are kind and helpful; but find a group that knows what they are doing. In the last ten years the Maoist uprising nearly closed down the country for tourists. Many parts of Nepal are still not safe. I don't understand why you would not know this.

Thanks, jmkrsna, for the prudent warning. This is a real pet-peeve of mine. If you come to Nepal and want to trek, it is very important to provide a job for someone here. Although they would like an hours pay for a days work, they will often settle for 500 NRs. for a full days' pay. That's only 5 euro/$6.

Please remember to provide a job for someone while you are here. It isn't just good karma, but it will also add to your enjoyment and make your time safer. No one deserves to be robbed or worse, but there is a resentment building that I've noticed here.

How can they add to your enjoyment? For example, I was walking along the trail when my guide pointed out a plant as she tried to tell me not to touch it. Well, she was too late and I got some poison in my finger that made it hurt until the next evening. Imagine if I had to squat in the woods! They know their country and will protect you from harm.

And if you want to go to the UNESCO sites please, please pay the admission. If you bring a copy of your visa and two passport size pictures you can go back for as long as your visa is good. There are also many free temple sites you can enjoy.

WARNING: If you get caught in the conservation areas without a permit you can get deported and have that stamped on your passport. If that happens you will have to go back to your home country even if you have a ticket for an around the world trip. The fine is pretty huge, also. If you did manage somehow to go on without returning home you will be met with a very bad welcome from each country you enter because they can see you got deported. I know someone who got caught and it was a big fine and deportation, so don't do it. There are many free trekking trails, so don't think you can't enjoy Nepal.

Nepal has something for everyone. Check out my blog at FrugalTravelsNepal.Blogspot.com for a lot of suggestions on making your trip to Nepal the most amazing vacation ever-on a budget. I write about things to do and see in-between major activities, great shopping values, how to stay safe here, etc.

jmkrsna,

just a little comment in regards to your previous post;  You say that the Maoists almost shut Nepal to tourism and that you do not know how someone can not know this; exactly what is your experience regarding this.  I have traveled Nepal during and after the People's war and have always visited Rolpa (the Maoist base area).

The reason for this is that the people there are extremely friendly and generous, they have even now set up a 'trekking tour' through that region which is available in any of the trekking offices in Kathmandu.

During the war I was shot at by the Royal Army (because I was trekking in Rolpa) and even beaten by Armed Police (because I took a single photo of a protest), but all I have ever experienced from the Maoists was generous (if rather basic and impoverished) hospitality.

I would be interested to know what your experiences of the war time in Nepal were like.